Menu
Expat.com

Brexit and its implications for British, HU and any other citizens

Last activity 01 October 2024 by Cynic

fluffy2560

Follow up....

Mrs F got an e-mail reply from BMBAH/OIF and they said they don't care about passport numbers etc. 

That's a bit weird.  I don't think it's correct as the RP is only valid with a travel document at the border.

I've asked myself in another way. 

fluffy2560

Here's an official reply from migracio@oif.gov.hu.  As expected, it doesn't answer the question but does describe why the appointment system doesn't work and how to get around it (haha, yeah, right). 

The lack of readability is down to them - it's as they sent it.  They need to work out how to write in simplified English and how to format properly.  Anyone without English as a native language would find this hard work. 

My highlighting about appointments.

Please visit our website where you will find all the necessary informations and forms for each type of cases. The II. Act 14/2007 on the entry and residence of third-country nationals; (V. 24.) Gov. Decree on the entry and residence of third-country nationals in Act II of 2007 and the Act I of 2007 on the entry and residence of persons with the right of free movement and residence, and Act 113/2007. (V. 24.) on the implementation of Act I of 2007 on the entry and residence of persons with the right of free movement and residence  contain the conditions, obligations, regulations, procedures and deadlines for the implementation of the law.
The National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing provides detailed information on procedures related to aliens policing, asylum and on related reporting obligations on its website.
We kindly ask you to read the information below before writing an e-mail to us:
1.      First of all, allow me to call your attention to the informational materials provided on our website, under the “Residence in Hungary”, “Permanent Residence in Hungary” and the “As a Refuge in Hungary” menu sections under which detailed description is available about the related procedures.
2.      Our obligation to provide information includes only inquires related to asylum and aliens policing procedures falling under the scope of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing. As described above, the General-Directorate does not provide information – amongst other – on the following topics:
·         border crossing (please inquire about this topic from the general police)
·         short-term visas (if needed) for a stay no longer than 90 days within a 180 days period (please inquire from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade)
·         acquiring Hungarian nationality, naturalization (please inquire from the responsible Government Office or the Office of the President of Republic).
3.      It is not possible to book an appointment via e-mail or phone. We recommend you to use the “Booking an appointment” function available on our website. We inform you, that appointments are generally available 2 weeks ahead therefore we recommend you to visit the function regularly as new slots are opened continuously.
Due to data protection and confidentiality regulations it is not possible to provide information on ongoing aliens policing or asylum procedures via e-mail. In case you would like to receive information on an ongoing case, please visit our regional directorates in office hours or the foreign representation where you have submitted your application.
We hereby would like to draw attention to the fact that in case the information inquired in e-mail is available on our website or falls out of the competence of the National Directorate-General for Aliens Policing, our authority does not answer your e-mail, in other cases answer is sent within the general deadline for case management.
Appointment booking is possible only at www.oif.gov.hu
Appointments can only be made two weeks in advance, regardless of the type of case.
You can do the administration during the opening hours without an appointment too.
If the system does not select anything, it means there is no free appointments. In this case I suggest you to try the booking process around midnight if it’s important for you, as new slots are opened every day at 00:00.
From June 14, 2021, it is also possible to visit our customer service offices in person without making an appointment.
We can only accept customers who do not have an appointment after the customers with an appointment, this may result in a longer wait.
We kindly inform our clients that, based on the decision of the head of department, the allocation of queue numbers at the customer services can be ended even before the end of the opening hours, if due to the number of customers appearing no longer possible to handle more customers within the opening hours.
Sincerely,
http://oif.gov.hu
National Directorate General for Aliens Policing
fluffy2560

Latest e-mail from Mrs F's inquiries at BMBAH/OIF:

It is not possible to book an appointment either by phone or by e-mail.
Unfortunately, the appointment booking system is overloaded, so it is not possible to book an appointment.
We recommend that you send a complete copy of your passport to the e-mail address that appears at the bottom of the residence permit decision or information sheet, to the Permit Department that granted it.
They do not have to submit in person.

Not a proper or official answer per se but at least they said something.

