Opgaaf Wereldinkomen

Hello everyone,
I am from Spain, and in 2014 I moved to work and live in the Netherlands. In 2017 I moved to live in Germany (right across the border) but I continued to work in the Netherlands, where I continued to pay taxes. Yet, I was never requested to file my tax return. So far so good. As of this Monday, my job contract in the Netherlands is over, whereby I do not work or live there. Yet, I received this 'Opgaaf Wereldinkomen' from the Belastingdienst, where they basically ask me for my income and savings outside the Netherlands.
Has anyone received this? Do you HAVE TO file it? What are the consequences of filing this form? Are you taxed more if you have saving abroad? Or is it just for information?
Thanks a lot in advance.
ESter

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You receive this form if you are a cross-border worker; i.e. live outside the Netherlands but work there and were in receipt of some kind of social provision/allowance (uitkering).

If you have moved to a job in another country, then that is also included in your annual tax year assessment and may affect what you were paid previously in Holland; for example, if you have moved to a better-paid job in the same tax year that you received the uitkering, you may no longer be entitled to the uitkering and may have to pay some or all of it back.

Incidentally; everybody has to submit an annual tax return in Holland; they don't have to request them, the law requires you to do it - be very careful.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team