Long term renting

Hi we are looking to rent long term from February for 6-9 months, can anyone tell me what the score is regarding needing a visa or do I have to apply to become a citizen after certain amount of time, many thanks

You cannot stay permanently in Spain for over three months unless you register on the EU Citizen Register If you are an EU National   

After Brexit it may be more difficult than that

If you stay in Spain for over 183 days in any year you become automatically tax resident on your worldwide income and in some circumstances assets too

Short breaks away from Spain do not reset the clock

You need to take care

Ok thank you so how long should I stay for before going home for month

I think under 90 days and maybe for a few days should mean you will have not stayed THREE MONTHS  PERMANENTLY

So possibly go home for few weeks then back out again for couple of months... thanks John I'll check for sure

I am not sure who else you intend to check with. 

If you come to the police station where I have worked for 20 years I will tell you what I have said here !

What police station,  where are you in Spain, cheers

Sorry if I was over subtle

What I was saying was,   what I told you is what the police will tell you wherever you are in Spain:  It is what the law says. It applies across the whole of Spain

Apologies cheers

You will also find that Landlords/Agencies will require you to have a NIE number.

Hello

Does this apply if you have bought a home in Spain ?

Karen

Karen.evans wrote:

Hello

Does this apply if you have bought a home in Spain ?

Karen

Can you be more specific.  What is the 'this'   you refer to please ?

I was advised yesterday that if you are not a resident you can only stay 3 months on one stint then you must leave the country. If you are not resident you must apply for citizenship. I was told you can go to Gibraltar and then break the time  down and come back again however I would look it up on Internet as there may be alot of changes if we leave EU.

Smallfeet 
Please see my post of 19th November.     
It answers your question.

PS  I am given to understand that nipping over the border (going to UK etc) for a day or even a short while,  is ignored when they add up the days.

PPS.  Just to clarify.
‘Citizenship' is possibly a confusing word in this context. 

An EU national who is granted permission to stay is granted EU Citizen Registration;  a non EU  national;  residencia.

‘Citizenship' usually means obtaining Nationality I.e. the right to a passport

Ah right will tell my friend thanks
Julie

I received my Carta on Nov. 14th to teach in Collado-Villalba. I landed in Madrid on Nov. 29th and was very excited to get acclimated to the new area!!! Its hard to explain because its been a nightmare within a really great vacation!?!? Absolutely no one here speaks English and you will find very few translators even in the business fields. As I began my journey to look for a neat place to rent through Idealista and Fotocas, I soon realized.....they don't answer emails and prefer that you call. No point in calling if we cant understand each other or use google translate. So I mozied on down to the leasing offices. Long story short is that they want a copy of your Passport, VISA, NIE/TIE number, Employment Contract, and even asked me to provide renters insurance for an apartment that I could have paid for in Euros up front for 6 months plus the deposit. They do not make it easy by any means. Welcome to Espana'!