Cynic
Unfortunately, the appointment booking system is overloaded, so it is not possible to book an appointment.
We recommend that you send a complete copy of your passport to the e-mail address that appears at the bottom of the residence permit decision or information sheet, to the Permit Department that granted it.

-@fluffy2560

It seems to be a similar issue being experienced in many countries; in the Netherlands it’s impossible to get any registration appointment until next year.

SimCityAT

-@fluffy2560
It seems to be a similar issue being experienced in many countries; in the Netherlands it’s impossible to get any registration appointment until next year.
-@Cynic

Not so bad in Austria, unless its Vienna, where it has always been an issue, as they have one office to deal with whole the city.

fluffy2560
Not so bad in Austria, unless its Vienna, where it has always been an issue, as they have one office to deal with whole the city.
-@SimCityAT

Bit similar to here. The address cards are all sent out of the Budapest City admin office.  Stupid really as if you argue with them using a Hungarian proxy, they sometimes will cave in.  Bloody lazy in my mind.

fluffy2560

-@fluffy2560
-@Cynic

Any reason given?  Just volume? 

Here, we have no idea why.  They will blame it on Ukrainians.  The system seems to be entirely oriented to them now.  Fair enough, they need help.  It could be there are no staff.   No way to tell.

Cynic

-@fluffy2560
-@Cynic

Any reason given? Just volume?

Here, we have no idea why. They will blame it on Ukrainians. The system seems to be entirely oriented to them now. Fair enough, they need help. It could be there are no staff.  No way to tell.
-@fluffy2560

Covid and its after effects.  All civil servants who work from a PC were encouraged/allowed to work from home; anything that was customer-facing and deemed non-essential was closed down.  It has only fairly recently begun to resurrect itself, but many of the staff have since found better-paid jobs elsewhere, which in effect means that today, they have less staff to deal with more work (the backlog plus the day-to-day stuff they deal with routinely).  Plus, not all Gemeentes provide all the services at the same scale as for example Amsterdam, so not only is there a backlog, they are trying to move people around to help out and people don't like it, so go sick.  People also found out that Gemeente A was getting reinforced, so the queues there quadrupled overnight, and switchboards/servers were flooded (like a DDOS attack on steroids).

Outside of the medical disaster experienced worldwide, the day-to-day effects of Covid on all Government departments (probably worldwide as well)  were basically anything that could be dealt with online carried on at a vastly reduced pace; anything essential that involved face-to-face contact with the public was done with via a PPE interface (disliked by many; used by others to try and discredit the system), and anything that involved a piece of paper got put in the pile to be dealt with when things return to normal; that pile is pretty much still there.

People such as yourself who are compelled to interface with local Government just to live where you do are feeling the repercussions; you are being treated as 2nd class citizens.

fluffy2560
Covid and its after effects. All civil servants who work from a PC were encouraged/allowed to work from home; anything that was customer-facing and deemed non-essential was closed down. It has only fairly recently begun to resurrect itself, but many of the staff have since found better-paid jobs elsewhere, which in effect means that today, they have less staff to deal with more work (the backlog plus the day-to-day stuff they deal with routinely). Plus, not all Gemeentes provide all the services at the same scale as for example Amsterdam, so not only is there a backlog, they are trying to move people around to help out and people don't like it, so go sick. People also found out that Gemeente A was getting reinforced, so the queues there quadrupled overnight, and switchboards/servers were flooded (like a DDOS attack on steroids).

Outside of the medical disaster experienced worldwide, the day-to-day effects of Covid on all Government departments (probably worldwide as well) were basically anything that could be dealt with online carried on at a vastly reduced pace; anything essential that involved face-to-face contact with the public was done with via a PPE interface (disliked by many; used by others to try and discredit the system), and anything that involved a piece of paper got put in the pile to be dealt with when things return to normal; that pile is pretty much still there.

People such as yourself who are compelled to interface with local Government just to live where you do are feeling the repercussions; you are being treated as 2nd class citizens.
-@Cynic

I am not sure about it's all about being a COVID related problem.  There were extensions to various things like car tests because of COVID but I think now it's staff shortages, low wages and particularly energy problems. 

