Menu
Expat.com

Adopting a pet in India

Last activity 10 February 2020 by Cathmandu

Loïc

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in India.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in India?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in India?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in India? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Cathmandu

I adopted a cat back in 2004.

For a US citizen it is quite easy and relatively inexpensive.

The only requirements US customs has is a rabies vaccination must be current and been given at least 30 days before travel.

The cost of an airline approved crate and the passage fee for the pet are the biggest expenses.

Some US airline companies and Others allow pets under 15 pounds to travel in cabin in a soft pet carrier bag. This takes research, planning and training for both your pet to be comfortable and as not to disturb those sitting around you.

Research carefully the track record of any airline if you choose to check the pet in cargo.

I travel regularly with my dog from the US between Nepal, India, and the US. She’s 15 pounds and travels in the cabin.

I also used to travel regularly with my cat, 38 pound dog, and my 15 pound dog. It was quite a scene, hard to imagine and one time in my life traveling with three pets was my normal.

My cat traveled from India to the US, never returned with me. She did travel several times a year to South America.

I can’t vouch for other countries but I’ve found it quite simple to travel from India to the US.

There are organizations that send adopted dogs from India to the US and Canada. Dharamsala Animal Rescue is one of them, if you’re in that area and need advice.

My India rescue cat was absolutely amazing, an excellent traveler, and quite a character. Friends have adopted dogs and brought them back to the US and found them to be wonderful, loyal companions.

Best of luck to those kind hearted souls who decide to adopt a pet here.

Articles to help you in your expat project in India

All of India's guide articles