First shanghai expat blog get together

Zarn wrote:

Oh I missed the second one! I hope to see you again guys before I leave for the Philippines. If not, I will see you again in June!

Hey Zarn,
how's your visa thingy?

Hi, guys! I had a great time last gathering. Sorry about the bill, i need to pay my overdraft back asap :p
Have you decided the next spot? I saw a bar on the 2nd floor of Jiuguang department, Jing'an Temple. I'm going to check it out. catch you guys soon!

vincent_t wrote:
Zarn wrote:

Oh I missed the second one! I hope to see you again guys before I leave for the Philippines. If not, I will see you again in June!

Hey Zarn,
how's your visa thingy?

Hi there Vince!

They just let me apply for a re entry permit.. good thing I need not to re apply for a new one..

great, after a month this threat grew to 2 pages.... apparently the first thread under shanghai board that has more than a page and still survive....
Probably we should put up some kind of party when we hit 10 pages....:rolleyes: wonder when it would be

Hi Cheny, what time the bar closed BTW?

Zarn, good. 1 less thing to worry about, then let's catch up in the get-together.

cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/listings/nightlife/bars/has/windows-too/
Here is the link of the bar--- Windows Too, JiuGuang Branch

i know a restaurant that has huge space, nice food, variety of board games, a pool table and tv. but it is very far away. gubei. papa bierstube. not a posh place but not exactly cheap either.

another place worth checking out is, Life Cafe it is on Julu Lu, around 10mins walk from South shaanxi rd metro station. nice couches.

i have another place in mind, will come back with more details.

ok here it is...and sorry it is only in chinese. there isnt any english website covering this place.

dianping.com/shop/3038890

i have been to the branch on xietu lu once with some of my colleagues last yr, we had a bbq party in the courtyard and played fussball.

i think they have another branch on julu lu as well but i have nv been there.

Hey Lea Lea,

Seems like you have some great suggestions there, especially for the ones on Julu Lu as that's centrally located. Unfortunately I can't find anything online on this Life Cafe you are talking about; do you have the exact address?

And for the other bar, I'm afraid I can't read nor speak chinese so non-comprehensive for me...do you happen to have the exact address of their Julu Lu branch as well?

Thx

I think Lea Lea might be referring to this:
427号 Julu Road Luwan, 卢湾区, China, 200020 - 021-52288027

cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/listings/dining/cafes/has/life-cafe/

drunkendonuts wrote:

I think Lea Lea might be referring to this:
427号 Julu Road Luwan, 卢湾区, China, 200020 - 021-52288027

cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/listings/dining/cafes/has/life-cafe/

Thanks drunkendonuts!

thats the one i am talking about.

on the 30th, MONO (post-rock band) is playing in MAO Livehouse too! how exciting!

You're welcome Lea Lea!
Just realized we're 3 days away to the 30th! Have we decided on a location? Looking forward to meeting you guys.

hey all, I'm gonna try to check out the mentioned spots tonight or tomorow, but more suggestions are always welcome. Keep an eye on the board, I will post the location on Friday at the latest.

Ok, I visited the Life cafe and I think it's the perfect spot to start the evening. It really feels like someone's living room and I think it basically is :) It offers a relaxed atmosphere, so it's perfect to have a chat and a drink before heading to noisier places in Shanghai's nightlife.

Ok, here are the directions, follow them carefully as it can be tricky to find the place.

Address is 427 Julu Road / near Shaanxi Nan road. From the intersection Julu road/Shaanxi Nan road you head east on Julu road and after about 15m you spot on your right hand side a sign of the Life Café painted on a wall (this is right accross a boutique called 'Da Mode' or 'La Mode'). Here you have to enter a little alley all the way to the back. There you go up the stairs at your right, and walk in to what might look someone's back door.

If you're afraid of not finding it, PM me for my phone nr.

See you there!

Nice..I'm actually going there for coffee in the afternoon..:D

What time will you all be there?

Gettogether starts at 8PM, see you there :)

to all who can't find that place, you can call me too. my flat's a stone's throw away from life cafe.

pm me for my mobile number. :)

Hi Vincent, I will be at shanghai on may 8 till 15. Pls invite me if u hav such of authoring again

Hezell82 wrote:

Hi Vincent, I will be at shanghai on may 8 till 15. Pls invite me if u hav such of authoring again

Hi Hazell,
sure thing, the next get-together would be on 14-May-11, 8pm.
Anyway, we haven't fix the venue yet, and we are open for suggestion.
Once the venue is fixed, we will post the details here. You could text me via vinse3@hotmail.com in case.

