Today's Weather

My system drive is SSD, but the new drive is for storage, so I got a standard drive - they're half the price, plus it seems a shame to have all those drive bays with nothing in them.        -@Cynic

Oh, moving parts, meh.   We have fairly regular power interruptions and I've lost a few drives and data on them. I always get them with long guarantees so I can send them back.  I won't obviously get my data back if there's a repair.  Anyhoo, SSDs are so much faster with a decent USB box and USB connection.

I reckon I've generated 600+ GB so far in my time on earth.  I am wondering about that as a legacy, maybe up to 1TB which could be forever stored online.

When my brother passed, his adult kids deleted all his online presence.  I still don't know why they did that and when I asked them they said it was no longer relevant.   He was an intellectual guy and had participated in many published studies and so on. I managed to save some of his legacy data as it was on one of his PCs I inherited.  When my mother passed, I took her disk out of her (useless) desktop PC and archived the data to my server and the cloud.    Her PC went to be recycled.

-@fluffy2560

Except for one laptop that I gave away to one of my wife's colleagues so her son could do the home schooling during Covid, I still have all the PC's I've ever owned; I also have my old Commodores (16, 64 and Amiga) somewhere in the attic.  I've no idea why I'm keeping them - perhaps there is some weather software that will run on them?

Except for one laptop that I gave away to one of my wife's colleagues so her son could do the home schooling during Covid, I still have all the PC's I've ever owned; I also have my old Commodores (16, 64 and Amiga) somewhere in the attic.  I've no idea why I'm keeping them - perhaps there is some weather software that will run on them?

-@Cynic

I've still got my BBC micro.  You could donate your Commodores to the Computer Museum.  They can use them for spare parts.

The BBC micro replacement is the Raspberry Pi (RPi).  For the money, it's brilliantly designed and a great place to experiment.  I wanted to use it as a replacement for a PC we watch videos on and just for mucking about.  It works really well but you need to be a bit of a nerd to get on with it.

You can get some SW for it like Geochron but it means paying out and it's not RPi based or open source.  It's not cheap either.  I keep looking for an open source freeware version.

I've got about 6 laptops in the cellar. I take out the disks and memory usually.  It's reached the point where they have to go to be recycled. I'm never going to use them again. I was keeping them as spares but it's all moved on.   The recycling people can recover the gold used in them.

Sunday 21st Jan 2024:

-4C at 0800h and very sunny but low sun makes driving difficult.  Currently touch under 1C. Pressure steady. Slight breeze from the North, 1.6 m/s.   Sunrise 07.23h and sunset 16.27h. 

Should be over 0C today and potentially workable to do minor things outside so long as it's not digging as the ground is frozen.  I am planning to collect some wood for chopping from the MIL today. I was going to chainsaw it there but I might as well bring it back to Fluffy Towers and chainsaw it here.  Some of it is already in 30cm lengths.   I did chop some wood yesterday and my back is paying for it.  Oh dear....I never learn.

My system drive is SSD, but the new drive is for storage, so I got a standard drive - they're half the price, plus it seems a shame to have all those drive bays with nothing in them.        -@CynicOh, moving parts, meh.   We have fairly regular power interruptions and I've lost a few drives and data on them. I always get them with long guarantees so I can send them back.  I won't obviously get my data back if there's a repair.  Anyhoo, SSDs are so much faster with a decent USB box and USB connection. I reckon I've generated 600+ GB so far in my time on earth.  I am wondering about that as a legacy, maybe up to 1TB which could be forever stored online.When my brother passed, his adult kids deleted all his online presence.  I still don't know why they did that and when I asked them they said it was no longer relevant.   He was an intellectual guy and had participated in many published studies and so on. I managed to save some of his legacy data as it was on one of his PCs I inherited.  When my mother passed, I took her disk out of her (useless) desktop PC and archived the data to my server and the cloud.    Her PC went to be recycled.        -@fluffy2560

-@Cynic

You defo take the cake on saving old laptops.

My husband might come in second.

He finally ditched the huge table top  Tandy computer he bought for out son 35 years ago from Radio Shack. ( Cost a small fortune for the time, over $1,700 and it was a dial up thing)

We have 2 in storeage in the US plus, 6 cheaper laptops, 3 work and 3 don't.

One has a game in the hard drive he plans on removing before tossing the thing in the trash. Been hearing about it for a few years now...

You defo take the cake on saving old laptops.
My husband might come in second.
He finally ditched the huge table top  Tandy computer he bought for out son 35 years ago from Radio Shack. ( Cost a small fortune for the time, over $1,700 and it was a dial up thing)
We have 2 in storeage in the US plus, 6 cheaper laptops, 3 work and 3 don't.
One has a game in the hard drive he plans on removing before tossing the thing in the trash. Been hearing about it for a few years now...

-@Marilyn Tassy

If the Tandy is a classic, you could check it out on Ebay and see if anyone will buy it.  Some people like those things.

Some people collect things.  The non-working ones, take the disks out and send the machine for recycling.

I like these things and I have some classic bits.  Some people have ported the old games on to other devices. Quite amazing someone felt the need to do that.

Well, we survived the latest Storm (Isha?); can't say the same for next door's letter box which I found on its side in our driveway.  Been out with the dog, 7C now, and expecting a bit higher during the day; the wind is still playing up (circa 40 km/h) but will die down later today/tonight.

Off for physio now.

Well, we survived the latest Storm (Isha?); can't say the same for next door's letter box which I found on its side in our driveway.  Been out with the dog, 7C now, and expecting a bit higher during the day; the wind is still playing up (circa 40 km/h) but will die down later today/tonight.
Off for physio now.

-@Cynic

It was almost -7C here last night.  Heavy frost but very sunny (typical Eastern Europe).  The low sun makes driving difficult.   Where the sun gets, it's about 0C.   No storm weather but really cold.  It's been like this for weeks.

It'll be storm Ishi(?) for Rishi over something this week I'm sure.  I had to get in some comment over the names.

I need physio for my back after lifting heavy logs.  Mrs F helped of course. Managed to get about 10 logs back here for chopping up and wood stacking.  Each log is maybe 20cm thick and 4ft long.  It'll be 2 years before we can use the wood anyway. It has to dry out a lot.

I decided to take my chainsaw to the MIL's but while I managed to get it started but couldn't do anything.  It would run but wouldn't rev up.   Brought it back here and found the throttle cable had come off.   Fixed that in 2 mins.  I mixed up some two stroke fuel as well ready for the fight.  I should be back in business for tomorrow. 

I just got back from physio and had acupuncture for the 1st time ever, have to see how long the effects last.

Next up is Storm Jocelyn, we just received the latest weather warning, luckily we're a bit south of the forecasted rain storms.

2 deaths so far, I don't understand why people would go out in that kind of weather. With winds of 107mph.

2 deaths so far, I don't understand why people would go out in that kind of weather. With winds of 107mph.-@SimCityAT

I guess some people just will risk it thinking it'll never happen to them.

Storm Jocelyn has already stopped all rail in Scotland.

It's one after the other!   I blame Brexit.

lcimg-36ce16e4-38f4-4334-a34a-cd97aba7b0ee.jpeg

lcimg-36ce16e4-38f4-4334-a34a-cd97aba7b0ee.jpeg-@SimCityAT

Hearing all that from the UK and bad luck for them. Here, it's just blinking cold and snowy.   

It's holding up my outside work!

Living where we do in the Vale of York, apart from the cooler summers and warmer winters which are a feature of living around here (it has always been this way and has nothing to do with global warming), we do get winds blowing up from the Dales.

Living where we do in the Vale of York, apart from the cooler summers and warmer winters which are a feature of living around here (it has always been this way and has nothing to do with global warming), we do get winds blowing up from the Dales.        -@Cynic

To cope with windy Dales, you need more flat caps, whippets and black pudding ;)

We seem to be stuck in a rut here with freezing weather.  I am frustrated as I have stuff to do with my chainsaw.

I used to work in Munich and we used to get Föhn winds.  That was something else.  Similar to the Chinook winds I suppose.  It could be really warm suddenly in the middle of winter.

