Registration for non-residents a.k.a temporary BSN

Hi again.

I sympathise; on behalf of us all, I wish you all the best.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hey Cynic,
I read these posts and I was wondering if you could help me in my case. I have started online my master degree at VU Amsterdam in September 2020. Since then, I am still living in Romania (an EU country), so I didn't move yet to Amsterdam. Now, I was looking forward to having an online part-time job (from the Netherlands), but no one is going to hire me without a BSN.
I was thinking of going to NL for making the registration, BSN, bank account and come back to Romania until August (in September there's a big chance I might have on-campus courses). So in this case, would it be reasonable to make a temporary BSN or the permanent one? I saw you have mentioned it is possible to register with a hotel/Airbnb address, but it seems a bit fishy for me to do that and then return to my country. Moreover, if you register at a hotel address, do you have to deregister when leaving the hotel? If this is the case, it would make no sense to register only for the couple of days you spend in the hotel, only if the BSN will still remain valid to use it for work. Sorry for all this mess XD Hope you can give me a piece of good advice!
Kind regards,
Sveta

Hey Lumisveta,

I know you did not adress me, but I could not  read your post and not answer.
For a BSN, it is initially not necessary to register with an adress. An RNI for 4 months will do. You do not have to give your adress to the Gemeente for that.
Once you found a job, and once you have permanent housing, you could consider registring officially as an inhabitant. But mind you, and not many people know this:
In order to register in a gemeente, you not only need your birth certificate and a declaration about being married or not married. You will also need permission of the house owner from whom you rent a house or room. Not every house owner gives this permission. I have never heard though that people from the EU with only RNI got kicked out of the country, so it is not a disaster when your RNI expires.

Kind Regards,
Angelika

Just to add to what Angelika has said, if you do not have an actual address, you will need to give a correspondence address so you can be contacted.

This brochure (link) explains the whole thing in detail.

Thank you both for your reply!
One more thing to ask: do you know if the "permission of the house owner from whom you rent a house or room" must be for the whole 4 months or it can be like only for two weeks?
Kind regards,
Sveta

It can be for as long or short as the house owner wants. He is the boss :)

Hi there!
This is my first time writing at expat.com, as I signed up after reading through this great thread. Thanks to all of you who have clarified the doubts and questions of so many throughout the years this thread has lasted.

I have a new question to add here:
- I'm planning to move to Amsterdam for 8 to 9 months, starting this October, as my wife will be starting her Masters there. The thing is: I'm not planning to work in the Netherlands but rather continue working for the Portuguese company I work for (working remotely from Amsterdam).

Will there be any problem with this situation? Will I have any issue in getting by BSN under these circumstances (provided I get an address beforehand, of course)?

Thanks a lot in advance.

@Chinstermb I got some friends who can let me stay in their apartment for a few months while using my rni bsn to get a job and then an apartment, do I need landlords permission to get the rni with that address? I'm afraid they might say no if we ask..

@Selim1984uk did you ask the landlord for permission or registered without letting them know?

@Chinstermb I got some friends who can let me stay in their apartment for a few months while using my rni bsn to get a job and then an apartment, do I need landlords permission to get the rni with that address? I'm afraid they might say no if we ask..
-@Sergiu120

Hi again.

One of the documents they will ask you to bring is your tenancy agreement for the address you are living at.  If you have that, you do not need a formal letter from your landlord; if you are living with a friend, then you will need written permission from the landlord/owner of that property to live at the address.

I hope this helps.

Cynic

Expat Team

@Cynic I think you're confusing the correspondence address with the RNI. According to this form it requires only your address. https://www.rvig.nl/binaries/rvig/docum … nen_EN.pdf

@Cynic I think you're confusing the correspondence address with the RNI. According to this form it requires only your address. [link under review]+niet+ingezetenen_EN.pdf
-@Sergiu120

Hi again.

Why don't you try calling the Gemeente and asking?  They will send you a list of the documents they require you to show.

Cynic

Expat Team