Menu
Expat.com

Finding building materials in Bulgaria

Last activity 22 February 2022 by KingaCo. Clare

KingaCo. Clare

4000 levs for 150 sqm sound better that 6300 for 100 metres.
this guy was from Plovdiv so he wanted to charge 1700 levs for accommodation and food... I will try to find a good engineer near Burgas instead

KingaCo. Clare

Burgas has many engineers luckily

gwynj

I think it's really hard to compare. It depends on what's included. If that's for a completely finished job, including all the materials... maybe it's good! Also the historic prices are less relevant now, as labour costs and material costs are definitely rising significantly. The same guy would charge much more this year than a couple of years ago.

I'd say I'd focus much more on how good the electrician is, and whether he's highly recommended. If he's local, even better. My Plovdiv guy had a very good endorsement, and when I found out he had done German-approved work it was very reassuring. Plus I gave him a couple of smaller jobs at my apartment to see what he was like first.

We all like to save money, and get a good price on renovation work. But getting a bodge done by some cowboy ends up far more expensive in the longer term.

For example, I shopped around online and got the very best deal on a big pellet stove for the house. It definitely is a good stove, at a very good price. But it's been sitting in my lounge now for 2 years, like a useless big lump of scrap. Because my online guys don't do installation (they wouldn't even bring it to the house, I just about killed myself getting it across the garden and up the stairs).

The smart play would have been to go to my local guys who would have loved to sell me a stove and do all the installation for me. Would have cost a lot more, but it would have been done.

Instead, muggins here had to install it himself. And we all know how well that worked out! :-)

ScarlettR

My quote was 2380 lev for a complete rewire of a fairly large house, not to include sockets, light switches etc. 
About 75 % of the work has been done and to a good standard, however due to rising costs I have now been asked for a further 3000 lev which has more than doubled the cost.
The quote was pre covid, so it two years old and I am not really too upset over the sudden increase. I am expecting all the work on that quote to be upped in price now, so it is a good thing the roof, windows and rendering have already been done.

KingaCo. Clare

Well , like I said . My quotation for everything done, cables , fuse boxes , ect ect done to the highest standard including labour was 6300 . all done with by highly skilled electrician.
The only thing that puts me off is the fact that he lives  far away, like I said . Would be nice to have it done cheaper, but I'd rather have it properly installed at the higher price  and sleep well at night .
I have to get a quote from local company. My next step

mr. nice7321

Are you near veliko tarnovo?

KingaCo. Clare

Prilep, Burgas .

Articles to help you in your expat project in Bulgaria

All of Bulgaria's guide articles