Menu
Expat.com

Sending and receiving packages in Romania

Last activity 26 November 2018 by JohnnyStLouis

Priscilla

Hello,

As an expat, there are inevitably certain items you might want or need from back home, and around the holiday period, many people like to send gift packages.

How easy is it to send and receive packages in Romania?

Is the public postal system efficient?

Do people tend to prefer using private shipping services? Which ones?

How do the costs of the private shipping services compare?

How long does it take generally to receive packages from abroad in Romania?

Do you have to pay taxes on items received by mail from abroad?

Are packages delivered right to your doorstep, or do you usually have to go collect them somewhere?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Robin & Sue

We receive packages from the EU to our door via courier or the postman as might be expected however sending EU packages is a different matter. Our local post office can't take them , we have to drive to Campulung to the main customs post office. As we visit regularly it's not a problem.

Sending & receiving packages outside the EU is a nightmare. These are sent to us and collected by us at the customs office in Pitesti which is 50km away & at least 1.5 hours. My daughter's parcels from Vancouver are summarily slashed open with a knife for inspection when I go to collect them.

I don't send or receive parcels from outside the EU anymore. It's easier to use the Internet than the postal service. I have no problem at all with couriers delivering to our home but sending personally by courier is prohibitively expensive.

Another strange thing is that some post never arrives at it's destination. I sent 3 birthday cards to the UK a month ago paying priority postage. None has arrived.

In the UK we can send parcels from any post office & receive them at the house from anywhere in the World. There seems to be very little trust here & the system is ridiculously bureaucratic.

daz90

I have had a few problems with missing letters and parcels, both from the UK and sent from here too. Loads of times inbound cards sent from the UK have failed to arrive to us.

We once sent a package to the UK and it failed to arrive, but that was a one off, however I paid for the cheapest delivery that time, since then I use just recorded for packages. Although I prefer to just take packages in my luggage when going back to the UK, my family have no problem with February Xmas gifts.

Interms of inbound parcels, if it was sent recorded it tends to arrive safely, if not it can be a bit pot luck, so we tell everyone not to bother anymore, again collecting them in person is better.

I am not a fan of the post office here in Bucharest to be honest, the service is not great, but that's more to do with the attitude of the staff, the same can be said of slot of staff at supermarkets too.

JohnnyStLouis

If you have contacts near a city with a large Romanian population there is most likely a local agent of a private Romanian shipper nearby. For sure Chicago, Detroit, Atlanta, and others.
Shipments usually are dispatched once a month and travel by ship, taking 8 weeks or so.
The cost is usually less than $1.50/lb, 40 pound minimum. Virtually no restrictions on what can be sent. There is no charge in Romania and packages are delivered to the door by private courier.
I've seen people send extention ladders, automobile tires, furniture, bicycles... Why? Don't ask me, but people send all kinds of stuff.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Romania

• Phone and Internet in Romania
    Phone and Internet in Romania

A digital nomad cannot live without an internet connection or a smart mobile phone. Therefore, the country they ...

• Accommodation in Timisoara
    Accommodation in Timisoara

Also named the City of Roses, Timisoara is an urban adventure, a popular destination for both people living in ...

• Driving in Romania
    Driving in Romania

Whether you are coming for a short stay or moving to Romania for a period of time, it is a pity not to ...

• Accommodation in Constanta
    Accommodation in Constanta

Constanta is one of the most effervescent cities of Romania, which combines modernism with a millennial history. ...

• Working in Romania
    Working in Romania

According to the Financial Times, Romania is one of Europe's most fast-growing economies, a fact that has ...

• Opening a bank account in Romania
    Opening a bank account in Romania

The community of expats in Romania is becoming more and more numerous. Therefore, opening a bank account is ...

• Accommodation in Sibiu
    Accommodation in Sibiu

The European City of Culture in 2007, Sibiu is the Transylvanian gem for expats and tourists. Due to the large ...

• The lifestyle in Romania
    The lifestyle in Romania

If you are considering moving to Romania, you must be looking for information about the future lifestyle you will ...

All of Romania's guide articles