Living alone

Hello!

Im currently finishing college in London, and this July my course will be done. I will be 17 and a half years old by then. I was wondering if it is possible I move to Sweden without my parents? I plan on doing university there, and if anything, could I move out alone? Or could I, even better, move in with my Swedish boyfriend (18 years old)? Is it illegal to live alone at 17 in Sweden? Thank you

When you're 25, you'll realise why I would advise you against it regardless of what laws might or might not be in place.

Hello guppyfeels,

As a father of two daughters me too totally agree with Fred.

But to also answer to your question and to begin with the practical part: It's not easy to find rental accommodations nowadays in Sweden, the country has changed drastically, it's a very expensive country to live in if you don't have a proper income and no one ever will rent out a place to you or to your Swedish boyfriend. Country has become a nightmare for youngsters, many youngsters (sometimes people up to 25-30 years old) still live with their parents since they can't afford to live alone.

For the law part: Since you are from England you don't fall in to refugees under 18 category and as a student to study in university you need to have the requirements fulfilled which you don't have right now. And NO a person under 18 categorize as a minor they can't live alone without a guardian.

It's even prohibited by the law to serve alcohol to people under 21 in Sweden and if you have sex with your boyfriend and turn him in to the law, he will be in danger since every sexual act with a person under 18 count as rape in the eyes of the law, if the other person is over 18. So now you know how seriously Sweden take it.

My two cents study hard and be qualified to a university here. All the best!

From what I've spoke to my teachers and what I've researched on universities' websites, it seemed like I fulfilled all the requirements to begin a course.

Money isn't a problem when it comes to my accommodation, either.

Anyways, thank you so much.

Why? I lived alone for a while, when my parents were both away for work, I have a job and i attend college.

Money isn't a problem for me and I'm used to dealing with adult bureaucracies and issues; maybe I'm naive but I do feel like I'm ready to live by myself

Yes some courses "Kurser"are open for students from 16 years old and up to any age but to get a university degree you need to study a "högskoleprogram" a degree program. Which requires certain qualifications depending on the program. To fulfill that you need to study in the "gymnasium" 3 years (you may call it collage/upper secondary/high school).

A Swedish student start when he/she is 6 or 7 years old then 9 years in "Grundskola" elementary school and with those three years in gymnasium, when by the time a student qualifies to university is 19 years old. Which my elder daughter did so and she will get her degree from Stockholm university year 2021. I was talking about programs not courses.