The latter is leading to shorter hours, lower temperatures in the office and more home working (i.e. shift the costs onto the employee). 

It's looking hard - prices are really going up heavily, especially for imported goods.  I had to buy a car headlight bulb the other day, it's almost doubled in price.   

fluffy2560

New answer from Immigration (my highlighting):

With reference to your e-mail, I would like to inform you, that you are not obliged to declare the replacement of your passport if your personal information (e.g. name) has not changed - Országos Idegenrendészeti Főigazgatóság, Budapest és Pest Megyei Regionális Igazgatóság, Kiemelt Ügyek Osztálya

So there we have it.

Downside is the left and right hands do not officially communicate.

Upside is I don't have to go there.

SimCityAT

I know its not Hungary, but really?

310282315_1240524546522819_1554723688919482238_n.png?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=v67V0K35iCIAX9y3bdF&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=03_AVJXD8xUi9QbBSeB-cDWPmR2sIrAeIhE6VQGJyR9E3_IHg&oe=636973B1

fluffy2560
I know its not Hungary, but really?
310282315_1240524546522819_1554723688919482238_n.png?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=ae9488&_nc_ohc=v67V0K35iCIAX9y3bdF&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=03_AVJXD8xUi9QbBSeB-cDWPmR2sIrAeIhE6VQGJyR9E3_IHg&oe=636973B1
-@SimCityAT

Bit of a dodgy link there.

They should be grateful to Luxembourg for being so generous.

On LBC this morning, there James O'Brien was going on about creeping reductions in visa/work permit requirements for EU or any other citizens.  He sarcastically predicted that there would be so many holes in the policies that most countries would end up with freedom of movement to the UK in some way but UK citizens would not get it reciprocally.  I think he's not wrong.

It's blatantly obvious that trade deals with some countries (like India) are going to have freedom of movement associated with those deals.   Unfortunately it seems there are no limits incoming but outgoing (back to wherever) are restricted.  Australia and NZ for example trade deals seem to have age restrictions outbound from the UK that are about the same as their usual immigration limits.   What have they given away? Almost nothing.

Odd thing (at least to me) is that the USA (and possibly Canada) do not have immigration age limits.

SimCityAT

No link, was just a screenshot where someone highlighted three times now

fluffy2560
-@SimCityAT

It's a link. 

If I hover over it, then click right, it says "Open Image in new Tab"

It then takes me to the image at FB.

But the link is not directly clickable (at least for me).

SimCityAT
-@SimCityAT

It's a link.

If I hover over it, then click right, it says "Open Image in new Tab"

It then takes me to the image at FB.

But the link is not directly clickable (at least for me).
-@fluffy2560

Very strange, but I can reassure you, I would never post any links that I did not trust.

fluffy2560
Very strange, but I can reassure you, I would never post any links that I did not trust.
-@SimCityAT

Oh, I wasn't suggesting it was dodgy in that way.   I meant it didn't work as expected.   

Sorry.

The functionality here can be buggy in a few ways.

fluffy2560

Driving licence renewal:

Just come back from obtaining a medical certificate.  This is my first attempt at renewal under Brexit conditions.

I made an appointment with one Doc and then cancelled it as I was told it would cost 30K HUF. No way. It's not that complicated. This expensive Doc wanted me to have a blood test. Forget it, not required. Just gimmie the paper!

Anyway, Mrs F then got me to her Doc and it was 2.5K HUF which is the statutory fee for over 60s.

Papers needed: HU DL, Residence Permit, Foreigners ID card and Passport

They didn't check my eyes, they just looked at the eyeglass prescription. Blood pressure was checked and acceptable.

My driving entitlement classes were extended but only for 2 years. That's a PITA because it would have been OK until I was 70 if it was in the UK. The reason is that they consider the classes of endorsements to drive certain types of vehicles to be "professional category".

