Best cities for Mechanical Engineers in the Netherlands?

Hi all,

I am a mechanical design engineer, with 7 years of experience, and I am considering to move to the Netherlands to live and work. I am originally from Spain and I have been living and working in the UK for nearly 10 years.

I would like to know which cities in the Netherlands would be the best ones for me to find a job as a mechanical design engineer. Also, I have been looking at average salaries and it seems that I could earn about 43k euros a year, provided I manage to speak the language once I eventually move to the Netherlands. What are your thoughts on this? Which cities would you recommend? Does that salary sound right to you?

Thanks in advance,
Javi

Hi Javi and welcome to the Forum.

As an EU citizen, you have the right to live and work anywhere within the EU, so you won't have any issues there.  Holland has many engineering companies and your knowledge of both Spanish and English will be a bonus; however, I think you will almost certainly need to learn Dutch, indeed many national companies won't even interview non-Dutch speakers.  Depending on your skill-set and relevant experience, The salary you mention should be achievable.

Assuming you have no contacts to help you, my advice is to use the internet to find the agencies that are looking for people with your skills.

If you have any further specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hi Cynic, thank you very much for your quick response.

I was wondering whether there are any specific city or cities in the Netherlands that have more industry and for that reason I would find it easier to find a job. I would like to know  in which city I have more chances of getting a job as a mechanical design engineer.

Any suggestions/ideas are very welcome.

Thanks again.
Javi

Hi Javi,

In general, the industrialised areas of Holland are in and around Rotterdam, but it's a small country and you get little pockets of engineering practically everywhere.  It's why I advised you to speak to the agencies, they will know who is recruiting in your speciality.