Menu
Expat.com

Moving to Mauritus

Last activity 04 November 2019 by hans831

rajatbagchis

Hi Guys!,

I am Rajat from New Delhi, though I have been an expat in both Asia and Africa a number of times before but it was all when  was single. This time I have an offer from Mauritus with a salary around USD 4K. What i want to know that will this be sufficient for a family of three with 01 scholl going kid (7 years). Are there any schools in Mauritius which follow CBSE curriculum? Whats the general cost of education there? My work location is Balaclava- How is this locality- any schools  and residential areas nearby? Looking forward to hear from you guys.
Cheers!
Rajat

mushood_badulla

Hello Rajat,

I think it depends on your standard of living to know if 4k is enough.

However, 4k USD should allow you to live rather comfortably.
Rent for a good house in that area could go to around 1k USD for a +1 year lease with utilities included.
Prices in supermarkets are pretty much the same as in Malaysia/Thailand.

As for schooling, can't really help you on that side

Hope this helps

rajatbagchis

Thank you Mushood!

Strathmore

Hi everyone.  I've got a Skype interview with a potential employer shortly and wanted to know if it's a standard aspect of Mauritian contracts to include benefits - or not? 

If yes, what do these include?  School fee assistance?  Medical aid contribution?

Not having been an expat before, I'm not sure what to negotiate!  Any help you can offer would be great.  Thanks.

poodles

Negotiate for insurance, car allowance... but if you're coming as an expat, the company is obligated to provide you accommodation and feeding with your basic salary apart

dsnmu
rajatbagchis wrote:

Hi Guys!,

I am Rajat from New Delhi, though I have been an expat in both Asia and Africa a number of times before but it was all when  was single. This time I have an offer from Mauritus with a salary around USD 4K. What i want to know that will this be sufficient for a family of three with 01 scholl going kid (7 years). Are there any schools in Mauritius which follow CBSE curriculum? Whats the general cost of education there? My work location is Balaclava- How is this locality- any schools  and residential areas nearby? Looking forward to hear from you guys.
Cheers!
Rajat

Whether 4k usd is enough will largely depend on your standard of living. For example, if you send your kids to public schools, it's free but private schools can cost around 200 - 700usd/month per kid. Balaclava is in the north and there are lots of residential areas and private schools in the north...For accommodation, just check the websites of estate agents in that region to have an idea of the cost of rent. I know people paying less than 1k usd/month for a 3-bedroom but there are others in secure gated residence who pays between 2k - 3k usd per month.

hans831

Hi Rajat .
Indeed 4000 USD  is a very decent income, based on local standards. If you adopt a simple life, for a family of 3, this would mean a reasonable rental of around 25k, groceries 20k, travelling and leisure 15k. Public schooling and Medical treatment is free. So, you can save about  half of your income,
Now, if you go out dining and wining too often and shopping becomes a hobby, then the whole picture changes.  As you know, jjitni chadar ho utna hi pair phailana...
You may send me a PM for more info.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles