Menu
Expat.com

Recently moved to San Luis Potosí

Last activity 21 June 2024 by andrey cobalyob

Melina666

Hi my name is Melina
Me and my fiancé moved to San Luis Potosí few month ago . I love the country and the city I live in. It's a very happy country .  The  only thing is that I can't find much English speaking people around and because my Spanish is not as good that I can communicate easily I feel alone . My fiancé is always at work and it's a bit hard to get around with my level of Spanish. Plus I want to work here but I'm on tourist visa for now I'm getting my temporary staying permit after my marriage. But I don't know if Im allowed to work with that or not sad.png but the important thing is I'm getting depressed without anyone who speaks my language sad.png

travellight

Have you thought of taking  Spanish language classes ? Even with little Spanish, taxis are fairly easy to deal with. Perhaps someone where your fiance works would have an idea. It is an area rich with museums, and art culture, there has to be a way for you to connect.
http://www.spanishschools.com.mx/more-s … s-potosi/, There are also several English speaking restaurants there.

How did you connect in the other countries you lived in ? Is English your primary language ?

Melina666

Hi
I am taking Spanish classes  and I understand more that I can speak .I have no problem  With taxis and even Shoping . The problem is making friends and someone that I can talk in English  and maybe learn more about the culture . I know having local friends help me more to improve my Spanish but sometimes u just need someone to fully understand what you're saying without u have to try hard to explain . I even want to go to some classes that I'm interested about but all of  them require more Spanish skills that I have . .
And regarding to your second question
No not exactly. I was. Born in London but I was 10 when my family decided to move back to Iran . So no my mother language is Farsi.

travellight

Well, it sounds like your not so isolated after all, good for you.

Maybe you can find some of those friends who want to practice English, while helping with your Spanish. It takes a long time to become really fluent in Spanish.Even when you do , the life you know might be hard for others to understand. Someone born here who has always lived here, will have trouble with understanding the differences. 

You actually have more languages to practice with than most. Do you have Facebook or Whatsapp where you can talk to family and friends ?

Buena suerte.

Melina666

Yes  almost everyday I'm talking with my family anymy friends through WhatsApp and Facebook  . But ok they are not here  that actually makes me feel more alone . But yea it's about time for me To get more involved. Well yea u right there's a huge gap between my lifestyle and Mexicans lifestyle.

alleycat1

When you have multiple languages another language will come very fast compared to only having 1 language. We, my wife and I,  live in SLP also.

travellight

There you go, someone in the same city that speaks English  wink.png

Melina666

Hi . Yes my Spanish getting better daily. I understand most of it but still doesn't have enough confidence to speak. . I so glad that u live here . smile.png

Melina666

Yes finally someone in my city who speaks English yeeey smile.png

Melina666

Hi I took your advice and finally found some friends here. I completely forgot about Couchsurfing. So I went there and hanged out with some awesome group of people wink.png

travellight

Excellent  Melina  cool.png

nikolas4squid

Other than being away from family and trying to fit in and find friends, etc., what do you think of San Luis Potosi? Have you been to other cities in Mexico that you can compare it to favorably or otherwise?

edith97x2000

@Melina666   hello dont worries you can have a couple of friends. my husband and i we’ven very often in thar city of SLP.

Bhavna

@edith97x2000

Hello and welcome !

The post is from 2017. She hasn't visited the website in years...

Regards

Bhavna

andrey cobalyob

In mexico, can someone get job ?

Bhavna

@andrey cobalyob

Hello and welcome !

This is an old thread ... What kind of job ?

Regards

Bhavna

andrey cobalyob

@Bhavna

excuse me could you tell me who you are?

Cheryl

Hello andrey cobalyob,

Bhavna is a moderator.

Could you please provide us with more details so that we can assist you properly?

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

andrey cobalyob

i am going to go to mexico city next month.

so i want to get friend from mexico

how can i get new friend from mexico?

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mexico

• Dating in Mexico
    Dating in Mexico

We can recognize an intrinsic spark of love in the Mexican culture, "la serenata." Remember that ...

• Leisure activities in Mexico
    Leisure activities in Mexico

Mexico has activities for everyone: from exciting adventure to peaceful relaxation, high culture to rowdy street ...

• Working in Cancun
    Working in Cancun

Cancun and surrounding areas are popular destinations for both tourists and expatriates alike. Cancun is the ...

• Accommodation in Cancun
    Accommodation in Cancun

Like in other parts of Mexico, the best way to find accommodation in Cancun is by searching for one while ...

• Travelling around Mexico
    Travelling around Mexico

One of the best parts about living in Mexico is being able to travel across the country. Mexico may appear small ...

• Childcare and education in Mexico
    Childcare and education in Mexico

Many Mexicans' lives, young and old, revolve around family issues. Children are accepted on most social ...

• Buying property in Mexico City
    Buying property in Mexico City

People travel from all across the globe to reside in Latin America because of its cultural richness and usually ...

• Study in Mexico
    Study in Mexico

If you're planning to move to Mexico with your family or choose to study there, here is all you need to know ...

All of Mexico's guide articles