It's all a bit daft because anyone in the UK who passed their test in the 1970s can drive a truck and trailer up to 8.25T combined.  I've driven such trucks on summer jobs way back when but I wouldn't say I'm a professional. Anyway, in the UK, a 3.5T truck is considered a car.

I received a copy of the uploaded document sent to the government. In theory, I should receive a new DL in the post or worse, have to go and pick it up. Stupid thing is that I believe I have to take the old one to them. Why? I could just cut it up! Or post it back.

I was warned that they may not see the uploaded document at Ügyfélkapu (Government Client Gate) or I may not see it or neither side - government or me - can see it. It was said that it's very random. So much for efficiency.  I shall have to wait a week and see what happens. If they cannot see it, I will have to go to the Kormányablak (Government Window) office to sort it out in person.

fluffy2560

Update on DL renewal:

Turns out on a visit to the government office (Kormanyablak) to check on my DL renewal progress,  foreigners DL renewals are NOT handled automatically.  Wasn't told that when I received the medical certificate. They said it was registered in the system. Obviously it wasn't.

Foreigners DLs can only be renewed by physically visiting their offices and paying HUF 4000 for the privilege.  What a rip off.  They also renew your photo - they don't need to do that as in theory DL pictures taken within 3 years are still valid.

If you visit the government office, they give you a choice of picking up your renewed DL at their office or you can give in your DL and they will give you a temporary paper.

The temporary paper doesn't allow you to drive outside of Hungary, it's a bit useless for foreigners who want to drive elsewhere.

A further downside is that you have to go and queue up again to collect the new DL and give in the old one.

The visit wastes at least 1h spent on queuing to do a simple transaction.

But you get to sign plenty of official papers, they all get stamped and you can take them home to file them . Yay! 

Marilyn Tassy

IDK, in the US they need to take a new photo and charge a fee when you renew your driving license.

Think I was charged $25. last time.

The wait times at the DMV in the states can be literally hours,Take a number and have a seat.

They punched your old license and let you keep it.They attach a paper to it that's good for the time it takes for you new license to be mailed.

Back in the 60-70's my step-father's uncle was the head of a large DMV office. He just ring him up and have a combo of a family visit and get all his motor business done at the same time.

His unce would have us come into his private ofice and have someone take care of things while they chatted.

No wait times.

Well, if you have any juice it's nice to use it when you can.

His uncle drove a Rolls,not sure if he was really wealthy or if he had the insider scoop on buying cars?

fluffy2560
IDK, in the US they need to take a new photo and charge a fee when you renew your driving license.
Think I was charged $25. last time.
The wait times at the DMV in the states can be literally hours,Take a number and have a seat.
-@Marilyn Tassy

It's incredibly annoying to me. DLs in the UK are valid 10 years up to the age 70.   Same photo as on your passport.  I will also waste a lot of my time going to their offices.

Here, I have to mess around every 2 years with medical certificates as I'm 60-65 years old.   Otherwise I'll lose my truck endorsement.  I don't use it but if I lost it, I'd have to jump through hoops to get it back.

At least it's done mostly for now but end of 2024, I've got to do it all again AND pay for the privilege multiple times!

Pre-Brexit my DL would have been valid almost indefinitely. 

Marilyn Tassy

We sort of forgot. My husband used to have a HU driving license that had 11 endorsments.

Could drive anythng on the road expect perhaps a nuke war head on public streets.( In a truck trailer)

He had to get the medical every 2 years .

He told the GP ast time he wants to just give up his endorsments. He could reinstate them if he wished to. In Hungary one never loses their driving papers, just need to reinstate them.

It was strange because my husband got his HU professional driving license back in 1968.

When we moved back he just needed the medical and didn't need to be tested on the road.

In the states if it expires then you must take another road test.

He was sick of going in every 2 years but now at age 75 I thin k he has to go in every 2 years aways.

Mine in the US was god for I think 8 years, I gave up 2 years by renewing it early.

Have 3 more years on it.

I haven't driven in about 3 years, very strange because I always drove in the states.

