Loneliness when you're abroad

Welcome to Dubai Jaci

I really understand your words cos I felt the same when I arrived here.
It was not from a long time but anyway by time you will know new people and will have new friends
Sometimes they are not good and some times they are wonderful.
Anyway what's your profession here?

jaci7 wrote:

loneliness is not a good feeling,i ve been in dubai for months now and still feel that way. the only people i have contact with are my colleagues.i come from a large family and am finding it difficult to get used to the being alone.
Am trying to make friends but its not easy

Hey Violets, ussualy after a while loneliness and homesick get cured after a year away, thats what I have experienced lol
So by now it should be gone?

As a mother and grandmother, I find that I miss my family very much.  This emotion is a form of lonliness and is the only bad thing about being an expat.  I am sure many other expats can empathize with these feelings.
Although we are very lucky to have such things as Skype, there is no substitute for cuddling your young gandchildren in your arms and having a laugh with your children.
Having said that, I love my life in Bulgaria and moving here was one of the best descisions I've made.  I love my garden, home and village.  I have many friends, British and Bulgarian and life here would be perfect if I could have my family here as well.
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

tough one to deal with as we are all individuals....and such...

When i came back to work. after 25 days leave, the first days were like in hell, i was all alone in the guest house nobody to talk and was missing my family a lot.
because of loneliness i had finally decided on second day to resign from job and go back but gradually after 3-4 days i got busy in work.
if you are busy you will not feel much loneliness. in the evening as i am working in the middle of nowhere i watch movies saved in my laptop.

Julien wrote:

Do you often feel lonely when you're abroad?

I personaly suffered on week ends while I was in the UK. Even if I had several friends, I often missed my family and friends (from home). So I walked, visited museum, went to concerts, worked more... What about you?

What are you doing when you feel lonely?

@Julien:..just wana sharing about loliness way out..i also feel the same thing like u do..i think it's beetr for you to visit beach,beautiful places...my places is full of beach..nice place to visit

Armand wrote:

Hi SantJago and welcome to the forum SantJago!

So the bottle is likely to be your friend ? :|

Armand

Hi armand...where are you now...??it's say that u live in Bali?

Julien wrote:

I personaly suffered on week ends while I was in the UK. Even if I had several friends, I often missed my family and friends (from home). So I walked, visited museum, went to concerts, worked more... What about you?

What are you doing when you feel lonely?

i usually go to beah when iam lonely....and practicing Band with my buddies....iam palning to go Bali..someday...i think you should be in the ebcah ..it's able to reduce your loneliness..:)

onadieo wrote:

i usually go to beah when iam lonely....and practicing Band with my buddies....iam palning to go Bali..someday...i think you should be in the ebcah ..it's able to reduce your loneliness..:)

when alone, I'd rather hang out with friends ..
I also love the beach, as I did last week, two weeks in Bali and very enjoyable

[Moderated: Off topic]

petitecherie wrote:
onadieo wrote:

@ Petitcheri...ehm...i think you are nice girl to share..and talking many hings..to share about lomelines..and about abroad..can i have your FB..or phone number..?coz its so hard to find you open this site.and i dont know when you join here....it might by sending message or by calling..will make us can talk longer...:)

petitecherie wrote:
onadieo wrote:

ya..that's godd way too..by hanging out..we can get many thigs from our friends...im my place there are so many beachs..and beautiful..but i can not do surving,like in the Bali...what did u do in Bali ...??invite me plisss...when you wanna go Bali again.../?:)...i dont have friend to go there..:)

onadieo wrote:

@ Petitcheri...ehm...i think you are nice girl to share..and talking many hings..to share about lomelines..and about abroad..can i have your FB..or phone number..?coz its so hard to find you open this site.and i dont know when you join here....it might by sending message or by calling..will make us can talk longer...:)

hello onadieo,

I actually prefer the pleasant situation than to be alone, because life is beautiful and we have to look forward. if you live in belgium? if so, where you usually hang out?

I have been missing home for a while...especially now that I have my own family. My sisters haven't met my baby yet and weren't able to come to our wedding. These are times you would like to spend with your family, and this is when I missed them the most.
I am going home soon though...after almost two years ! I am pretty excited !
What I do when I miss home: listen to French music and watch French movies, chat on Skype, and on the phone with family and friends. Or I cry. lol

Coming to the US was a dream, but living here not so... the loneliness is killing me softly so to speak. People are friendly but very flaky. Haven't made any real friends, it's been almost 2 years now. I was so outgoing now I just find myself watching TV all day :( on weekends... Hoping for change soon. I miss home but I wish it could work out here because I need to be here for my education... :/

Julien wrote:

No, quite the opposite! I feel lonely here in the United States but once I'm overseas and traveling I always have lots of interesting people to talk to. In fact, when I was a young man I lived out of a backpack for about six years while traveling around the world and those years were the best years of my life.

I'm going to retire early next year and do some serious traveling again before settling down somewhere in Latin America.

Hi!!

yes it may happens, even if we do a lot to meet new people!

When i get bored or feel alone, I do need to do sport!it is vital!or have a walk...if i stay at home it is worst!
and it is a good idea how to meet people when we are in a bad mood, or feel alone...

where do you leave now?

Have a nice evening!

