Bringing a 30year old vehicle to the D R I have been told you can.

Everywhere I read says a vehicle can not be over 5years old. Maybe someone can give me some advice on this subject. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I believe that you can bring in an antique vehicle over 25 years of age. I am sorry I dont know how its done!

And welcome to the forums!!!

There is some sort of provision for "antique" vehicles but just being 30 years old does not qualify.  I bet there are some cabs running around that are that old.  You will need to check with an import lawyer or check the rules (in Spanish) on the government web site.

Bob K

Thanks Bob K I guess will have to talk to Lawyer for advice.

I have a couple of classic cars that I would like to bring here. I'll be speaking to my lawyer about it soon and will report back to what I find out.

Awesome! Keep us posted.

Best advice.....forget about it.

I am going to be moving soon, and wondered how it worked out for you on moving your cars. I have a couple I want to bring myself!

How old are your vehicles?  and welcome to the forums!

It's about 50 years old. I was wondering whether the one poster had any luck discussing with his lawyer

Best advice.......don't bother. Save yourself all the trouble and expense.........and , the great danger of losing it.

Wow.  Sadly Colonel is right.  It will be beat up by the roads here and  if you live anywhere near the ocean the salt air is brutal. 

Let me see what I can find out too.

Look around. There are many 10, 15 & 20 year old cars running around. They are well kept & not riven with rust. Yes some roads are terrible but not all of them.  Do you drive your old ones regularly? Undercoated? It will be expensive & time consuming to bring them here, that is true. It really depends on your desire & resources. You want them here, bring them here.  Accept the hassles , jump when they say jump, pay what the say to pay & enjoy your cars here. If you do it, don't ever complain about it.  I wish you well however you decide. Sit back, have a libation & laugh at the trials & tribulations that life presents us.  Welcome to the island.

Sometimes your comments make me laugh out loud.  10 15 and 20 year old cars?  YES beat up  hondas and toyotas! Beat the hell up by bad roads and bad drivers.  They are not well kept.

At least 50% of the cars on the roads would never be allowed in most other countries! 

Your other points are true -  it will be expensive to bring, expensive to maintain here!

You never notice the well kept ones. hardly anyone knows what the older models look like. BASIC BODY SHAPES HAVEN'T CHANGED THAT MUCH. eVERYONE SEES THE  CRAP FIRST 'CAUSE it is ugly. ( sorry wrong key strike)  Proper care is the key to longevity. Look at Cuba, 40-50 year old cars looking brand new.  I don't think his car is a piece of junk. Having a car that old means he takes good care of its' upkeep. Informing him of the pitfalls is a good thing, however the decision in the end is his.

Wasn't referring to his car. Was referring to your comment about the cars on the roads here my friend.

Thanks! It's depressing when the "classics" are younger than me....

I agree.  To qualify here vehicle must be over 25 years old. I have a lawyer finding out the process for us.

[Post under review]

Last time I check it could not be more than 6 y/o , but I legal opion is essential.
The dominant car that I see where we live is Honda CRV. One must consider spare parts and repairs. You don't want to have parts ordered from off the island . I have only heard terrible experiences trying to retrieve your vehicle once it arrives. ( my experience not to be generalized ).

It is 5 years of age unless you are referring to a vintage vehicle then it is over 25 years old.

If valid I stand corrected but I know that they are working on extending the age as we speak. I was trying present a complete picture with options. The elephant in the room is being a potential crime victim which The colonel had referenced this fact but did not mention how many times the police will pull him over. Presevation of life is job number one and I guess I was responding to several romantic notions that kept going unchecked.  Besides a vintage car in DR is an axsimoron. My brother in law's truck is 22 years old. I wish the gentleman luck and I am sure with your resources you be a terrific help as you have been for me after reading several of your posts.

I will be interested to know the facts as well.
Just to add a point.  I have two vehicles
1  Nissan X-trail that is in pristine shape and is now 13 years old (looks almost brand new)
2  Jeep wrangler that is looking a bit beat up but still looks good and runs well and is now 21 years old.
Both would easily pass US standards for road worthiness.
So it is possible to have older cars in good shape but you need to take care of them
Bob K

[Post under review]

Wait you have Jesus importing cars now...wow

Bob K

Again very valid point - under the radar is always a good idea!

Bob drives older vehicles.

I drive a 2008 Daihatsu Terios

Most of my friends and associates drive older vehicles.

The only people I know driving new are Dominicans and newbies!

Never hurts to repeat - stay under the radar. Don't flaunt what you have. Don't carry wads of cash. Flash jewelery. Expensive purses. Don't invite everyone over to see what you have in your house.

Driving a vintage car may be asking for trouble.

I will still post the process when I have it.

DR law 168 might be of assistence.

[Post under review]

Car & you safer here than Chicago, Detroit or many other locations in the states. But of course you  must beware of golf carts!

@the tinker40, love your comment. Having vintage cars is the only hobby I have. I'm planning on retiring as soon as I sell my properties and moving back to the land where I was born. I drive my old cars daily, not like some people that only drive them on weekends or special occasions (off course, they're not show quality but dependable as long as I have a pair of pliers and a couple of screw drivers. I really don't care for new cars, they're boring, full of sensors, chips, sensors and they don't last as much. You also can't work on new cars unless you have a good OBD II scanner and a bunch of special tools. As for the bad roads and ocean spray? I live by the coast of California and, as long as you keep them clean, it's ok if I have a good paint job that happens every 10-15 years. Even more time to spend on my cars. I refused to drive newer cars because they are boring. Everything is possible and I know it might cost me some $$$ to bring them but it will be all worth it. Plus, I'll have all the time in my hand to work on them. 🤪😜

Hello RatMilk1946,

Welcome !

Tinker40's last appearance on the forum was 4 years ago...This is an old thread., Please start your own topic on the Dominican Republic forum so that active members can guide you.

All the best

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed