Household Appliances and Furniture - Ship from USA or buy in Ecuador?

My wife and I plan to move from Texas to Manta in Spring 2019. We are looking for advice on the following question:

Is it better from a financial and practical standpoint to --

A.    Buy new kitchen appliances and furniture here in the USA and ship it to Ecuador via container, or

B.    Buy these items in Ecuador?

Thank you for your input!

So many variables. Do you want the ultra luxury kitchen brands like Viking, Thermador
Miele, etc?  Or are you fine with regular brands like LG, Samsung, Electrolux, Whirlpool?

Many people prefer the high quality of furniture custom made by Ecuadorian artisans. But if you shop at the mall for furniture, you might be disappointed with the value.

You will have difficulty finding luxury brands in Ecuador. But the normal brands are easy to find, though the styles of the appliances are different than the USA. Inducción stovetops are becoming really popular in Ecuador. I've cooked on Mabe and Inudurama induction ranges (made in Ecuador) and both are fine. I prefer Mabe.

If you are planning on upgrading to a SmartHome system, then you'll want to import that stuff too.

Personally I am a minimalist. I am selling almost everything and just bringing  some small appliances, like a coffee maker, fast wifi router, and a hand immersion blender. I plan on bringing only 3 or 4 suitcases total. I also will bring a hammer drill and some small special hand tools I couldn't find inbthe spring when looking at megakywi, the Ecuadorian chain hardware and home store.

Carl 2018 wrote:

My wife and I plan to move from Texas to Manta in Spring 2019. We are looking for advice on the following question:

Is it better from a financial and practical standpoint to --

A.    Buy new kitchen appliances and furniture here in the USA and ship it to Ecuador via container, or

B.    Buy these items in Ecuador?

Thank you for your input!

Variety and quality of furniture may be lacking in Manta compared to larger cities like Quito so that is something to think about.  It also takes some time to find relatively good furniture which is decently priced, especially furniture made from quality hardwood. As for appliances SuKasa has good European brands.

I either bought or had my furniture custom made such as a king-size platform bed and enjoyed the experience.  Some things are costly like quality rugs and other decor but we all have different tastes so there's something for everyone.

Ultimately it's up to you, but for appliances if you plan on importing try to get brands/models that are available locally in the event that you may require future parts and repair.

You might want to check out things like the amount of time to ship, amount of time to actually get it though customs, customs fees before you ship anything.  There may even be companies that ship from door to door.   The process has never been easy, at least not in the last 23 years we have been here in Guayaquil,  but now that there are so many American retirees in Ecuador it may be a little easier and less costly.  It seems like the President has been changing policy and has reaching out to and opening up more trade with the US.  But don't look for prices to come down too quickly, they definitely want the American's money!   When we first got here the shelves were full of American products, even Dr. Pepper, though it came in from Colombia.  Probably be a while before that happens again.....lol

richardkhurst wrote:

even Dr. Pepper, though it came in from Colombia.

Dr. Pepper is readily available in Quito, in supermarkets and my local mercado. Where's it's made or imported from, I have no idea as I don't drink that stuff.