ID cards

Have to go get my ID cards sorted this week.  Can anybody confirm what I will need to take regarding documentation for me, hubby and kids please.

Also, where in Valletta do we go to please?

Many thanks

Jules
x

I dont know where you are from or what your situation is, but if you are an EU citizen bring your ID card and your in.... 

Chad

If your not, Bring everything and consider a DNa sample, ...   My wife is EU, I am not... Still working on mine...

Chad

Howdy,

Don't have an ID card, although do have a British Passport, being a Limey n'all  hehe

Apart from passports, birth certificates, marriage certificate do I need anything else?

:o

Nope...  Your golden!  I'd bring the birth/marriage just to have them, but 98% you wont need them...

Chad

You might find it useful to complete, or at least consider, this form in advance.  But they will give you one if you don't bring it.

http://www.electoral.gov.mt/getresource.aspx?id=65

You are going to something called the Evans Building in Valletta.  It's at the far end of town from the main city gate.  The easiest way to find it is to follow the many signs to the Malta Experience tourist attraction.  It's over the road from there.

It's pretty easy for EU - one of the more (if not only!)efficient Malta Govt. institutions!

Kids don't get ID cards until age 14.

Tim

...and as you're relatively new here - one of the important things to get sorted when you have your residence permit is to make sure you are getting the "residential tariff" for electricity - it makes a HUGE difference. We've just found out we're NOT, having thought it was all sorted months ago and it's costing us hundreds of extra Euros :-(

ARMS (the people who do billing for Enemalta and the Water Company) are notoriously slow and send out bills months late so until you actually see a bill you might not realize you aren't on the residential tariff and then it's too late.

You just can't assume anything or take anything for granted in Malta - I thought we'd hit every obstacle...but there's always one more.

Sorry to hijack the thread...but I'm pissed off and if I can save someone else the hassle/cost at least that's something!

Tim

Hi,

I am fortunate that my parents already live here so we were aware of the two tariff system.  Is the one you are referring to where you declare how many occupants live in the property and you are given an allowance against your billing for that?

:)

I think what he is refering to is that locals and residence pay MUCH lower rates than those who are not ..

Chad

me3512 wrote:

I think what he is refering to is that locals and residence pay MUCH lower rates than those who are not ..

Chad

its not whether you are local or not (which is why although its discriminatory, it isn't illegal discrimination) - many locals pay the higher rates on 2nd homes - its solely about residency at the property in question, and you can only be resident at one place

glad you clarified... thank youj

NO WAY!!!!!!  no wonder my bills are so high!!!!!  I cant believe there are 2 systems!!!  At present, I live part UK part Malta .....I wonder if its worth getting permanent residency??

First of all your bill has to be in your name - this can be a problem with some landlords if you are renting. All you then need to do is apply for a residency permit and get a tax number - take them to Enemalta and sorted

Actually it's take them to Water Services Corp in Luqa - I know because I went to Enemalta to get it sorted yesterday and they told us we had to go to WSC in Luqa - which I will do next week.

You will need to fill in the ‘Registration of Change in Consumer' form (downloadable from www.wsc.com.mt) and get the Landlord's signature to get the meter switched to your name - cost €4 (approx). Then take that to WSC where you'll need to fill in another form and prove residency status and make a €450 approx. deposit...at least that's how the people at Enemalta explained it to us yesterday.

Maybe different in Gozo though george, but that seems to be the process here.

Tim

For somethings Enemalta and WSC are the same, sometimes completely separate - deposit is interesting - if you are resident and an EU citizen, I thought they (they being any company) can only ask for a deposit if they also ask a Maltese citizen for one

The form states:
"A person who is not from the European Union has to pay a deposit of €466.
A European Union citizen who does not provide a signed deed of sale of property or official proof of ownership or a signed notary declaration, has to pay a deposit of €466.
"

Tim

that makes sense - so no discrimination between Maltese and other EU citizens

Hi,

I went to get an ID card when I first came here in Feb 2011 but was told I could not have one because my name is not the same as either of my parents. It was changed offically years ago and I don't even have the papers now. I have my passport and of course it is all legal (can't have one if it is not). The guy at the office told me to go back to the UK and change my name to that of my Father and re-apply ! That is impossible. I have been asked to go pick up my residency card though, so it seems weird that you apply for your residency (OR) using your passport and your work permit. Both get granted but the ID card is turned down. Any answers? Anyone?

