Residencia - 2020 - How to get it done.

My residencia is family reunification type as my wife is dominican.  We had a DR bank account but in dollars. They told us it has to be in pesos and they wanted 300k and some change (per conversation with immigration dept). We then had to convert dollars to pesos (open pesos account) and show documentation of the conversation and transfer.  80$ insurance is for a year and it sounds like a emergency type insurance in case u get into an accident or get deported.  Basically covers govt from expenses if something happends to u.

@Rajko85 Did you need a lawyer to help with the process?

GRAWUKU,

Don't even think about it……. Lawyer up !
For any/all newer members of Expat.com:

You are no doubt noticing the trend of "more senior" members of expat.com (those that have been around the forums the longest, and/or have a lot of expat and/or DR experience) are pretty universal in recommending Lishali Baez as your immigracion abrogada (immigration attorney/lawyer). 

There's several reasons for that:
  • Some of us were burned via initial experiences with other lawyers, some of whom came reasonably-well recommended.   Then (as for my wife and I) we found expat.com and the DR forums, and took planner's and other's recommendations for a bright young abrogada named Lishali...and gave her a try.  Again, I don't want to repeat prior posts...but we were treated brutally by some parts of the Ministry, apparently with intent to either prevent our residencia, or to make us pay through the teeth for it.   
  • Some were lucky enough to find Lishali from the get-go, and simply had a smooth and efficient process.   Whether that came from recommendations at Expat.com or via seeing ads for Lishali, both have resulted in very happy clients.    Please note that Lishali does VERY little advertising these days.  Nearly all of her customers come via personal or organizational referrals. 
  • Some of the larger expat orgs, such as LIOS, and some of the more boutique expat orgs, such as SovereignMan, have recruited Lishali as their primary recommended contact for an immigration attorney.   Lishali and her firm have quickly become the most-recommended and, in my opinion, most reliable immigration-focused legal outfit in the DR.
What it comes down to, for me, is this:
  • Lishali rescued our nearly-dead residencia application from the grave (as our previous (terminated) attorney seemed to have unfavorable comments about us within the Ministry. 
  • Ours was one of the almost-completed applications that were put in the pending file in 2020 when the COVID closures started.  That certainly wasn't Lishali's fault.  However, when the process restarted, the Ministry tried to force us into an expensive reapplication process -- nearly starting from scratch all over again -- claiming that we had now passed all of the timelines for the residencia.  I won't go into details here, but Lishali's connections and contacts within the Ministry, saved us at least $2000 in government re-application fees/costs/whatever...not to mention that she saved us at least two extra trips to the DR to resurrect our package.  As we come from remote rural Idaho, that is AT LEAST $1500 x 2 persons = $3000 per trip x 2 trips = $6,000 saved IN TRAVEL  COSTS ALONE that Lishali saved us. 
  • Most lawyers would have just smiled and done as the Ministry instructed our abrogada to do with our applications.   LISHALI DID NOT.  She takes seriously her role as a protectress of her client's interests...something which with a little research you'll find is a rare thing for most immigration lawyers in the DR, even in the big firms.   LISHALI RISKED HER OWN RELATIONSHIP WITH THE MINISTRY TO PROTECT US, HER CLIENTS -- AND SHE SUCCEEDED BRILLIANTLY!!!   Our residencies applications were approved immediately, with the only requirement that we had to travel within 60 days to get our packages formalized and be issued our cedula and residency cards.  (Which we would have had to do anyway, and had planned for.)   
  • Thus, Lishali's sterling integrity, in my mind, makes her worth considerably more than whatever her current rates might be.  SHE IS YOUR ATTORNEY, not the Ministry's remote worker. 
  • Don't get me wrong -- her integrity works both ways. If you simply aren't going to be approved by the Ministry for a solid reason, Lishali will tell you that, quite bluntly.  She does stand up for the DR and its Immigracion Ministry and the country's standards for immigration.  She doesn't take on dicey clients.  But as long as you are dealing honestly and straightforward with your application, she will protect you and your interests.   
I must point out that neither I, nor any of other expat received ANY referral fees for recommending Lishali.  Not a dime.  Whether you choose her as your lawyer is up to you, 100%

But, knowing that NONE of us on expat.com are getting any "propina" for recommending this fine young lawyer, you might consider exactly why it is that SO MANY OF US consistently recommend Lishali?  Or why someone like myself, would take so much time to write such a lengthy post (or posts) to recommend Lishali Baez as your immigration lawyer?

And here's the answer to that question:  Because we, the veteran expats that have been through the immigration merry-go-round more than a few times, and we want to spare other, newer expats the pain, frustration and costs that we had to endure.

Now, let me be clear:  The strong odds are that with Lishali handling your application, you will have ZERO issues, MINIMAL frustration and get an approval as fast as anyone can expect...given that the Ministry is still very much a moving target and work in progress.   You'll simply get your application approved, with neither fuss nor muss.

But, if you're one of the unlucky folks who end up on the wrong end of the Ministry's processes and procedures and bureaucracy (as we found ourselves)...Lishali is the lawyer you want to have on your side.

Let me boil it down to this for all you newbies:   Spend your money as YOU see fit.  Hire a lawyer, or not, as YOU see fit.   It's your money, we're not making you hire anyone. 
  • Indeed, if you are conversant in Spanish, you probably CAN negotiate the residencia process yourself and save some money...if you have the time to wander through the byzantine process and feel like a ping pong ball as you bounce from office to office.   Will it really be worth it?   (Understanding that some simply don't have the money and thus don't have the option of even hiring a lawyers, and must do it themselves.)
  • You should have observed by now, however, that any time you ask a question EVEN IN THIS THREAD about HOW to do "such-and-such" for residencia, you get a plethora of quite different answers...from the very expats that have been through the process and/or are going through the process RIGHT NOW.  Just for instance: how much is required to have on deposit in your DR bank account, for your residencia application???  I've read at least 12 different answers in this thread, none quite the same.  If there's this much divergence on what is or isn't required among folks who've recently been through the process...what do you think the odds are of your getting the right answer when you're at the window at the Ministry??? 

My recommendations, and I think those of many other "senior" members in this forum, are simply trying to give you the best advice we can to help you save money, maximize approval speed, and minimize your frustrations. 

That's all there is.  'nuff said.

Respectfully,

Jim
ExpatRusher
We had some help with part one (part you start in your own country), my wife did second part (all the local stuff when we arrived to DR on my visa). Its a lot of paperwork and headaches.  She works immigration in USA and according to her DR is terrible and more complicated then to get a USA green card. Biggest issue is the redundancy of paperwork and everything needs apostille (apostille needs apostille pretty much..). Plus they want to keep all your original documents to include birth certificate (so i am from Europe and would need to go back there to get an original once again). Most of the process is about $$$
My recommendation if u dont habla and have no one in DR to lean on is to get a lawyer. We did speak to mentioned lawyer (lishali) but did not use her as we choose to try it ourselves.  She is very responsive and answered questions when we reached out to her about basic requirements and her fees. Process is still not done but i hope we prevail.
I agree. I also use her for other legal issues as well!  Power of attorney, wills, real estate transactions etc can be done with her! 
Another update for residencia 2022 for myself.  On may 17th i had my appointment and all of the paperwork was turned it (medical as well). On july 7 or 8th i got my approval and appointment for july 25th to finish the process and get my cedula. They advised 90 to 120 days, mine was approved with apt set in 67 days (family reunification method). I will update if anything else of significance happens.  Tks and good luck to anyone in the process.
I am a former servicemember of the US Army. I receive $1.5k/month. My wife is a Twitch streamer and she brings in $600-1000/month. Would this not qualify us for residency?
@ExpatRusher
That was perfectly said. My experience was during covid also.  I am sure that without Lishali I would not be here. For me she is one word.  AMAZING.
@spicystapler  no this is not enough for both of you to qualify.  A retiree couple needs 1750 in retirement income to qualify.  Your wife's income is earned income and doesn't qualify.

There may be a workaround and I suggest contacting Lishali Baez directly +1 809-860-1231

We are just starting to renew our Temporary Residency again, doing it ourselves as it is easy enough.  The wall we hit today is that our repatriation insurance is still valid, so we're not able to purchase a new policy to satisfy the requirements of DGM.  Anybody run into this and find a solution?  My email has currently been escalated, with the answer that we have an active policy until Oct 11, 2021 (I'm hoping it was a mistake and they mean 2022), but this won't cut it when our renewals need to be submitted.

WHen I was trying to renew, prior to expirey of anything, and after hitting roadblocks trying to do it online, I went right to SD.  When it came to the insurance I had alread gone to the Banreserva in Moca and purchased - no problem. When in SD at Immigration they sent me to the branch at the rear door where they printed off the policy no problem. Therefore, I think someone doesn't know what they are doing - if you are trying to do it all online!!

@2VPsoldier thanks, that will likely be my solution as well, but I'll at least know to ask them to print out the confirmation.

10Yr Residency

My wife just did this... this morning

9am at Migracion.....residency & cedula done by 11am....

We sent all the paperwork to the lawyer in advance and just showed up for the final chapter

Pretty easy.........

Lily was wonderful

Wow that is great.

@WillieWeb

how much were the expenses all together?

Lawyer was US$800

and the RD charges were 20,000 residency &15,000 cedula

From my understanding most the posts here are people doing it in RD. If your respective country has an embassy they offer doing them there as well. In Toronto Canada when I looked into it last year it was 600 USD - it's easier if you have a Dominican spouse, but I went in for an appointment/ free consult it was a one page document with their requests etc it wasn't that bad. I forget the specifics if they take your passport and other birth information or not..

These are renewals we're talking here.....not the initiation of residency.

Initially, you start in your home country = Yes

After that, renewals are done in country = RD

T.DRR you are  confusing issues.   You start in your home country and get the RESIDENCY VISA!  That is only the first step.  US 600 sounds about right.  THEN you come to the DR with all your paperwork and your residency visa and then you APPLY HERE for residencia. That is more money and it is not all that simple! For some - yes they can do it themselves - for most it is better to get the assistance of a good lawyer!

FOR those posting about RENEWAL please do not do so here.   Renewal is different!  There are threads about renewal of residency!

I take great pleasure to announce another successful case by Lishali.  I just receive the residency card and cedula this weekend.  I evaluate her services based on competence, honesty, reliability, efficiency, and knowledge.  For those of you who are still undecided about who you want to handle your immigration matters in the DR and don't want to waste your money, I strongly recommend Lishali Baez.  She is on point at all times on immigration issues and changes.  Most of you know if you are diagnosed with any type of cancer to see an oncologist.  It is the same for immigration.  Go with someone with a very good reputation in that field.  Thank you Lishali for a job well done!!!

Unfortunately, I had not joined this forum in time to learn about Lishali. I had the worst lawyer who made this experience of getting my residency an absolute nightmare!!! I finally got it yesterday after exactly 1 year of starting the paperwork. We ended up doing the last part…in this country…on our own because we couldn't deal with her any longer. So putting this out there so nobody else goes through the same nightmare that I did….DO NOT USE: Lic. Miguelina Rodríguez, Abogada, Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom.

I am sorry you had that experience. I have actually heard of her!

Glad you got residency though!!!!

I finally got through the thread, lot of info here. I kept hearing new government coming... is it better or worse now? Seems the immigration policies are the same. I don't hear the change in the wind for snowbirds!

Nothing really has changed other than it's harder to cut the line so to speak!

Question: Does each resident get the duty free one time import? My husband can qualify now with his rental income, and would like the option to legally stay longer than 30 days. I will qualify (or we both could) on my pension that I will get in a few years. Until then, I would not plan to overstay as my job would have me flying back and forth from DR. Has anyone had this expetience?

Yes, each resident..... e.g. you could each bring a car.

Two containers, etc..... I regret not doing that.... we came in as one

Yes, if you both qualify individually, you should be able to bring in two.

@planner can you say a bit more about how you expect the upcoming elections to change everything is one party considerably more pro immigration than the other ? Is the disparity great enough so that if I plan to do it in 2 to 3 years I need to do it within the next year instead ? Thank you so much !!!

@ExpatRusher thanks for this information and more than likely I will contact her. I to am looking to get my first temp residence.

Mine is a little more complicated. I live in the DR now and retired for 4 years. I have over 20 years established banking, credit with bank, health insurance, other credit, house, but still on a expired tourist visa

So, I started the process of getting FBI Background, oppostile documents, SSA oppostile, etc

I did not realize the laws changed about 8 years ago and now need to apply in the DR embassy in Miami , my old address,

This is where it gets a little complicated and trying to work through that. I have had conversations with Miami, and got some approvals for some work around.

This sounds like a lawyer I should call

As far as  when to apply Mark, I did my residency in 2008..... much easier than today

Better the devil you know ..... is my idea

Why wait? If you have reason to - OK..... if not.... ???

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 did you do your FBI fingerprints while in DR?

@carolmarchena yes  , I went to the DR police palace, SSQ and they took them on the USA FBI authorized template which I received and FedEx to the FBI processing center

@planner can you say a bit more about how you expect the upcoming elections to change everything is one party considerably more pro immigration than the other ? Is the disparity great enough so that if I plan to do it in 2 to 3 years I need to do it within the next year instead ? Thank you so much !!!
-@Mark Mclaurin

Our next elections are over a year away still.  Currently it looks like this government will return to power. That is me, who is NOT and insider, making that guess. 

Even if things changed I cannot see anything in the wind to change the residency process. 

I could see some changes coming for tourism visas, maybe some longer term visas. And again that might just be wishful thinking.

Ok, so we are movi g ahead with my husband's residency. I have sent Lishali (?) a dm a couple times and have not heard back. Are there any EU citizens with a recommendation for an immigration lawyer?

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56 did you ordered the template and received via mail or did you download- and if so what type of paper did you use?  I went to the FBI portal and I do see the template. 

THANK YOU AGAIN- my spouse ( I'm doing family reunification as well, )he  is facing a difficulty process due to Dept of immigration negligence

Ok, so we are movi g ahead with my husband's residency. I have sent Lishali (?) a dm a couple times and have not heard back. Are there any EU citizens with a recommendation for an immigration lawyer?
-@brodies2013

I will message you for contact information as Lishali rarely checks the DM here. She is very responsive to email and WhatsApp.

@carolmarchena

I actually ordered mine online , I wanted it to be the actually paper thickness and offical and had it delivered to my miami address and then forwarded here.

I have used mailbox etc MBE.DO to have all my USA mail sent here.

I then went to the police headquarters in Santo Domingo to have the prints taken. It is free of charge but it helps to tip them. I recommend having if you are not a dominican to help with that process. You will tell them you need USA FBI figure prints taken for DR recedencey.

2. I have been lucky enough to have friends and family take my papers back to the states and send via priority US mail from the states.

3. FEDEX or UPS from the DR is very expensive it's about 75US for 1 pound under envelope. Versus 10 bucks.

@planner

Lishali is awesome. She helped me to get my cedula back in December. I definitely recommend her.