Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Mauritius forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Last activity 18 December 2020 by skjoaheer

Anu B

Hi everyone,

I am Anu. I moved to Mauritius from India early this year. I am an educator. I have had both good and bad experiences till now. The island and its natural beauty is truly amazing. I am absolutely in love with people, culture and Mauritian food.

Unfortunately I am having some hard time getting a proper equivalence for my secondary school qualifications. The committee responsible for is National Equivalence Committee (NEC), MITD House.
I have been issued an inappropriate equivalence for my secondary school qualifications due to which I have suffered loss of several job opportunities as educator despite having a master degree.

I placed request for review at NEC but they seem to be ignoring my case as since last 3 months they have given me no update or answer. This is affecting my professional life.

If anyone here (especially Indian) can share the experience they had with NEC it might be of help to me.

Good time ahead everyone.

Tecsla Inc.LLC

Moderated by Diksha 4 years ago
Reason : The free promotion of your services is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Fred
Tecsla Inc.LLC wrote:

To be fair to expat.com forum members, you should mention you ask for personal contact in a lot of your posts and you are a commercial entity working as a property agent.

I will be honest, I think very little good about agents because my experiences have not been great, and you appear to be trying to harvest contacts by inviting private contact - The honesty of your requests have to be considered.

Of course, it's up to members if they decide to contact you or not, but honesty is essential in business, and you are raising red flags in that area.

Debradee

Good Morning
Thank you for accepting me in the group !

I am a South African citizen wanting to emigrate to Mauritius.

I am hoping to find work as a Carer  ( prefereably as a Live In Carer ).
Could anyone recommend an organisation/ company I could apply to for a career?

As a South African passport holder I will need a work visa - would an employer arrange this should I be successful in finding work ?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards
Debra

Emmanuel De Louise

Hello Every One,

It's a pleasure to join the community.

I have been on the island for 5 years now and to me Its a whole new world here.

Fresh beginnings and new daily discoveries makes me stronger and the endless possibilities keep me positive. 

I hope your stay here is as fruitful as mine.

God Bless you all.

b.sanjeev

Hello folks:

Sanjeev here, looking to relocate to Mauritius from India with my wife.
Ran a datacom business for 3 decades in Calcutta, trading office in Singapore
for few years before moving to Bangalore . Looking at options in Mauritius.
Fresh start smile.png

Its been interesting reading the posts here, nice community.

Have a good day
Sanjeev

Cheryl

Hello everyone,

Welcome to Emmanuel De Louise, DPJaco2188 and b.sanjeev  cheers.png

Thank you all for the presentation  up.png

For a start, I strongly recommend you to read the Living in Mauritius guide as there are several instructive articles that will help you to make your expat project a success.

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask them by creating a new thread on the Mauritius forumtop.png

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Olawunmi01

Hello I'm considering working and living in Mauritius and I'm looking forward to know more about the work environment. Any body with experience at all? Please feel free to DM thanks 🤗

Murado17

Hello, My name is Azeeza,
I recently finished at Middlesex University, i have been here for a few years I'm from Nigeria. still here due to the lockdown. I would not mind staying here if I can get a full-time job with a company. I paint, a mentor to young girls. Also, I hold a degree in Marketing.
I am also looking for information on flights to Nigeria if anyone knows

External
Murado17 wrote:

Hello, My name is Azeeza,

I am also looking for information on flights to Nigeria if anyone knows

Your only option thus far will be :

Mauritius - Dubai -Nigeria
https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e … e-network/

unless you can fly Air Mauritius to South Africa and then to Nigeria ( you will have to check with  carriers which fly between South Africa and Nigeria)

dcuniah

Hi everyone,

My name is Dharm, i'm from Vancouver, Canada and I am currently doing my quarentime at Victoria hotel, I'm in the cloud computing sector.

I am currently looking for a pickup, social friendship, meetup - sport - coffee.
I am interested in developing the tech sector in Mauritius.

Have a wonderful long weekend!
Cheers
Dharm

Eric-Moore

Hi Dharm,
How are you today?
Am a sport man and free to talk about IT business.

jillcoetzee

Morning All, I am a property valuer and commercial broker.  Property is my passion and look forward to working and meeting similar minded people on the island.  Thank you Jill Coetzee

dcuniah

Hi Eric,

Hope you are well and having a great long weekend, after my quarantine we go for a coffee and see from there.

Cheers
Dharm

Sleepthieves

Hi All,

I just saw a news article about Muaritius allowing long term VISAs for digital nomads. I've got a work from a laptop job and am highly considering moving to Mauritius for the USA winter. Joining the forum to check out all the details about staying there and working there. Looking forward to talking to everyone!

AlastairJ

Is this the Premium Travel Visa? It looks great as a Digital Nomad option... the EDB just posted all the details.

u9541526

Hi All,

I am Michael, we are a family of 2 adults with 3 kids and will be moving to Mauritius from Taiwan in December, we are all excited and looking forward to move to Mauritius.

Our kids are at the age of 12, 8 and 5, just wondering what will be the public school fee for each of them? Any public school information would be really appreciated.

