Today's Weather

fluffy2560 wrote:

Cold, rainy, windy, 13 C and generally yucky.

What is going on?

Just the same, but tomorrow we have 21°C and it gets warmer as the week goes on.

fluffy2560 wrote:

What is going on?

Well, that is weather for you. Like Mark Twain saying: “If you don't like the weather in New England now, just wait a few minutes.”  (Maybe borrowed from the Scots: "If you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait half an hour and it will change").

But I do think this month, if my barometer could show an emoji.... it would be "roiling its eyes" right now...  :rolleyes:

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

What is going on?

Well, that is weather for you. Like Mark Twain saying: “If you don't like the weather in New England now, just wait a few minutes.”  (Maybe borrowed from the Scots: "If you don't like the weather in Scotland, wait half an hour and it will change").

But I do think this month, if my barometer could show an emoji.... it would be "roiling its eyes" right now...  :rolleyes:

Yes, the quote is famous.   At least it wasn't Winston Churchill (he's usually attributed for everything back at my mother ship).

As an irrelevant comment, it's worse in Mongolia.  Sunny at ground level, go up say 200m vertically and it can be foggy and snowy with a harsh dry wind, come down again and it'll be sunny again.  The wind there will desiccate you. 

None of that here.

It's a bit sunny (?), nay lighter now hereabouts and increased to 16 C but looks like rain any second.

Mostly sunny, showing 22C in the sun on the outside thermometer.

Also some broken and heavily looking clouds.

Slightly breezy.

What a change in the weather today.

Its warm 23°C, no clouds a fresh breeze and the birds in the garden seem to be having a rave. Don't think I have ever seen so much activity going on and the noise they are creating I think they are happy.

SimCityAT wrote:

What a change in the weather today.

Its warm 23°C, no clouds a fresh breeze and the birds in the garden seem to be having a rave. Don't think I have ever seen so much activity going on and the noise they are creating I think they are happy.

More black clouds are coming in.  Patchy sun. Clouds are slowly scudding from the West so hopefully from your place to us with clearer skies.

Some birds have taken to sitting on our wood burner chimney in the mornings.  The tube funnels their incessant wittering directly into our living room.    It's like sitting an aviary at feeding time.   More uncensored tweeting than Donald Trump.

My calendar says it is June 2.
My barometer and thermometer says it is March 2.....

Three weeks till the Summer Solstice, and I feel we have been cheated out of even having a Spring.  :sosad:

Punxsutawney_Phil definitely got it wrong this year.....  :mad:

klsallee wrote:

My calendar says it is June 2.
My barometer and thermometer says it is March 2.....

Three weeks till the Summer Solstice, and I feel we have been cheated out of even having a Spring.  :sosad:

Punxsutawney_Phil definitely got it wrong this year.....  :mad:

With this kind of weather I could say I feel right at home but I'm hearing they are having a heatwave.   The forecasts are rubbish. I was expecting clear weather until Friday and now I see it's going to rain tomorrow. Thwarted once again from doing 100 things.

Chilly this morning. But warming by mid day. Now having mid a afternoon thunderstorm and rain.
A mixed bag today.

My last post was just 7 minutes ago, and the storm has turned into a deluge with hail....  :(

klsallee wrote:

My last post was just 7 minutes ago, and the storm has turned into a deluge with hail....  :(

Hail! No, not Hail Caesar (as in the salad),  I mean I mean Hail?? as in  WTF?

Outside thermometer shows 35 C in the sun and now it's about 22 C.  There are black heavy clouds everywhere with pockets of sunlight.  It could rain in any second.  It's very nice in the sun but there's a bit of an air about which looks like it could be stormy.

I am not taking any risks so doing inside the shed rewiring jobs until I can be certain of the uncertainty and the known unknowns....etc.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Since this is the Today's Weather topic, hail is used in terms of that context, and thus of course means lumps of ice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail

A discourse regarding grammar of the English language, and how the same word, or even a similar word sounding the same, but spelled different, can mean different things in English... but only in different contexts of course because English is a contextual language.... is best moved to Absolutely Everything Else....  So this side issue should be wound up before a topic wound is inflicted........ :top:

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Since this is the Today's Weather topic, hail** is used in terms of that context, and thus of course means lumps of ice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hail

A discourse regarding grammar of the English language, and how the same word, or even a similar word sounding the same, but spelled different, can mean different things in English... but only in different contexts of course because English is a contextual language.... is best moved to Absolutely Everything Else....  So this side issue should be wound up before a topic wound is inflicted........ :top:

BTW, apart from my bad for wandering off topic, it's not been raining and it's been really rather nice this afternoon.   Feel like we dodged a downpour.

** lucky I didn't mention Alan Hale....I'd really be in trouble then.....luckily I dodged a downpour and being in hot water by going here.....everything else absolutely

Heavy rain, 20 C, very black clouds, some thundering.

Really nice this morning, even a bit too sunny,  but now it's clouding over and becoming muggy, temperature around 25 C.  Looks like we're in for a stormy downpour but barometer is surprisingly steady.   Gardening halted for lunch and possibility of rain.