At 11.35h,  it's 4C, chill factor feels 1C, wind 3.3 m/s WSW,  sunset at 16.30h. 

Living where we do in the Vale of York, apart from the cooler summers and warmer winters which are a feature of living around here (it has always been this way and has nothing to do with global warming), we do get winds blowing up from the Dales.        -@Cynic

To cope with windy Dales, you need more flat caps, whippets and black pudding wink.png

We seem to be stuck in a rut here with freezing weather.  I am frustrated as I have stuff to do with my chainsaw.

I used to work in Munich and we used to get Föhn winds.  That was something else.  Similar to the Chinook winds I suppose.  It could be really warm suddenly in the middle of winter.

At 11.35h,  it's 4C, chill factor feels 1C, wind 3.3 m/s WSW,  sunset at 16.30h. 

-@fluffy2560

I have a collection of flat caps (including one that matches my Barbour Jacket), a Patterdale Terrier (they're more properly recognised as coming from a bit further north up in Northumberland) and I can't stand black pudding.

Right now 5C and it's pissing down with rain, expecting Storm Jocelyn to start building up behind the rain.

Living where we do in the Vale of York, apart from the cooler summers and warmer winters which are a feature of living around here (it has always been this way and has nothing to do with global warming), we do get winds blowing up from the Dales.        -@CynicTo cope with windy Dales, you need more flat caps, whippets and black pudding wink.pngWe seem to be stuck in a rut here with freezing weather.  I am frustrated as I have stuff to do with my chainsaw.I used to work in Munich and we used to get Föhn winds.  That was something else.  Similar to the Chinook winds I suppose.  It could be really warm suddenly in the middle of winter. At 11.35h,  it's 4C, chill factor feels 1C, wind 3.3 m/s WSW,  sunset at 16.30h.          -@fluffy2560I have a collection of flat caps (including one that matches my Barbour Jacket), a Patterdale Terrier (they're more properly recognised as coming from a bit further north up in Northumberland) and I can't stand black pudding.Right now 5C and it's pissing down with rain, expecting Storm Jocelyn to start building up behind the rain.        -@Cynic

I know about Boris.

Flat caps can look quite good.  But not on me.   I don't like black pudding either.  Or tripe.  Or brawn.    My mother (Ossett) and grandfather (Wakefield) used to like that stuff.  I suppose local delicacies.

Those storm names are weird.   Some years, they are picking the names of my wider family members.  It's like they know something.

I'm thinking of chainsawing today as we'll have a high of 7C.  I also have to get up ladders to replace an outside light fitting.  Standing on ladders is surprisingly tough on my back.  Weirdly UV has "disintegrated" the plastic parts so it's got a big hole in it.  You'd think UV protected plastic would be used on an outside light.

I've been waiting for days for the weather to improve.  Thursday it should be a lot better, almost into double digits. I need it up to about 15C before I can tackle really big jobs like my hobby car gearbox.

I think couple of hours chainsawing today and 1h on lights on Thursday. 

Those storm names are weird.   Some years, they are picking the names of my wider family members.  It's like they know something.I'm thinking of chainsawing today as we'll have a high of 7C.  I also have to get up ladders to replace an outside light fitting.  Standing on ladders is surprisingly tough on my back.  Weirdly UV has "disintegrated" the plastic parts so it's got a big hole in it.  You'd think UV protected plastic would be used on an outside light. I've been waiting for days for the weather to improve.  Thursday it should be a lot better, almost into double digits. I need it up to about 15C before I can tackle really big jobs like my hobby car gearbox.I think couple of hours chainsawing today and 1h on lights on Thursday.          -@fluffy2560

The names are chosen by 3 met services (Ireland, the UK and Netherlands) - I think it's because the storms that affect The European mainland always hit one of those 3 first and I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.  You need a licence in the UK to rent/operate a chainsaw, interestingly only our youngest daughter has one and she got that from her equine uni course.  She's now a nurse, I think the prices of owning horses came as a bit of a surprise once Mum and Dad weren't subsidising it, so she returned to Uni and got a nursing degree.

its 9°C and now we have a storm warning. A yellow warning with strong winds. Tomorrow its going to be 15°C

The names are chosen by 3 met services (Ireland, the UK and Netherlands) - I think it's because the storms that affect The European mainland always hit one of those 3 first and I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.  You need a licence in the UK to rent/operate a chainsaw, interestingly only our youngest daughter has one and she got that from her equine uni course.  She's now a nurse, I think the prices of owning horses came as a bit of a surprise once Mum and Dad weren't subsidising it, so she returned to Uni and got a nursing degree.       -@Cynic

I think cats and dogs have household jobs but not sure what horses do.

No chainsaw DLs here.  Just buy one anywhere you like, power it up and if irresponsible wave it about maniacally like a demented movie character and/or like me, wear the right gear and use it to cut wood.   I've got all the gear - hard hat with built in ear defenders and face guard, heavy duty kevlar gloves, overalls, eye protection and steel tipped boots. 

I got the petrol one in Aldi. It's got different attachments - branch lopper/chain saw with a short blade, hedge trimmer, brush cutter (metal) and brush cutter (plastic).  I also have an Bosch electric chainsaw with a longer blade.   They are so cheap, I'm thinking of getting another petrol one with a longer bar/chain for bigger trunks/branches.  Then I don't need access to electricity next to the tree.  I expect I will need a couple of new chains after today's tree trunk massacre.  New chains make all the difference when there's a lot to do. I think maybe there's 3 x more trunks to chop as of today.

I don't think Isha sounds very IE, GB or NL.  Presumably Jocelyn is a UK one.  Who is next, probably Ireland?  Storm Liam next? Storm Louis? I could look it up but there's some fun in idly speculating.

Thu Jan 25 @ 10.10h

9.1C, very windy with 3.2 m/s gusting to 6.1 m/s, chill factor feels like 6.8C.   Extremely sunny and low humidity.   Sunset at 16.33h.   

Gradually we're getting daylight back.  Snowdrops are coming up in the garden.  The wind will help dry out the ground and means I can do some digging and outside work. 

Might go to OBI (like UK's B&Q) and see if they have any interesting chainsaw blades and chainsaws so I can finish chopping up wood.

Oh and I should do some work.  I will be on my travels in Feb but not going too far away this time.

Sunday 28th Jan @ 10.40:

Wind has died down.  It was very windy yesterday and high chill factor when I was chainsawing tree trunks/branches at my MIL's place.  I had to stop as my chains on my saws became blunted.  I will need to get some new ones on Monday.  I am thinking of buying another more powerful petrol chainsaw.  It'll cut the logs like butter. I am surprised how much chainsawing I get involved in. 

Anyhoo, it's 6.5C, wind low, very sunny, sunset 16.38h  - gained 5m since last week.  We're getting 1m a day back.  It's quite nice with the sun on you.

Yay for better weather!

We had a few days of strong winds, surprisingly the sirens didn't go off to call the fire brigade.

345444162_999548581210641_4427585925571246808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=783fdb&_nc_ohc=yR2b7KsokcMAX-UoC83&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDkv2OQF1Qk9vnbG5JoridZBA6YG1CcVOs3AGfDAdNnRQ&oe=65BA1D82

Not bad for a volunteer fire brigade.

6°C now at 11am, but it has been 15°C and had the heating turned off.

We had a few days of strong winds, surprisingly the sirens didn't go off to call the fire brigade.
345444162_999548581210641_4427585925571246808_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=783fdb&_nc_ohc=yR2b7KsokcMAX-UoC83&_nc_ht=scontent.fvie1-1.fna&oh=00_AfDkv2OQF1Qk9vnbG5JoridZBA6YG1CcVOs3AGfDAdNnRQ&oe=65BA1D82

Not bad for a volunteer fire brigade.

6°C now at 11am, but it has been 15°C and had the heating turned off.

-@SimCityAT

Nice fire gear.  I suppose it provides community cohesion as well as local protection.  I'd like to play with some of those toys.