Since I had eye surgery I'm good to go ,feel ready to hit the highway again.

fluffy2560
We sort of forgot. My husband used to have a HU driving license that had 11 endorsments.
Could drive anythng on the road expect perhaps a nuke war head on public streets.( In a truck trailer)
He had to get the medical every 2 years .
He told the GP ast time he wants to just give up his endorsments. He could reinstate them if he wished to. In Hungary one never loses their driving papers, just need to reinstate them.
It was strange because my husband got his HU professional driving license back in 1968.
When we moved back he just needed the medical and didn't need to be tested on the road.
In the states if it expires then you must take another road test.
He was sick of going in every 2 years but now at age 75 I thin k he has to go in every 2 years aways.
Mine in the US was god for I think 8 years, I gave up 2 years by renewing it early.
Have 3 more years on it.
I haven't driven in about 3 years, very strange because I always drove in the states.
Since I had eye surgery I'm good to go ,feel ready to hit the highway again.
-@Marilyn Tassy

Over 70 would be every year I think.  It's just a nuisance.  Everyone knows the new 70 is 75.    Rules set long ago.  After 77, there tends to be a bit of a decline - according to some of my correspondents.  Problem I see around here is there are many older people past 70 who look like they are keen on their booze a bit too much.  I see them going to the pub in the morning, then coming back at closing time.

I often let Mrs Fluffy do the driving, mainly so I can sleep or do other stuff like look at my e-mails.  When we drive long distances, it's 2h on, 2h off.  Cannot wait for a Fluffyette to be old enough to drive.  Not too long to wait for that, little under a year.

BTW, Putin might be looking for drivers to move his nuclear warheads. 

Marilyn Tassy

It's only every 2 years for those my husbands age. He might as well just reinstate his endorsements since those are every 2 years as well.

He really is the safest driver I've ever been in a car with.

He had his minor crash ups in his youth and learned his lessons.

He once while driving as a personal driver for some HU businessman got himself distracted by 2 young ladies flirting with him.

He was driving this man and a bus was near by. 2 attractive ladies  from the bus smiled and waved at my husband and it kept on for a few blocks .

He looked over at them a second too long and smashed into the back of a car...

Needless to say he lost that job! He was perhaps 19 or 20 and just silly.

fluffy2560
It's only every 2 years for those my husbands age. He might as well just reinstate his endorsements since those are every 2 years as well.
He once while driving as a personal driver for some HU businessman got himself distracted by 2 young ladies flirting with him.
He was driving this man and a bus was near by. 2 attractive ladies from the bus smiled and waved at my husband and it kept on for a few blocks .
-@Marilyn Tassy

I've only been in one crash and it wasn't my fault.  The idiot drove into me.  And he didn't have any insurance and we were not on a public road.   

He was a lying sob.  He hoped to get away with running away but a witness knew him and I was able to track him down.  He was shacked up with his GF at her place but it seemed like everyone knew him. I think he thought he'd got away.  When she answered the door, she was mighty surprised to see me standing there.

In the end, he had to buy me a replacement car as mine was totally destroyed.

Marilyn Tassy
He was driving this man and a bus was near by. 2 attractive ladies from the bus smiled and waved at my husband and it kept on for a few blocks .
-@Marilyn Tassy

I've only been in one crash and it wasn't my fault. The idiot drove into me. And he didn't have any insurance and we were not on a public road. 

In one months time back in the ealry 1980's my husband was rear ended on the freeway , thank God he was driving a Volvo or he would of been killed. 65 MPH , not sure how they guy got that speed going with stop and g traffic. He was reaching down to play with his radio and slammed int my husband. The back end of our Volvo was touching the roof of the car, that's hard hard he was hit.

The same month some jerk side swipped me by running a red light then some Mexican day labor gardeners hit me from behind while I stopped at a stop sign.

It was ,"Better Call Saul" time, we made bank but my neck still cramps up once in awhile...

fluffy2560

One of the best explanations I've heard about Brexit:

Brexit and Teabags

The last bit - the bag goes in the bin.   

Just about sums it up!

SimCityAT

Not Hungary but an interesting article all the same.

Denmark: British man being deported over late post-Brexit paperwork

A British man living in Denmark is being deported from the country because he was four days late with an application to stay there post-Brexit.