All this week we seem to have bad weather off and on with thunderstorms.

SimCityAT wrote:

All this week we seem to have bad weather off and on with thunderstorms.

Same here.    We had a massive dump last night complete with the thunder and lightning theatrics.

I have ongoing work outside and I cannot get on with it.   

What gets me is that I look at the forecast all the time and it might as well be random.  It's never accurate more than about 16h ahead if that.  Might as well just look out the window and use the No 1 eyeball to get the measure of it.

And only yesterday I thought, summer is finally here.  But it's just playing games with us.

Rain stopped play...again... rain...19 C

This isn't normal.

Ah... Finally a day without strong winds here. But, looks like rain this afternoon.

Stuffed again on outside work (using electrical machines anyway).

Started raining this morning at maybe 0400h and now is 17 C, very dull and a light kind of drizzly atmosphere.   

This is not the summer I ordered and I want my money back.

fluffy2560 wrote:

Started raining this morning at maybe 0400h

About the same here. 2 cm of rain by noon.  But actually now rather warm outside. Partial overcast, and no rain at the moment.

Update: 16:30 here and raining again.

Raining.... yet again....just a couple of days ago it said on forecasts it was to be a clear period.    And it's just thundering and heavy showers every hour.    Thor is moving his furniture and taking a bath...

I had significant plans outside to do some digging, hanging a gate and doing some fencing and some car repairs. 

All thwarted once more...

fluffy2560 wrote:

Raining.... yet again....just a couple of days ago it said on forecasts it was to be a clear period.    And it's just thundering and heavy showers every hour.    Thor is moving his furniture and taking a bath...

Ah, what a difference a few hundred KM makes.

Sunny and warm here north west of the Lake. No rain. Shame on me for being inside checking emails, not outside..... ;)

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Ah, what a difference a few hundred KM makes.

Sunny and warm here north west of the Lake. No rain. Shame on me for being inside checking emails, not outside..... ;)

Hear hear,  being inside is wasting time.  I was able to get some of ordinary work done though.  It's sunny now and clearing but everything is soaking wet and soggy.   I might go out and see what I can do but if it rains again, I shall be writing letters to Zeus or Odin or whoever and I will be signing them ....Angry of Hungary!

More rain is predicted but I might as well just throw the dice.

fluffy2560 wrote:

It's sunny now and clearing but everything is soaking wet and soggy.   I might go out and see what I can do but if it rains again, I shall be writing letters to Zeus or Odin or whoever and I will be signing them ....Angry of Hungary!

Oh dear....  :(

Have you considered some gardening more appropriate for the local conditions? Such as mushrooms...... ?

But let us all consider, despite the oddities this year, at least the current conditions are not UK weather....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4HTB-8SfE

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

It's sunny now and clearing but everything is soaking wet and soggy.   I might go out and see what I can do but if it rains again, I shall be writing letters to Zeus or Odin or whoever and I will be signing them ....Angry of Hungary!

Oh dear....  :(

Have you considered some gardening more appropriate for the local conditions? Such as mushrooms...... ?

Fish farming might be more appropriate. Strangely enough my dear old Dad in addition to his bee keeping liked mushroom growing.  I quite like the idea of growing but I don't have muchroom.   Everyone tries to be friends with a fun-gi. Etc.

BTW, I read a really good book about bee keeping - people might like it.   Sting in the Tale by Dave Goulson.  I learnt quite a bit from that book and it's well written and entertaining.  We have some bumblebees living in my garden  close to my shed.  I am leaving them there to do their own thing to help in the garden.   Bit off topic - should be gardening.

klsallee wrote:

But let us all consider, despite the oddities this year, at least the current conditions are not UK weather....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh4HTB-8SfE

Ah, the famous Spike Milligan.   He was a very strange probably slightly mad but mostly funny guy. 

His epitaph on his headstone was "I told you I was ill" (in Irish).   He was actually Irish rather than British.  But much loved. 

His first book Hitler: My Part in his Downfall  is a fun read.   I'd even say it's required reading by students!

I don't believe it.

Rain again,  yes, wtf, it's here again.

Quite heavy with some blue spots amongst the grey clouds but warm at 24 C.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I don't believe it.

I agree. The weather this year is indeed not to be believed, and definitely at the WTF level (Weather That's Frustrating)......

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I don't believe it.

I agree. The weather this year is indeed not to be believed, and definitely at the WTF level (Weather That's Frustrating)......

It's one of those weird ones - it's warm and humid but also muddy out there from the downpours.  Our garden is a work in progress which needs professional builders - we should have included the garden when we were building the house. .  I managed to do some fencing with one of the Fluffyettes helping. In this weather lying under the car in the wet and damp isn't a lot of fun and the sticky mud ruins your tools.

I believe tomorrow could be 28 C but more rain is forecast.