Cheers

Hi guys,
it was another fun get-together last Saturday.
We have a couple of new members joined us, and I am sure all of us enjoyed the good talk and laughter.

I would like to express gratitude to Lea Lea for recommending the Life Cafe. I personally like the comfortable environment and background music, feel like being home somewhat. Also, Life Cafe could reserve the upper floor for us if we plan to have our get-together there in the future.That makes it very close to be a perfect place for our function.

Anyway, I believe for the next get-together we shall try other new places before we settle down for a particular cafe. We have another 13 days to the next get-together, so keep the suggestions coming :D. Of coz, you could vote for Life Cafe instead of going for new place if you find it as the ideal place for our function.

hey...it's my pleasure! 

try the other place i mentioned in my previous post. the one that i posted a link on. slightly out of the way but great great place with tons of things to do. we could even organise a bbq gathering in their courtyard.

Great thing you have happening. Just joined the blog today so am very happy to see this kind of thing happening. Hope to see you at the next event!
Cheers!

Lea Lea,
Day Day Holiday? Yup, looks like a good place too.

Hi guys, shall we have the next get-together @ Day Day Holiday then? And any new suggestion we will keep it for the future get-together after the next 1, agree?

The cafe has 2 branches, 1 in Luwan district and another in Xuhui district. We are heading to the Xuhui 1. I am not able to get hold of the location in English, but you can get an idea of the location by keying "China Shanghai Xu Hui Qu Xie Tu Lu 2200号" into google map. It seems very straight forward to get there though.

BTW, I am thinking that we should try Boxing Cat Brewery @ Sinan Mansion in the future.

AmandaBDG wrote:

Great thing you have happening. Just joined the blog today so am very happy to see this kind of thing happening. Hope to see you at the next event!
Cheers!

Hi Amanda,welcome and hope to see you on next Sat night (14-May)

When is the next meet guys?

Hey, next meeting is May 14, 2011. Keep an eye on the blog for the location, as we haven't decided yet and we would love to try out different spots before we settle for one location for our gettogether. Btw, if you have any suggestions on a good location, we'd love to hear them.

Hello guys, it's Laura Chen, the Taiwanese who was at the Windows a few weeks ago. Finally managed to find you guys over this topic....Missed out the gathering last night, will try to make it for next Sat.

Hello Jun and Vincent, I would still like to organize an ASEAN gathering though :)

peshng, although we appreciate any effort to invite people over at our gettogether, I am more than convinced this is not what the people I met so far at these gettogethers are looking for...
Personally, I disapprove any attempts for commercial advertising or publicity in this particular thread or at the gettogether, and this sure looks like such an attempt.

peshng wrote:

Account Deleted

How distasteful!

peshng wrote:

Account=Deleted

Hey Lea Lea, my point exactly :), guess i tried to be diplomatic, but all i wanted to say was: screw you with your website! Ooh feels so much better to be frank n direct.

Lea Lea wrote:

How distasteful!

Hello dear members,

The member "peshng" seems to be a spammer [(S)he Copy-paste the same link on 8 threads] and his account was deleted!

->You can also use the report link to alert us of any spam or other inappropriate content.

(Sorry for the off-topic)

Hi there,

would like to join n U guys. so when s the next meeting? :)

Next meeting is coming Saturday, May 14 at Day Day Holiday.

Address is: Xuhui District, No. 8, Lane 2200 Xie Tu Road, (Near Dong'An Road). Nearest subway stops are Dong'an Road (line 4 & 7) and Zhaojiabang road (line 7 & 9).

See you all there!

Probably can't make it this weekend - you guys have fun :)

Hi acturally the street s called XieTu Road... kkk :)

c u guys!

Hi all was good meetup last night... looking forward the next ^^

hey!
Just saw this message thread, just landed in Shanghai and would love to make some friends and also find some company to explore the city/ around.

Sounds great that you guys have been able to meet up so often. Would love to join in case you are planning any more meets.

Cya
K :)

Next events will take place on bi-weekly basis, below are the dates of the following gettogethers:
May 28
June 11
June 25
July 9
July 23
August 6
etc...

Keep an eye on the blog for the exact location.

Hi all,

when is the next??? Vincent give me txt when U all decided...

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]