Danish MP Mads Fuglede is fighting to stop the deportation which he says is a breach of the spirit of the withdrawal agreement to protect EU citizens’ rights. However, following elections last week and with no new government in sight in Copenhagen, he is worried help may not come in time for Philip Russell.

The 47-year-old financial services administrator received his first removal order in May and was devastated to learn it was because he was four days late with new residency documentation he did not realise he needed post-Brexit.

He was confident someone would see this was a minor error, but on Monday he received the bombshell news that his deportation appeal had failed and he must leave the country, his job and his fiancee.

“You must leave Denmark no later than one month from today’s date, which means no later than 6 December 2022. As a consequence of our decision, you also no longer have the right to work in Denmark without a work permit. Therefore we will inform your employer about our decision,” they said.

“I feel completely devastated. I’ve been through 11 months of hell already, with no end in sight apart from being deported, so that means I’m going to lose my job, my home, my fiancee, being dumped back into London,” Russell said.

He feels such punishment for being late with an application is completely disproportionate to the alleged offence but is now fighting against time to overturn the deportation order.

Fuglede, who has taken up his case, said he had written to the former interior minister to urge a change in the law to allow late applications to be considered, as they are in the UK.

“I know he missed the deadline, but we need to look at this politically and make sure that there is leeway for Philip and others like him. This was not the understanding when we passed the law. The spirit of the withdrawal agreement was to ensure that every UK citizen in Denmark had an easy pathway to stay.

“There are probably others who are going through similar agony which is not what we intended,” he said.

He wrote to Kaare Dybvad, the former immigration minister, about Russell’s case but had not received an answer by last week’s elections and says it could be weeks or months before a new government is formed.

“Philip will need the help of a lawyer which is a lot of money. In a perfect world there should be a delay for decisions on late applicants,” Fuglede added.

Russell’s fiance, Frederikke, said she is ashamed that her country has behaved like this. “I am in a bit of shock, it is my worst nightmare come true. I am still devastated.

“I feel hopeless and helpless. I feel we are fighting against a system that just does not want to help. They set the rules so hard. I mean, to deport someone for being four days late with an application that they never told us we had to make? I must admit I am very ashamed of my country, of all the EU member states, to be treating citizens like this,” she said.

Frederikke, who suffers from clinical depression and anxiety, said the last year has been so stressful that she has been forced to quit her job to cope with the turmoil.

Russell said he not only needs to be with her because they love each other and have planned a future together but that he is her primary support for her illnesses.

“I am very much in shock because we made sure we did all the things that were required of us to make sure that Philip can live and work here,” she said.

“We even went to their offices to have a meeting, to ask them ‘is everything in order, do we need to do anything more?’ and we were told ‘no, everything was OK’ and we trusted the authority,” she said.

Russell moved to Denmark to be with his fiancee in October 2020, three months before the Brexit transition period ended in December 2020.

Denmark was among several countries that extended the deadline for EU citizens to apply for post-Brexit residency for a year, but Russell says he received no notification that he was required to do anything despite several communiques with him since 2020.

The first Philip and Frederikke knew of the Danish post-Brexit residency scheme was when he applied for a job on 4 January 2022 and his potential employer asked to see his national residency card.

“I said ‘what the hell are you talking about?’ and they said, ‘oh, you should have applied for it four days ago.’

“I then started frantically searching various online forums and websites and learned the Danish authorities should have written to me at least two times, maybe three, last year requesting me to apply for a residence permit,” he said.

Siri, the Danish immigration authority, said it could not comment on a specific case.

But Siri said it and other government agencies and private organisations had launched information campaigns with “extensive information on the consequences of Brexit and guidance on how to apply”.

Siri said it had sent three information letters to about 19,000 resident British citizens and their families, and had created a Brexit hotline for questions and had records of 290 late applications.

It added that it would “assess all the circumstances and reasons” someone had applied late and would process the application if there were “reasonable grounds” for the failure to meet the 31 December deadline.