We get a lot of sun blasting on the house. It warms up a lot.  It's not "passive" but we have plenty of windows and that really pushes temperatures inside.   Our plants like it as it's a bit like a greenhouse.

I am thinking of dog walking but might put it off until tomorrow as Mrs F can come with me tomorrow but not today.

I have to put my tools back in the shed anyway and stack up my new logs.  I will pay for it on back pain.  Maybe I should think of it as exercise and physio.

My car smells like a forestry worker's - petrol and cut wood.

Wednesday 31st Jan 2024 @12.30h

3.8C, wind 02 m/s from WNW, trying to be sunny but quite cloudy, certainly brighter, UV showing as 1.2, sunset 16.42h.

These single digit temperatures seem overly persistent.  Should be a change come early February. I can see some bulbs are coming up in the garden. Just poking out.  Snowdrops already out.

Some forecasts say up to 9C today but I'm not convinced.  I've been outside and it's not going to warm up unless we can get actual sunshine on the ground.   

Dog walking Thursday, maybe some DIY, chainsawing Friday. 

Might do some actual work too.  I pretend to work and they pretend to pay me.

Been out with Boris first thing, and he's now lying in wait ready to pounce when the dustman and postman dare show their faces.

Almost forgot - currently 9C, but the wind is bringing that down to 3C; forecasting heavy rain tonight.  Rest of the week and into next week, temps are creeping up to 12C.

For your diary:

Tuesday 13th February - Pancake Day

Friday 29th March - Monday 1st April - Easter

So pancakes Tuesday and chocolate eggs later in March.  Yay!

Good grief, the storms we have had over the last 24 hours. Even making it in the national papers.

https://kurier.at/chronik/niederoesterreich/etliche-einsaetze-der-feuerwehr-wegen-sturm-in-niederoesterreich/402767623

dsc7590.jpeg

presse021.jpg

abd0004.jpg

abd0008.jpg

@SimCityAT

I've been doing a lot of chainsawing recently at my MIL.   

I've decided I need a proper petrol chainsaw now so I'm shopping. 

I would like to chop up that tree in the picture.  It's a strange satisfaction doing that.  I've heard digger drivers have very high job satisfaction as do wrecking ball operators.

But I am wondering if it's a bit like the old saying "if you're a hammer, every problem looks like a nail".

Now, maybe things need a reset - everything I look recently needs a chainsaw. 

I've also started splitting logs with an axe. I might need some metal wedges too.

Had planned chainsawing at the MIL's but weather is rubbish:

8C (chill 7C), wind 1.1 m/s from SE, 1mm rain since midnight, pressure steady, cloudy, half-moon, sunrise 6.21h, sunset 17.30h

Days getting longer by 1-2 minutes a day. Yay!

I was hoping for 15-16C and some sun but it is not to be.

Unfortunately Sunday chainsawing brings complaints from my MIL's neighbours.  I've been banned from chainsawing on a Sunday.   Dog also not getting a walk in the rain but Sunday should be OK for it.

Today its quite pleasant, at least it's not raining. Got a high of 13°C today. Tomorrow (Sunday) its going to be 17°C. Its still chilly at night with 3°C / 4°C.

Past few days have been rubbish weather. 

A few days ago I took part of the car to pieces and then it started raining and now it's rather cold. Too cold to put it together.

Besides I'm waiting for spare parts to arrive.  That's my excuse.

Only 4C and was drizzling early on and we've had 0.2mm since midnight.  Breeze from SSE 1 m/s.

Sunset 17.39h. 

Not long to go for clocks to go forward.  March 31st in fact. 

It is overcast 5C here atm, forecasting 8C later today, and tomorrow the same.  Sunday is Mother's Day in the UK and the girls are all off to Lotherton Hall:

Another_view_of_Lotherton_Hall_-_geograph.org.uk_-_886280.jpg

It is overcast 5C here atm, forecasting 8C later today, and tomorrow the same.  Sunday is Mother's Day in the UK and the girls are all off to Lotherton Hall:
Another_view_of_Lotherton_Hall_-_geograph.org.uk_-_886280.jpg-@Cynic

Looks nice at the Hall - they should go today too as it's IWD - international Women's Day.   

Not noted on my radar unfortunately but over here, it's a bit of a thing.  And I always forget. And I shouldn't.

Mother's Day I'm not sure about. I think we have the later one here.

Weather isn't up to scratch.  We should be in sunshine.  I cannot believe it's only 4C.  It's messing up my car repairs, my gardening and my shed tidying up.

All the mums in my family are otherwise employed today (I was going to say working, but that only applies to my wife, the other 2 are either picking up their husband from the airport, or on maternity leave).

It's been 18°C. But the last couple of days back to 4°C. So had to put the heating back on. Wish the weather would make it's mind up.

@SimCityAT

Yup, rubbish isn't it?   Well, it's Friday again.  Could be a TGIF moment.

I'm thinking of doing nothing much due to the cold and rain.  I'm waiting for the Missus and kids to come back anyway as we planned to do some stuff together.

I've been watching a TV show called Banshee. It's pretty good so far. There are  4 seasons.  I'm now on Season 3.

I could watch that instead of being "productive".

Almost mid-March and the general look of the weather is only just starting to be normalised for this time of year. All the daffs are coming out finally.

Very nicely sunny this morning but not that warm, only 11C, wind 2.1 m/s from ENE, low humidity 50%, UV 2.7,  sunset 17.48.

Unusual to see UV actually appearing again after the winter.

Let's hope for tomorrow's (Friday 15th March) public holiday will be equally sunny and much warmer.

Nicer weather and public holidays will allow more gardening at Fluffy Towers and wood cutting at the MIL's.   My new petrol chainsaw needs an outing. I went semi-pro and got a Stihl at a quite good discount (almost half price compared to retail price from the UK).    It's really noisy but it's rather powerful and scares me a lot.   But I'm ultra cautious and I do at least have all the protective gear and reasonable knowledge. 

It's a bit weird here today, overcast, but with a temp of 15C, that's spring weather.  I noticed something while out with the dog this morning, all this rain has washed away a lot of topsoil and the copse of trees we have at the end of our road is beginning to show its roots; these are big trees that have been there for over 100 years!

It's a bit weird here today, overcast, but with a temp of 15C, that's spring weather.  I noticed something while out with the dog this morning, all this rain has washed away a lot of topsoil and the copse of trees we have at the end of our road is beginning to show its roots; these are big trees that have been there for over 100 years!

-@Cynic

We've had overcast for about a week.  It makes it all dark here and by about 16h, I had to come in as the low light was making things too much hard work.  It's not good on temperatures. 25+ years ago, we had 20C and sunny in February here in Budapest.  Mrs F and I were out cycling in our T-shirts back then.   That's not happened for some years.  It looks to me like our Spring is getting later.

Topsoil being washed away is not a good thing.   The vegetation is stopping erosion.  Maybe someone should dump a few tonnes of topsoil back on there.  I really like trees and I hate to see any of them disappearing or being cut unnecessarily.       

There's a BBC article on Giant Redwoods in the UK here.  Surprised me they were that common.   Looks like the UK will save them as California undergoes climate change.   All in favour of that. 

I wonder the climate will signal a complete change - maybe other flora and fauna will be seeking refuge outside of their normal range.   We already know about the colonies of wallabies in the UK.    Maybe we'll be having zebra, wildebeest and antelopes on the plains of Hungary.

Odd weather today.

Yesterday was really warm, almost 15C. 

Today, cold with biting winds of 2-5 m/s and only about 9 to 11C.  Sunset 17,52h.

I was out walking the dog at the sport/gliding airport/airfield (Haromhatarhegy - Three Borders Hill) and there are some angry ones around and some nice ones.  Our doggy is intimidated by just about any other dog that shows an interest and surrenders immediately.   Bit of a fight developed between a young German Shepherd and our Goldie.   The GS owner was on the phone but the son was controlling the dog.  It shouldn't be out where other people are without training.  Our dog thinks everyone is her friend.  And then she finds out otherwise.