Dave150176

Hi,

i am Dave and have moved to the island. i have a business here that rents out construction machinery. I am currently in quarantine and will look for a house when i am out in 10 days. I left South Africa to begin  a new chapter here. I am an avid golfer and i enjoy fishing. I will be living in Black River initially but then moving up to the North.

thanks for a great forum,

wynandvn

Hi Dave,
I am a member of Tamarina Golf Estate and the Expats play a competition once a month, normally the last Saturday in the month
I also play golf with the Tamarin Golf Club, a more French crowd who play competition on a Saturday in the middle of the month
I live in Tamarin and will be in Quarantine from 1 to15 December
I am a 16 handicap social golfer and maybe we can have a game together
Welcome in Mauritius
Wynand

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please exchange contact details through private messaging. Thank you.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Dave150176

Hi Wynand,

definitely, i will contact you on whatsapp.

Abhroy

Hi,

I am Abhirup, just moved to Mauritius one month ago. I am looking forward to meet people in the community and be a part of any events. Also I am very much interested in exploring the island and be a part of a hiking group.

HSalda

Hi there,

Just joined the expat.com community and looking to learn from all of those that have the knowledge and experience!

We are a young(ish) family of 5, moving to Mauritius from Sydney Australia.

Happy to connect.

Thanks.

Cheryl

Hello HSalda,

Welcome to Expat.com  cheers.png

For a start, I strongly recommend you to read the Living in Mauritius guide. There are some informative and very useful articles that will help you such as Formalities, Visas, Accommodation even Study in Mauritius and more.

Should you have any specific questions you would like to ask, do not hesitate to start a new thread on the Mauritius forum.   wink.png

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Ramelak

Thanks Diksha, and hello everyone.  Of Indian origin, I live in Botswana with my wife , 2 girls studying in SA. Been working as CFO for a multinational here for 20 years, and planning a move to Mauritius in 2021, subject to the great Covid situation.  I'm a CA by profession.  Wish to set up/join a business or  consultancy. Any one interested in partnering, or fell generous enough to advise me, all will be gratefully welcomed and considered. Thanks all, and God bless

skjoaheer

Hi Ramelak. Well...moving to Mauritius or any other country around the globe at the moment is quite bit of a precarious step. However, it feels go to see foreigners still trusting, making their way to Mauritius where for now we can say we are safe. So back to your concerns; I would say investing in settling a business in Mauritius is quite a good idea considering some of the benefits foreign investors can avail (specially the 5 years tax holiday). Relating to your expertise, I believe you can look in establishing an audit or accounting firm because these are in substantially  increasing demands as the SME business are rapidly evolving and growing. Yet, the drawbacks are directly and indirectly connected to the Covid pandemic where business opportunities have shrunk. Nonetheless, if you still share a broader vision, the brighter side is that Mauritius has a proven political stability, an impressive track record of recognized economic rankings and indices, and a steady economic growth for several decades. And not to forget it being the most liberalized country on the African continent and the most business friendly. I'm sure your wife and kids will relish the quality lifestyle Mauritius offers. You might come across opportunities in disguise if you focus on the right hunt. As far as partnering is concerned, we can stay connected and talk around someday cause am always open to expanding in business affairs and will surely share more to help you moving in place.

skjoaheer

Hi Anu. I was going through the forum discussion and saw your concerns about the hurdles you going through trying to settle with a proper academic recognition. And here, I really hope you've been able to sort it out. If not, I would suggest you to get in touch with the Higher Education Commission (HEC) who will help you with all the proceedings and eventually you'll have to send your request for credentials assessment to the Mauritius Qualification Authority (MQA) and the National Equivalence Council (NEC). Some of the initiatives can be communicated through emails. Try to ring them and see. If ever, you'll need further help trying to getting in touch, do leave me a message here and I'll see how I can be of help.

Julien

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916025

Thanks!

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Mauritius

• Driver's licence in Mauritius
    Driver's licence in Mauritius

Mauritius has a well-developed public transport network, although the frequency and working hours might not work ...

• Banking services in Mauritius
    Banking services in Mauritius

Opening a bank account in Mauritius can help you in many ways, including receiving your salary, paying your ...

• Emergency numbers in Mauritius
    Emergency numbers in Mauritius

The list below contains emergency numbers in Mauritius, should you be in need for assistance at any ...

• The health system in Mauritius
    The health system in Mauritius

Health is a major issue when moving abroad. Are expats eligible for the Mauritian health system? What are the ...

• Recommended doctors in Mauritius
    Recommended doctors in Mauritius

You might be needing medical assistance during your stay in Mauritius. Expat.com provides you with a list of ...

• Study in Mauritius
    Study in Mauritius

Mauritius is becoming a higher education hub for the region as it offers a great deal of options. Most Mauritian ...

• Buying a property in Mauritius
    Buying a property in Mauritius

The Economic Development Board reminds us that any non-citizen, whether an individual or an investor, is allowed ...

• Education in Mauritius
    Education in Mauritius

The Mauritian school system is based on the Anglo-Saxon model and is divided, as is often the case elsewhere, into ...

All of Mauritius's guide articles