Tax for freelance

Hello everyone, is possible work freelance without have any registered company but pay tax for the income? Thank you in advance.

brunobruno1 wrote:

Hello everyone, is possible work freelance without have any registered company but pay tax for the income? Thank you in advance.

Are you being paid in vnd by a registered company here?

Oh, no. I don't want open a company because it's so complicated and expensive, then I would like declare tax when I will receive the commission from my country. In the mean time I have chance to get invoice under may name only to the foreigner company.

If you are being paid from outside of VN, there is nothing that needs to be done in Vietnam.

colinoscapee wrote:

If you are being paid from outside of VN, there is nothing that needs to be done in Vietnam.

Can you please clarify why this is, if the work is being carried out within Vietnam?

Basically I work freelance for two contractors, neither of which are based in Vietnam. The money comes from the United Kingdom.

I've been looking at a move to Vietnam, however, assumed that because I'll be working from a home office I'd be responsible for paying tax in Vietnam, after all, I'd be living there.

I tried to get advice from some of the visa companies as well as the ones that help to set up a business, however, I don't want to spend $2,000 to open a company if I don't have to do that, although it would be beneficial to get a TRC via investment visa.

If you have any links you could provide to legal advice or anything that can help me understand the process of working as a freelancer / contractor in Vietnam then I'd greatly appreciate it!

If you work for a registered company in Vietnam, then the Company should advise you about the paying PIT (Personal Income tax).  Either you or the Company you work must pay Tax,  If you work as a freelancer and get paid from overseas, then you don't need to pay the Tax. You can open a personal account to get paid, and your invoice has nothing to do with it. If you work for Europe or US companies, they always asked to provide Tax code, and you can simply ignore it.

Yakultr wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Can you please clarify why this is, if the work is being carried out within Vietnam?

Basically I work freelance for two contractors, neither of which are based in Vietnam. The money comes from the United Kingdom.

I've been looking at a move to Vietnam, however, assumed that because I'll be working from a home office I'd be responsible for paying tax in Vietnam, after all, I'd be living there.

I tried to get advice from some of the visa companies as well as the ones that help to set up a business, however, I don't want to spend $2,000 to open a company if I don't have to do that, although it would be beneficial to get a TRC via investment visa.

If you have any links you could provide to legal advice or anything that can help me understand the process of working as a freelancer / contractor in Vietnam then I'd greatly appreciate it!

Freelance

There is no need to declare the income here in Vietnam as far as Im aware.

Thanks!

So it is as simple as just moving and working then, although I assume its not legal. I do imagine the majority of teachers & 'digital nomads' are doing the same thing.

You have perhaps just saved me a few thousand dollars 💵

colinoscapee wrote:

However you might want to avoid direct deposits to any Vietnamese banks.  That might make it difficult to bring the money out of the country later.  Have your billings paid to a bank in the UK and then transfer only what you need.  HSBC might be a good choice as they have branches in Vietnam.  There are a lot of threads on how to make transfers.

THIGV wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

However you might want to avoid direct deposits to any Vietnamese banks.  That might make it difficult to bring the money out of the country later.  Have your billings paid to a bank in the UK and then transfer only what you need.  HSBC might be a good choice as they have branches in Vietnam.  There are a lot of threads on how to make transfers.

The point about taking money out can be a major issue. Only send over what you need to live, keep the rest in your home country. VN is really anal about outward transfers.

Yakultr wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Yakultr wrote:

So it is as simple as just moving and working then, although I assume its not legal. I do imagine the majority of teachers & 'digital nomads' are doing the same thing.

Putting aside legality for a moment, it sounds as if you will be doing whatever's necessary to NOT subject yourself to taxation, correct?

You would be limited to a tourist visa, with new requirements (July 1st) to exit the country every 30 days or pay an extension fee at immigration.

Much more scrutiny on long-term tourists under the new law.

As a Scottish citizen, you can likely get a 3 month business visa (first try with the Vietnam Embassy in Scotland) for "exploring business opportunities", however, you would need to be prepared to document your specific business experience for immigration, should they ever inquire.

But even so, if you really aren't intending to do business here, then yes, that would be illegal.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

As a Scottish citizen,......

Where did you get this idea?  The OP's bio says that he is Italian and his post says his contracts are in the UK.  Perhaps you got it by PM but I don't see it.

Actually, I was rethinking my post as what I suggested may subject him to UK taxation.  Americans may assume that people must pay taxes on worldwide income in their country of citizenship as we do, but that is not always the case.  The OP has a sort of triangular problem;  Italy/UK/Vietnam.  Perhaps professional advice is in order under the circumstances.  Vietnam may actually be financially his best place to establish tax residency but the visa situation is still a bit tenuous for long term physical residency.

THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Where did you get this idea?

https://gordythomas.files.wordpress.com/2020/06/screenshot_20200602-234935_chrome.jpg

From that...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Where did you get this idea?

From that...

Oops. :dumbom:    Sorry I didn't read carefully enough and thought you were responding to the OP.  At any rate, the later part of my last comment still holds with respect to the OP.

@THIGV

in regards to your advice in getting the money sent to a uk bank, wouldn't this flag something up in the UK? Or do you just declare that you are now a Vietnamese tax resident to your bank?

Late to this thread but i find myself in a similar situation so would be keen to hear up dates. im on a TRC as a dependant but have an opportunity to work as an independent contractor for a company in Australia.

As i am now a tax resident im Vietnam I am trying to understand if i can work for an overseas company who is doing no business in Vietnam. Essentially ill be contracting to them and working remotely, and travelling to clients globally to deliver onsite services.

I don't think a work permit is needed as i don't work for a vietnamese business or generate business in vietnam, but i will have an obligation to pay income tax as it is a world wide income regime.

Anyone doing the same?