I applied for my residency, once that is issued in the next couple months I can get my ID card. ( I am american )

My Polish wife got hers the day we got in country.

Chad

we have been here three years now and we found it very easy to get the id card and the residency certs - also the bills we have are not in our name but the landlords and we are named consumers - but we proved our residency and id cards etc - we dont work - retired - and we had no problem getting the lower tarrifs.

Im very confused I have applied for an ID card it has been accepted and I am planning on going to collect it but I am unsure as to whether I should have it.  I am a homeowner on the island and have been since 2005.  I am here for 18 weeks a year but my residence is that of the UK.  I have a bank account in Malta too.  I have not applied for a residence permit or anything.  Can I just have an ID card without this residence permit?  I applied for an ID card as I am always being asked for one and I jus thought it a good idea?
Thanks

Only residents of Malta can have an ID card. If you have an ID card you also must have a residence card and a tax number.

Should you have an ID card ? If you stay for more than 3 months in a go, you are a resident (at least for that period of time), so yes, if not, then no.

ps when you applied for your id card you signed a declaration stating you were a resident of Malta

Thanks for your reply
I do not recall signing a form saying that?  I was told by someone that I could apply for one that is why I did it.  I wont bother collecting it then.
Or do I have to deregister - my card isnt issued as when I went the machine broke and I have to go and have my picture taken again

its on the ID application form, unless its recently changed

http://www.electoral.gov.mt/getresource.aspx?id=88

SIGNED DECLARATION BY APPLICANT
I, the undersigned, do hereby declare that to the best of my knowledge all of the above information is true and correct. I do further declare that:
(a) I am resident in Malta and have been residing in Malta or in ( _________________________________________ ) since _____________;

Do you spend 3 months or more at a time in Malta ?

I do recall not actually filling in anything just signing
Obviously I cannot have one and I have been advised incorrectly so what do I do - thanks

did you use the form I linked to above, or has it changed ?

Yes I believe it was that form

I spend 18 weeks per year here  which is more than 3 months but its all through the school holidays - the longest period being the summer

George - what do you suggest I do please

do you spend more than 3 months at one time ?

There are two issues

1. are you resident ?
2. do you want to be resident ?

When you are in Malta, what is your health coverage/insurance ?

If the answer to 2. is no, then you can easily break a stay of over 3 months by going to Sicily for the day

I own a property here and have done since 2005.  I mived in 2008 and since then I have spent 18 weeks per year in Malta,  Eventually I will retire here with my husband so in years to come I will be resident
But what should I do now

I use my Blue card from the UK if I need to but often or not I use a private doctor for trivial things at a pharmacy

do you spend more than 3 months at a time ?

When you are in Malta, what is your health coverage/insurance ?

residency and property ownership are different things - owning a property makes no difference as to what you should do

maltalass wrote:

I use my Blue card from the UK if I need to but often or not I use a private doctor for trivial things at a pharmacy

your EHIC ? You cannot use that in Malta if you are resident in Malta - its for tourists only

I suspect your best option is to be not resident in Malta. That means restricting each visit to 3 months max (spending a day in Sicily if necessary to restart the clock)

George Thanks for your help on this - so what do I do now Im not going to go to Valetta tomorrow to get my picture done and my card issued - or do I have to tell them

Im resident in UK basically but soend 18 weeks per year here in Malta as I own a property

TBH I'm not sure - I suggest doing nothing, and if they chase you, say your circumstances have changed and you are not resident now