Cécile

Feeling lonely is normal for an expat as we are away from family. You may have lot of friends and travel a lot but it can never compensate the love of a family. I personally find life superficial and self-centered. what's the purpose of having children,love them, get used to them then once grown up they leave you sowhere far away. I love you Mum & Dad & brothers and i feel so sad to be far away from you. Life sometimes is cruel.

Hello,

I'm ada from Philippines and I am now here in UAE for good. Its been almost half year since i left my country and still its very hard for me to avoid loneliness. I have a lot of new found friends here already but still I always longing to go home. :(

I just hope and pray that my boyfriend will change his mind and will live together with me here :).

When i feel loneliness i do some exercise and listen music.

it's crazy when you live alone and feel lonely with no good friends or people with same chemistry not close to you . I experienced this many times but i am not sure  times goes on so fast even you don't do any thing :(

im from nairobi kenya, im indian born in kenya and lived here all my life. its a fun place soo many people here. have u ever come to nirobi

I wish i can tour some african places and see wild life there :)) It's  nice to see Indian's all over so any where we go , we always get butter naan and butter chicken :)) jk

I lived major part of my life abroad with family.But for the last 3 months i am alone. Doctors advised me to give company of your family to my psychology ailing son but now i am alone. On weekends i prefer to go inside Redsea for boating, fishing etc.  I need good friends for chatt. thks

if you dont have company u can come to me, I always welcome friends... Yeah kenya is a fab place fud is delicious hea. :) its fun but its still lonely wn u alone.. So wn u all coming?? lets remove our lonelynes n hv sum fun :)

hi . how r u . i saud indian working in oman and my gmail   is

saudalkhuwair at gmail dot come

my mobile is 93137842  and sms me

When you feel lonely. You should looking for someone to chat

I agree with Cao. There are a lot of people where you are and other places in the world who are lonely or who just want to connect with someone else. Reach out to them, learn about their lives. Its sometimes helpful just to get outside of your own consciousness. :)

loneliness can kill you know?

When I traveled to Korea second time for traveling,3 years ago, I felt lonely and that's why I joined couch surfing. It helped me a lot. I made many friends, I joined the meet up events, met with other expats. talked until dawn. That's the best way to overcome the loneliness.

When I get ill I miss my family, I miss my mother's soup and the way she says "You'll get better soon".

Well, all gents and even ladies in here talking about this topic, for the gents try being a woman in saudi, and for the ladies if you haven't been there forget about going specially if you do not have your husband with you. I was in middle east for almost 5 years and i can count between my fingers and my toes that i have been out and before we even could come out we have to have a proper paper from our employer that we are going out and mind you that includes shopping including food. Do not wonder you might say maybe sometimes we are not eating because we seldom go out, nope, we can make a list and somebody the driver of the company probably will buy it for us or we always take turns in going out as you cannot go out always every time they give us permission so in this case we ask our colleague to buy it for us. Where i live and where i work is just a short distance maybe 5 to 10 minute walk as we can even see the building but hey we have a bus to take us to and fro. If you happen to have a husband though as you will be living in different accomodation is different as you can go out as long as you have your husband with you not just any man as they will also ask a paper to prove that you are both husband and wife however if you are single then that is difficult like when i was there. And another thing our main door and the gate is always locked. Yes indeed, we are like a prisoner. In fairness though some places there are not soo strict but where i was is different. Some countries in middle east though is open like in qatar, i was there as well for about 4 years but we do not have that kind of problem, dubai as well is open country so it is not so much a problem to foreigners. Luckily i am now in england and i got all the freedom but i am not outgoing person anyway but at least i do not feel like a prisoner. So guys, would you want to be a single lady and go there and experience what most single ladies in saudi had? In fairness to the people in saudi though we cannot blame them as this is their customs and tradition and that is their country so we cannot complain but i am just saying this for the sake of this topic. No offence to the people of saudi.

I was in Philippines for over a year and never had a dull moment, there was always some thing to do or explore the country.

I get lonely when i traveling alone for business after my work is done. Only option is to do some Sightseeing.

I'm never lonely, except when I'm alone, but I'm never alone, because I have my son.  I'm never bored, except when I have nothing to do, which is basically never, because I always have something to do, and I can't even get everything done that needs to be done (at least not on time).
However, when I was young and single and abroad, I would just get out there and explore.  That's the advantage of living in a foreign country, everything is new to you.  Just start walking around, see what you can find.  (However, if you are a woman, I'd not do it alone and at night).

I think you have the best idea i do about the same and it works for me too.

David1946

nice subject here.

I do get lonely from time to time and find nothing to do, but then I'm a gamer so I always find a game to play and forget the lonesome for a while. I wish to make friends so I can get a bit busy ^^

I pretty much got used to be alone in fact i just enjoy every minute of it because i get to meditate and think about life and things along this lines...

Sometimes being lonely is good so you can meditate and think about your life.

i am planning to get a new bike even though the process is tedious .lot of documentation but for a guy , the bullet/royal enfield or  HARLEY is the best options to gauge anything and everything about that place . get a vehicle and explore the country guys when ur free of course or on a weekend .

i'm lucky because I shared a house with friends and other people we comefrom the same country but I did still miss my familly and other friends. I used to share with them any information on facebook.

Succeed in your expat family project with advice from other expats

OR