In the assessment of a late application, “SIRI will also consider the applicant’s personal circumstances and ties with Denmark, eg length of stay, ties with the labour market and the impact on the applicant’s closest relatives,” it said.

It added that its decisions are subject to review by an independent appeals board and advice was available to unsuccessful applications on how to lodge a complaint.

A Foreign, Commonwealth and Development office spokesperson said it was in contact with a UK national in Denmark about his residency status but offered little more comment beyond the rules as stated in Siri’s statement.

fluffy2560
Not Hungary but an interesting article all the same.
Denmark: British man being deported over late post-Brexit paperwork

A British man living in Denmark is being deported from the country because he was four days late with an application to stay there post-Brexit.
Russell’s fiance, Frederikke, said she is ashamed that her country has behaved like this. “I am in a bit of shock, it is my worst nightmare come true. I am still devastated.
A Foreign, Commonwealth and Development office spokesperson said it was in contact with a UK national in Denmark about his residency status but offered little more comment beyond the rules as stated in Siri’s statement.

-@SimCityAT

I am not surprised about this.  Welcome to the post-Brexit world.  As usual, the FCDO isn't going to do FA to help.   

I find it a bit surprising to hear his claims he didn't know anything about it.

But this could be an easy fix.  The guy just needs to marry his fiancee (right now).   

Then he's got a right to a family life under the various conventions Denmark signed up to.

Denmark has form on doing ridiculous immigration things - remember the Swedish/Denmark debacle over immigration?  Danish people and their partners ended up having to move to Sweden.  I don't have a link but it wasn't that long ago.

Kieran Paget

Just came back to say fuck brexit, literally making it impossible for me to get a job here 😡💩, might have to move again at this rate due to not having a income, can’t find a job here because no one willing to offer working visa and can’t find a job back in the uk because there is no full time remote jobs

fluffy2560
Just came back to say fuck brexit, literally making it impossible for me to get a job here 😡💩, might have to move again at this rate due to not having a income, can’t find a job here because no one willing to offer working visa and can’t find a job back in the uk because there is no full time remote jobs
-@Kieran Paget

Welcome back.

Tell me about the crap called Brexit. It's the dumbest thing anyone voted for. Boris and his crew (incl. that moron Rees Mogg) should be doing hard time for agreeing to this nonsense. Nothing is going to fix it until the Tories are out and a government pro-EU is going to come in. It's going to be years before this will change.

But if you have a HU residence permit, it allows you to work in HU but probably you're right no-one is willing to do it. Too much hassle.

Maybe someone like Vodafone? Or international businesses like Ikea?  But you'd probably have to move to Budapest to find someone. I have heard of people working as call centre workers in remote locations. Not sure how that works.

In the EU/UK system, the only place you can go where your Mrs and and you can be equally treated by businesses and then immigration authorities is Ireland. You both can have jobs there and equal residence rights. We've even thought about it.

If you've got an Irish grandparent, possibly a great grandparent or the best, a parent, this could work, i.e. get an Irish passport and citizenship.  My Irish ancestor is too far back, I'm two generations s**t out of luck on that front.

I have no problem swearing allegiance  to a foreign state. My own country stabbed me in the back.

Marilyn Tassy
-@Kieran Paget

Sorry to hear about the job situation.

I have also heard many ex-pats work at call centers here.

Not sure if those jobs are located in Budapest or not.

I have also seen some adds on the ex-pat forum for Hungary on FB.

No idea if these are legit jobs or not but some say you don't need a working visa.

They probably aren't great jobs , more then likely some boiler room type of job.

When you don't have a working visa many people will take advantage and not pay as they should.

My husband found little jobs in the 1970's when he was a HU refugee and didn't have a working visa.

Just small jobs, he had a broken arm so he couldn't do his trade but just small jobs.

He worked in Sweden in a hotel/helping a legit Hungarian cook/barkeeper. The older Swedish lady who owned the place was nice and was sad when my husband left Sweden.

He also found work in Paris with a group of legit Hungarians who did painting jobs.

Many another UK ex-pat could use a helper or know of someone who does?

