Menu
Expat.com

Phone issues in BsAs - Magic Jack, smart phones, local cell phones,etc

Last activity 13 May 2011 by WynnWoods

MeriC

Hi all,

1. Does anyone use Magic Jack to make/receive phone calls in BsAs? I just got it and it's working sucessfully for me in the US but I have to use the computer dial pad (the phone doesn't seem to work with it). Hoping to use my phone for work calls while there.

2. Smart phones - any insight into this arena? Iphones, Droid, etc? Is one brand better than another. I was reading you can buy data packages through Moviestar, etc?

3. If I don't end up getting a smart phone, my cell won't work with a SIM card unfortunately (it's not GSM compatible), where can I buy or rent a phone, buy minutes, etc.

Any inight is so appreciated - it's all soooo confusing!!

Meri

Armand

Hi and welcome on the forum Meri smile.png

I hope you will get advices from the phone experts of the forum soon wink.png

Regards
Armand

WynnWoods

Personally, I have used Vonage for over 4 years now with no issues whatsoever. I do have several friends who are currently using Magic Jack with no issues either.

I think which smartphone to get is a matter of personal preference.  If you want to get a plan, the best thing to do as you need the phone as well is to purchase the phone and plan through a provider as they offer great deals on the phones.  Otherwise you will pay a fortune for the phone getting it without a plan.  For Claro you can stop by a store of theirs and they have a magazine with all their phones and plans.  For Movistar, you will need to go to their website to look at phones and plans:

movistar.com.ar/

samwdavis

I also have been using Vonage from Cordoba for over 4 years. Works very well. But, I subscribed in the U.S. and brought the phone adapter to Argentina when I moved here. You can carry it with you and connect using any regular phone as long as there is an Internet connection.

WynnWoods

Good point samwdavis.  Vonage will not ship their hardware here meaning you have to either:

Bring the hardware with you;
Have a friend or family member ship it to you;
Ask around and see if anyone down here has some for sale.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Argentina

All of Argentina's guide articles