I just don't get the seasons anymore. It was 32°C yesterday. Hot, clear sky no breeze, and now we have this........!!

https://scontent.fvie2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/103943881_10158163440512279_5581950512707076682_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQmrBUrBF8sW7nLxyifyve68I8FWMojXmUtzpgjOyzdafLIpme5uFDHnimXSd9Y51lg&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie2-1.fna&oh=7429ec9094d1994f83a0567f0dd27382&oe=5F0B5B77

SimCityAT wrote:

I just don't get the seasons anymore. It was 32°C yesterday. Hot, clear sky no breeze, and now we have this........!!

[img align=C]https://scontent.fvie2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/103943881_10158163440512279_5581950512707076682_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQmrBUrBF8sW7nLxyifyve68I8FWMojXmUtzpgjOyzdafLIpme5uFDHnimXSd9Y51lg&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie2-1.fna&oh=7429ec9094d1994f83a0567f0dd27382&oe=5F0B5B77[/url]

It's totally random out this way too.   Last night we had thunder/lightning with a massive dump of rain. It's  incredibly humid too now.  Just ripe for yet more rain but the sky is currently clear. Barometer is showing more rain and falling pressure. 

It's like being in the UK - you have to check the weather every five minutes to see if you're going to be in trouble with power tools.  It's taking me twice as long to complete my outside garden jobs.

fluffy2560 wrote:

It's totally random out this way too.   Last night we had thunder/lightning with a massive dump of rain. It's  incredibly humid too now.  Just ripe for yet more rain but the sky is currently clear. Barometer is showing more rain and falling pressure. 

It's like being in the UK - you have to check the weather every five minutes to see if you're going to be in trouble with power tools.  It's taking me twice as long to complete my outside garden jobs.

Put all my jobs outside on hold now, will do weeding etc... But erecting some decking will be pointless although its nearly ended as soon as I bring tools out, the heavens will open.

All revved up and ready to hit the lakes this week. Looks like rain though....
Budapest is dry for the most part.
I'd take my chances and travel to the lakes rain or no rain but I am not the only one going.
Darn, bought a light weight beach chair and ready to break out my new swimsuit. ( Ready to bust out with all the sitting around during the lockdown time!)
The problem we have with summer's in Hungary is they are far too short and the weather can change on a dime.
Hawaii has a 28 day or longer quarantine for any tourists going there.
Can't even imagine going that far and sitting in a hotel for a month and then getting the bill.
I am glad Hungary is opening up for the summer, Hawaii is on a suicide mission.
Saw last month on Maui only people allowed in the water or walking, no sitting on the beach, no chairs, no towels laying down and no umbrellas or a $5,000. fine and up to one year in jail!
World gone crazy.
Fingers crossed that it only rains at night so everyone can enjoy the sun while it is shinning for these few months.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

All revved up and ready to hit the lakes this week. Looks like rain though....
Budapest is dry for the most part.
I'd take my chances and travel to the lakes rain or no rain but I am not the only one going.
Darn, bought a light weight beach chair and ready to break out my new swimsuit. ( Ready to bust out with all the sitting around during the lockdown time!)
The problem we have with summer's in Hungary is they are far too short and the weather can change on a dime.
Hawaii has a 28 day or longer quarantine for any tourists going there.
Can't even imagine going that far and sitting in a hotel for a month and then getting the bill.
I am glad Hungary is opening up for the summer, Hawaii is on a suicide mission.
Saw last month on Maui only people allowed in the water or walking, no sitting on the beach, no chairs, no towels laying down and no umbrellas or a $5,000. fine and up to one year in jail!
World gone crazy.
Fingers crossed that it only rains at night so everyone can enjoy the sun while it is shinning for these few months.

I don't think you are going to spend much time in the lake.  The flashing warning lights will be on. 

It's a real storm going on here at the moment - looks like a nasty one. It must be directly over Budapest.  On the edge here, District II almost, it's looking like very heavy.  Of course the moment I went outside, the crashing and banging and flashing and darkness began but no rain - maybe it'll blow away.  It's like Thor is looking down and timing interference when I want to do stuff outside.   What a PITA. I should have done more sacrifices and the opposite of a rain dance.

The quarantine thing is going to stop business/holiday/vacation travel stone dead.  I'm doing all of my work by Zoom VC these days.  Looks like the age of carefree travel is well and truly over!

Our electricity got out for an hour even traffic lights and our mobile network was effected.

SimCityAT wrote:

Our electricity got out for an hour even traffic lights and our mobile network was effected.

No power interruptions so far.

Despite all the crashing and banging it's just brought a slow drizzle.    That's on top of the torrential downpour we had overnight.     I mistakenly thought this was going to be a flash in the pan but it looks like it could be all day.  I could have stayed in bed. 

I've resorted to watching old British prison lags master criminal comedy films from the 1960s.

Meanwhile, just more noise.   All the radar action is shown here OMSZ.

fluffy2560 wrote:

I don't think you are going to spend much time in the lake.  The flashing warning lights will be on.  !

Yep.

Currently, from my front porch view of the lake over the small expanse of the lake that I have, I see three flashing storm warning lights since afternoon rains started.....

And the barometer is falling.....