Menu
Expat.com

Missing home?

Last activity 28 April 2017 by tayyab bajwa

SimCityAT

What do you miss from your homeland?

I can honestly say I can't think of anything that I miss. I know of some people that have a moan because they can't get this and that or if they can get it, they are paying to much for it.

I made the move, so I have to live with my new surroundings, culture and way of life....

Do you miss anything?

madamemoi

Yes alot. Miss milkshake from home, special chocolate that I can't get here,snow,bread,kebab!

beppi

I only missed bread (yes, German bread is the best in the world!).
Now that I'm back in my country, I miss a lot more that I had while abroad ...

JRE_China

For me its that things go ask planned and there are no extra surprises.
Also The scandinavian Sauna

Bob K

If you are asking about missing something from my home country then the answer is not much.  Maybe  good steak once in a while
If you are asking about my "home" then I miss it all when I am not here in my home in the Dominican Republic. Though uninterrupted 24 hour electricity would be nice

Bob K

JRE_China

The other thing would be uninterrupted internet

nileshtks

Sure everyone misses their homeland.

Same like for me I miss everything: - The food, the climate, freedom to do anything, especially i miss my family and friends.

kojidae

I think that missing things from home doesn't necessarily mean that you aren't dealing with your choice/embracing your life in a new country. It is natural to miss things from home and it is natural (not weak) to occasionally moan about it. Living in a new culture and way of life does not have to mean turning your back on the positive aspects of the place you left.

I miss being able to get several types of food- ethiopian, indian, japanese and mexican without having to arrange a special trip for it. Although I have learned to cook homemade mexican food here, I definitely miss being able to quickly get a taco or burrito for a couple bucks. I also miss my job opportunities back home. I worked in youth development with an emphasis in outdoor education and, apart from setting up my own program here, there aren't a lot of work options in that field. Of course, what I miss most are my friends and community back home. I knew some very special people.

Fred

I miss the winters
I miss the drug addicts
I miss the drunks
I don't miss the kebabs because I can get them here
I do miss the fantastic range of Indian food

I'll stand the loss of Indian food because I'm well out if the rest of it.

GuestPoster279

Authentic Mexican cuisine served with a top notch Margarita.

GuestPoster279

I miss my Dodge Power Wagon 4x4 Truck...Vroooom. (318 engine)

Fred

I will now order a BBQ pizza to guarantee avoiding any homesickness this afternoon.

rvera

Yes of course I miss mexican food, god I'm craving for some tacos al pastor right now or enchiladas or sopes, something with real mexican flavor. The only flavor I got is frijoles bayos and jalapeño.

kojidae

I've actually had my mom bring over different pepper seeds and black beans when she came to visit so I could plant them. I can't get my hands on harina to make good corn tortillas, but my flour tortillas are not too shabby. I definitely am not ready to make the corn toritllas from absolute scratch yet though.

My friends around here really like the flautas and enchiladas that I make. If I enjoyed cooking more I would think about opening a little restaurant. wink.png

ARB360

Indeed! The Dodge 318 is 50 years young now, and remains a butt-kicking engine.

ARB360

What I miss most about my home country is:
1. Big Breakfast, w/ pancakes, and a 100% Columbian cup of coffee @ Mickey D's
2. Chili w/Chips, plus a large Chocolate Frostee @ Wendy's
3. TexMex cuisine (everything on the menu), w/ a large Margarita Smoothy @ Taco_Cabana
4. Shopping @ the Walmart Super Center
5. Ballroom dancing with a home-grown North_American girl (all ethnicities)
6. Enjoyable "Magic Dragon" style (Scrabble-based) conversations, w/ true colleagues.

ecoheart

What about cerviche?

Omay

i miss my Family and frends smile.png

Nonick4

I miss food and weather a lot..

beppi
Nonick4 wrote:

I miss food and weather a lot..

Food and weather exist in all places you can go.
Have an open mind and accept the ones of where you are!

ARB360

7. I also miss the pronounced absence of arrogant "know-it-all" Western expats, who readily embrace the (boudoir-based-maid) mentality of "Eye Candy Only" Asian females, while rejecting the far more cognitively adept Western womenfolk, of whom hail from within their own homeland cultural bases. Go figure! whistle.gif

Anyway, spring has officially arrived, and this snowbird is about to take another Cathay_Pacific flight to Seattle. Yes! See y'all again in October, cheers.png

ARB360

Absolutely. Thanks for the reminder. Cheers.

ARB360

Great comment! Thanks for sharing the thought. Definitely a phrase well-worth remembering. My applause to you. Cheers

kojidae

Missing what was once home does not mean that you do not accept or appreciate what you have now. You can feel both things at once.

Andrwea

I miss my family very much , except that I would move to live in Belgium forever anytime 😂 . The first amazing thing about Belgium is that people are open minded  .

frenchyguy

I miss cheese 🧀 The only thing OK in my country

GuestPoster279

They have a fairly decent selection of cheeses in the grocery stores and expat-catering delis/shops. Maybe not your standard, but good enough for some.

frenchyguy

Yes, some OK cheese but a little bit (or really) expensive... I'm waiting some box from my family ahahah...

JRE_China

Vietman is right on some level its good, and there are many shops that can provide the need. But then again its not same some everyone.

There are things that you learn how to live and then things that others that cannot be replaced like friends and family

GuestPoster279

The problem is the cost to live here like back home is exponentially more expensive. You need to become more like the Vietnamese. big_smile.png

yam91975

so true ,,thats why you had to live district 5, or 10

nileshtks
nileshtks wrote:

Sure everyone misses their homeland.

Same like for me I miss everything: - The food, the climate, freedom to do anything, especially i miss my family and friends.

Adding to this, the main thing i miss is INDIAN CULTURE

yam91975

so true , food, manners and courtesy

kojidae

ZOMG- France has the best running culture, though. I miss it and I was only part of it once! They have all these off road marathons all over the country and the same people show up at them over and over again... But the cheese is good, too.

thenakoma

I miss home so much... mostly my friends. Some of what I now miss is what drove me away from the American culture. I hate the idea of capitalism, but I miss the convenience it offers. I miss the inexpensive possibilities of going out, having whatever kind of food I felt like, at any hour of the day. I miss drive thru stuff... lol.. and inexpensive nail salons... and cheddar cheese. Okay yes, I am whining now. But, you did ask. smile.png

Most importantly, I miss my friends. And thanks for asking.

Ruffian Dick

I miss places that are not my home, but places which I have visited or lived in for a time. I miss Hawai'i! I miss France. Of course I miss Thailand as well, but I will be returning there soon and for keeps!

HeartDisk

is there anything to forget from your homeland

Neo75

I miss home, but  I'm coming back soon. I miss my old father and my Italian friends. I'd like to meet new people in Tunisia. But I love the Tunisian sun and sea.

rage25

I miss my homeland . . . I miss the food. .  I miss the freedom . . .  This country is  the most peaceful and disciplined Id ever been . . .  yes it is. .  but it really gets me bored. . I do admire people here . . i appreciate their customs and tradition. .

JRE_China

Agreed, that need to be open minded, when move to another country. However some food cannot be found from Shanghai and some weather conditions we do not have.

Articles to help you in your expat project

All guide articles