Dengue fever in Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu

From the beginning of this year to August 30, the province of Bà Rịa-Vũng Tàu has recorded 7,728 cases of dengue fever. 

The following month, the Preventive Medicine Center noticed an increase of 2,052 new cases in the province just for the first 25 days of September, bringing the number to 9,780 cases, of which 13 were serious and 5 were fatal.   

On the average, Bà Rịa Hospital receives 11 new cases of dengue fever every day, putting the availability of beds and the supply of HEC 200 in critical shortage.  (Bà Rịa is not the only hospital with this problem.  As the number of dengue fever cases reaching almost epidemic proportions across the Southern region, beds and meds are rare and rarer everywhere.)

Among our friends in VT, 2 adults have contracted dengue fever, but as their symptoms didn't include skin rash, even the person with 41° fever wasn't considered serious enough to justify a bed at Vietsovpetro.  They asked her to come in daily for treatment instead.

Mosquitos are a big problem all over Asia but a few simple measures can really reduce your chances of Dengue and Malaria.

If you go out evening /night:

Wear long trousers
Wear, if you don't boil, long sleeved shirts
ALWAYS use a mosquito repellent cream.
Watch out for low flying birds swooping and diving - They're eating mosquitos so you know where there are concentrations of the things.

Keeps door and windows closed as much as possible once the sun starts going down, and leave them closed until at least an hour after sunrise.

Sleep under a mosquito net if they find their way in and you can't stop them

When you leave for work in the mornings, give the house a good blast with insect killer. The smell has gone by the time you get home, but anything hiding in your house is dead.

Fred wrote:

If you go out evening /night:

The mosquito that spreads dengue fever is most active during daylight.

do you guys recommend a good mosquito repellent?

I noticed in ho chi min the air is so bad the mosquitos don't seem to be able to survive it , I saw very few and had zero bites in my 3 weeks there without any repellent at all.

Im going to da nang this time and worried there will be more there

Pls let me know, thanks

1willy1 wrote:

If you haven't left Canada yet, I recommend Badger, a natural product made of essential oils.  It comes in balm, spray, stick, with or without sunscreen. 

The company website shows their products are sold in 80 or so locations in Ontario if you don't want to order directly from them -- it's a family-owned company in New Hampshire, highly ethical people with excellent products which I've been using for 20+ years.

Here in VN, I make my own repellent with more or less the same essential oils as Badger products. 

If you don't mind putting DEET on your skin, then Soffell, which has 13% DEET, works very well as lotion or liquid spray and very inexpensive.  You can find it in supermarkets, convenience stores, pharmacies, general stores -- literally everywhere in Vietnam.

1willy1 wrote:

I noticed in ho chi min the air is so bad the mosquitos don't seem to be able to survive it , I saw very few and had zero bites in my 3 weeks there without any repellent at all.

Im going to da nang this time and worried there will be more there

Pls let me know, thanks

In Danang, as in most places, you only have to worry between sundown and sunup.

Last year the monsoon season started off pretty dry yet still windy, and I was having problems with a horde of black flies.

1willy1 wrote:

I had dengue last month - not fun.

Products containing DEET (diethyltoluamide) are your friends:
- Soffell (13%)
- Remos (15%).