Hotels in Medellin

Greetings Everybody,

I am planning a trip to Medellin in January to view the Christmas lights in the park and also the social life.

My question what hotels would you recommend for me to stay in Pobliateo to view the Christmas lights and to sample the social life.

I have been going to Costa Rica for the past 15 years and now seek an new venue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and or list of hotels that I might be interested in.

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,
William

Dear William,

Welcome to the Medellín and Colombia forums of expat.com ....

Book your room now as Christmastime and the first half of January can be super-busy for the hotels in your sector of interest in Medellín .. and various other Colombian cities as well.

Pictures, descriptions, rates, guest-evaluations and availabilities are available at booking.com ...

A decent Gringo site for apartment rentals is airbnb.com ...  Spanish-language sites may offer lower rental rates.  Whoa Nellie and Brother Archer have posted some good sites in the past :top: and it may be timely for them to do so again if stopping by.

The sector you are talking about may actually be spelled Poblado. :cool:

Prices for hotels there can range from under $30 US to hundreds of dollars a night, so if you post here again, you may wish to indicate your price range.

cccmedia

Airbnb would certainly be the place I'd first look rather than any hotel.  Here you can find airbnb listings for Poblado, and also for other Medellín neighborhoods if desired:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/El-Poblado--Me … --Colombia

OsageArcher wrote:

Airbnb would certainly be the place I'd first look rather than any hotel.

IMO the discussion of hotel versus AirBNB deserves fuller discussion than may be appropriate to this thread about a visitor's January trip to Medellín.

Ipso facto, I have created this new thread titled AirBNB Versus Hotel....

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 13#4374963

-- cccmedia

Now a reasonable question with reasonable answers.

But the OP doesnt give us a price range.

I have a suggestion. Look up hotels  in your price range on booking.com and hotels,com, pick a couple you like, and we will try tp tell you what we think based on reputation.

I can tell you that the Hamptons in Poblado had bad service when I ws there and is over priced.

But thats the way Ponblado is now adays with all the tourist coming in.

Just from the standpoint of "cultural immersion", I think you have a better opportunity to do that at an Airbnb where you may be staying with an ordinary family, or a couple, or just an individual not in the hotel industry per se - and also where longer term stays can be quite negotiable as to price (although it never hurts to ask, and try to bargain, at a hotel either).

Also the Airbnb host may be likely to know the immediate area better than a hotel employee and be more able and willing to discuss sightseeing, dining and entertainment options, dicey areas, and almost anything else, too.