Coming to belize next month, hoping to meet ex-pats

I'm coming to Belize from 7-14 May with the goal of exploring 3 target destinations as potential retirement sites: Caye Caulker, Ambergris Caye, and Corozal.  My former co-worker friend is coming with me but for him it's just a vacation whereas I'll be on a mission of discovery.  While we're in Belize I would like to meet up with some ex-pats and get the perspective of people who have made the move down there.  I'm equally interested in what you don't like as much as what you like, particularly things that you did not discover until you were in Belize for weeks or months.  It would be great to share a drink or a meal with some folks in each of those places.  Please message me if you're available and would be willing to spend some time sharing your stories.

Welcome on Expat.com polarbearva ;)

I lived on Ambergris Caye for 3 months and ended up moving to San Ignacio in the Cayo District because I found the island too Americanized and touristy for my taste.  Many others love it, and it does have a lot of charm and other things to offer - don't get me wrong - just wasn't for me.

If you decide to check out Cayo as well, I'd be happy to link up with you and share more of my experience.  Good luck!

I am planning on visiting Belize as well with the same goal in mind. I am 50 years old and plan on hopefully retiring in Belize within two years. How was your visit? Any recommendations?

visited caye caulker, ambergris cay, and corozal.  quickly formulated opinions on each and happy to share if you help me narrow my response.  feel free to PM me.

I would love hear about all three places that you visited. What which one was your favourite and why? I will be travelling on my own (my mother might come along for the first visit) and I was wondering if you felt safe in your travels. Thanks for getting back to me, Kimberly

hi Kimberly.  Of the 3 places I visited, Ambergris Cay was my favorite because it is the most developed.  There are plenty of restaurants, bars, shops, grocery stores, and activities.  By contrast, Caye Caulker is extremely laid back with only a handful of restaurants (yet surprisingly quite a few 'mini-marts').  We went to dinner one night in t-shirts, shorts, and bare feet and felt a little over-dressed.  Some touristy activities are available in Caye Caulker but not much else.  I highly recommend the Iguana Reef Hotel if you stay there.  Finally, Corozal was a disappointment.  It seems like an abandoned, decaying town but that's just my perception.  No good places to eat and Tony's Inn was 2-star at best (and not very guest-friendly).  As for safety, Corozal was the only place we felt unsafe to any extent.  There are sections of Belize City that are pretty unsafe, plus there isn't much in the way of 'fun' there so I'd avoid it if you can. 

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Russ