Perhaps helping out on a constrution site etc.?

I know that's not exactly the best way to build a life but it could be a start?

Marilyn Tassy

The FB page is under, Expats in Hungary.

No idea if any of these job offers are legit or not but might be worth a try.

SimCityAT
-@Marilyn Tassy

I don't trust any jobs on Facebook. Some are OK if advertised directly from the company. But you can spot fake ones when they don't say the wage or hours etc... in Austria by law they have to state the wage and hours.

fluffy2560
-@Marilyn Tassy

I don't trust any jobs on Facebook. Some are OK if advertised directly from the company. But you can spot fake ones when they don't say the wage or hours etc... in Austria by law they have to state the wage and hours.
-@SimCityAT

Bit unfortunate the deal negotiated/led by Boris doesn't allow "beneficiaries" of the Withdrawal Agreement Art 40 to work in other EU countries as before.  That would have at least kept our rights.

On the other hand, my understanding is if the OP's partner was working in Austria (for example), then he could work there as the spouse of an EU citizen working in Austria. Wouldn't need a visa as such. But this does not apply if the EU partner is working in their own country.

It means that EU citizens cannot live in their own country with their non-EU partner if both want to work.

Clumsy nonsense but that's what was agreed.

After 5 years, I think it's possible to get an EU work permit, so that problem will eventually go away if one has an national RP now.  The frustrating thing to me is that all that went before is simply deleted.  It restarted for everyone 1st Jan 2022. Doesn't matter how long you were here or how many kids or wives you had locally, it was a complete reset. So annoying.

Kieran Paget

@fluffy2560 my permit don't allow me to work, just live here I can't undertake any gainful activity, as for Irish family i do but like you they're a bit far back I think great great grandad was Irish.

Kieran Paget

@Marilyn Tassy looked got a job offer then they realized i didn't have the right to work here and they would have to do some work they said fek it and took back the job offer.

SimCityAT
@fluffy2560 my permit don't allow me to work, just live here I can't undertake any gainful activity, as for Irish family i do but like you they're a bit far back I think great great grandad was Irish.
-@Kieran Paget

and the Embassy never helped you?

Kieran Paget

the way its going im going to be moving to Canada or something 1f602.svg, looked at taking me back to the uk with my partner but the process would be costing us upwards of 5000GBP

Kieran Paget

@SimCityAT Honestly never went to Embassy i just went on the "information available to me" tactic

fluffy2560
the way its going im going to be moving to Canada or something 1f602.svg, looked at taking me back to the uk with my partner but the process would be costing us upwards of 5000GBP
-@Kieran Paget

Canada is not cheap for immigration.

I'd think about the Ireland option. It's bound to be much cheaper than that UK anti-foreigner price. No papers required.

You could think NZ or maybe Australian working holiday visas as well. They are really short of skilled people.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Hungary

• Buying property in Budapest
    Buying property in Budapest

Buying a house or a flat can be a good option if you are planning to long term stay in Budapest. However, it is ...

• Customs in Hungary
    Customs in Hungary

As a member of the EU/EFTA, Hungary supports the free movement of goods within the EU/EFTA area. There are no ...

• Childcare in Hungary
    Childcare in Hungary

As Hungary is an EU member, it adheres to the EU premise that all citizens should be entitled to equal childcare ...

• Sports in Budapest
    Sports in Budapest

Sports is a great way not only to stay fit but also to keep yourself busy during your stay in Budapest. Whether ...

• The work culture in Budapest
    The work culture in Budapest

Congratulations! You have been hired by a company for a job in Budapest. Depending on the position you will ...

• Driving in Hungary
    Driving in Hungary

Hungary has an extensive road network, big parts of which have been recently updated to facilitate traffic. The ...

• The taxation system in Hungary
    The taxation system in Hungary

If youre living in Hungary, you are subject to paying taxes in the country for all the income you may have earned ...

• Things to do on weekdays in Budapest
    Things to do on weekdays in Budapest

In Budapest, you won't be bored even on weekdays, with lots of things to choose from. Typical ones, as going ...

All of Hungary's guide articles