Menu
Expat.com

Cheapest cities in Spain

Last activity 21 April 2021 by tymrtn

Bhavna

Hello everyone,

Budget is an important consideration when moving to Spain. Ideally, expats would settle down in a city in Spain where the cost of living is low but where they could also enjoy a decent quality of life. Would you be able to give a few tips to someone planning a move to Spain by answering the questions below?

What are the cheapest cities in Spain?

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low?

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities?

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like?

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Spain?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

gmdavid

You can check this post https://myspainvisa.com/cheapest-cities-live-spain/

fancys

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please use only English on the anglophone forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
mariagreen992

Hi:

Almendrlejo in Badajoz is cheap too!

LiamW

I have been living in Madrid for a while and I would say it's cheap compared to other big cities.
What I like most about Madrid is that there are a lot of things to do and a big expat community.
Regarding the budgeting, I found this post about the cost of living in Madrid in 2021 teachenglishmadrid.com/cost-of-living-in-madrid/

asartori

Many questions: Where to start? Spaniards are naturally easygoing and will help you wherever they can. That said, you have to be sharp and fast: They don't suffer fools gladly and don't expect them to do anything for you that you can do yourself. So if you cannot speak Spanish, you are going to find it extremely difficult to do the basics. Pay a parking ticket, pay a bill repair your shoes... They are in a hurry and under pressure, even in the smallest sleepy towns. Generally the smaller the town, the less the work and thus the cheaper the cost of living. Coastal town more expensive, and prices go up seasonally for tourists. The more north you go, the more expensive it becomes. The most expensive (property wise) is Santa Margarita/ ROses area with prices just under UK standards. Barcelona is also pretty steep, but go down south to say Malaga and it is cheaper.  Nearer Gibraltar it becomes expensive due to the number of expats. I found Spaniards to be lovely and never had any problems integrating. And I would rather watch a sunset and an intellectual conversation over tapas and a good tinto than spend a noisy evening in an English pub. It really depends what your expectations are. I see your question is from the VAtican: Yes definitely cheaper than Italy.

tymrtn

Cheapest city in Spain is only relevant if you have an external source of income. More relevant is the most economical city in Spain, accounting for the local salaries vs the cost of living. Apparently the answer is Alicante: https://www.spainexpat.com/information/ … -in-spain/

Articles to help you in your expat project in Spain

• Working in Tenerife
    Working in Tenerife

Are you looking for a job in Tenerife? While there are certainly opportunities, especially for fluent Spanish ...

• Internet in Spain
    Internet in Spain

Whether for work or play or keeping in touch with friends and relatives abroad, getting online will most likely be ...

• Working in the Canary Islands
    Working in the Canary Islands

The Canary Islands is Spain's southernmost autonomous community, an archipelago in the Atlantic Ocean, more ...

• Popular neighbourhoods in Seville
    Popular neighbourhoods in Seville

Once you have decided to make the beautiful city of Seville your home, the next order of business is finding a ...

• Accommodation in Madrid
    Accommodation in Madrid

Madrid, the bustling capital of Spain, is a popular destination for thousands of expatriates each year. With its ...

• Working in Valencia
    Working in Valencia

Valencia is the capital of the autonomous community of Valencia, an attractive port city with beautiful beaches, a ...

• Customs in Spain
    Customs in Spain

Before traveling to Spain for your new life abroad, you will need to be aware of the country's ...

• Developing your social circle in Seville
    Developing your social circle in Seville

For many people, building a new circle of friends is one of the most daunting aspects of being an expat. Missing ...

All of Spain's guide articles