Residencia - 2020 - How to get it done.

Planner yep nailed it!

@Gcjackson2277

Any update?

For any one else how long has it been recently for approval in starting country consulate?

It took from July 7 until last week to get approval (almost a full 12 months by the time we get that visa in our passports.

Our paperwork was tied up in the Chicago consulate because the new system could not scan 2 of our documents properly - when the scan arrived in the DR, it did not show the apostille stamp.

After 8 months of me complaining about the time it was taking, they finally got an IT guy to fix the scanning issue - then it was hung up because the "file was too large to send" - so another IT tech had to make their system capabilities larger so my file could be sent as 1 file.

We pick up the visa on June 20 (the consulate guy were working with is gone on vacation for most of June) -- We found their attitude at the consulate more of Incompetence and and it doesn't matter to them if it gets done or not -- but this lengthy delay is very financially costly.

Im paying for storage for all our household goods back in the US while the paperwork sits on someones desk (12 months) .

we are living down here in the DR this entire time, so we ended up buying a lot of things that are in storage waiting on permission to go into a container - some furniture, refrig, clothes washer, clothes, mattresses .....and now we need to sell or give those items away after our stuff arrives.

but its approved finally and the container is scheduled to be loaded in the next few weeks - YAY

@Bigskydomes

You did not have an issue with paper work expiring?

but its approved finally and the container is scheduled to be loaded in the next few weeks - YAY

-@Bigskydomes

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but if you are just now getting your Visa, don't be so quick to load your container! After you get your Visa, you have to then apply for your Residencia at Migracion and have that approved (2-3 months, typically) in order to get your Aduanas exoneration.

I think the delay was the visa and after things went smoothly

@DominicanadaMike

Correct, report from the FBI is required by the Dominican Government aside from a report from the police dept from the city you reside in which ever state you live in

@DominicanadaMike
Correct, report from the FBI is required by the Dominican Government aside from a report from the police dept from the city you reside in which ever state you live in

-@om2252001

Our village doesn't have a police department, would they accept a report from the state police?

I don't think police report is required for USA citzen only FBI and has a 9 month validity time frame. However, could have changed lawyer or legal advise recommend to confirm

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

what are they looking for on the fbi report. what will make them say , its ok or not ok?

thanks

@brandonleverett

Your FBI report will show any state charges or convictions.

However, I personally cannot answer what DGM will be looking for or approving on your FBI. I am not a lawyer and I have a feeling on what the are looking for but would not want to post.

Why I recommend seeking DR legal advise/lawyer.

@CHRISTOPHER DAVID56

thank you sir, I notice that you ALWAYS respond and are helpful on this forum. I appreciate that Chris! Thank you!

@planner

We're starting a new thread on applying for residency, with help from our resident lawyer, Lishali. We'll cover:

Who Qualifies: Eligibility criteria for residency.

First Steps: What to do in your home country before applying.

Residency Visa Application: Required documents and the application process.

Arriving in the Dominican Republic: Steps to take once you arrive.

Lishali will provide detailed guidance, and we'll keep the information as concise as possible.

@arianora337 You're in very capable hands with Lily! She's the best!

Awesome! Thank you very much.  Current experience is very relevant and welcome.

Yes in my experience Lishali is amazing.

I have been researching this and I was told by someone that the process can be started here in the RD by the attorney if they know what they are doing. 

@taccj9903 I guess it depends on exactly what they mean! Be wary of any attorney who tells you it can be done from here! There are quite a few attorneys (or people with questionable credentials claiming to be attorneys) who will tell you whatever they think you want to hear just to get your money. In other threads, you will find several stories of people being ripped off by some who appear to be legit, with flashy websites, affiliation with quite a few real estate companies, and more. We spoke with a couple of those and, fortunately, had done enough research to know they weren't being open and honest about the process.

You can start the process of gathering information and documents from here (especially if you have someone in the US to receive them for you), but to receive your residencia visa (first step) you have to submit your application to the consulate in your home country and then you have to enter DR with the Visa in your passport.

You can't go wrong with Lishali Baez! We used her for our initial residency and two renewals so far!

@ddmcghee Thanks.  I follow a guy on Instragram and YouTube who lives in Punta Cana with his wife and kids, he is the one who said his lawyer was able to start the process for him inside of RD.  His name is Jamie Gruber, he might even be on this forum. 

A YouTube video guy said so, it must be true.

The lawyer who processes hundreds of residencia applications says it's not legal. First time residency must be started from your home country including the issuance in your passport of a residency visa.

@taccj9903 One thing to know is that there are two completely different agencies involved! Residency Visas are issued by the Consulates (like US State Department) in your home country. Once they have issued you a Residency Visa, you are then allowed to enter the DR and apply with the Direccion General de Migracion (like US Homeland Security) for your residency. You cannot bypass the Visa step, and you can't be given a Visa from within the DR.

Trust us, you cannot believe half of what you hear! Our attorney, Lishali Baez, was hired before we went to the Consulate in Washington. She provided us with a checklist, reviewed our application and all documents to make sure we had our ducks in a row, and provided a sample medical letter so we knew what to ask our doctor for. She then picked up the ball once we had our Visas in our passports, submitting all of our documentation to Migracion, making our appointment, and holding our hands through the entire process.

There is an American attorney in Las Terrenas who evidently brags about connections to the US State Department, somehow implying that those connections put him at an advantage over Dominican attorneys. That's BS! The US State Department has nothing to do with getting a Dominican visa or residency, beyond apostilles on federally-issued documents. One friend fell for this guy's spiel and ended up taking bad advice from him about when she could ship her container duty-free, and it cost her a lot of money! She also had to hire Lishali to finish her residency.

Don't hire anyone unless you have gotten personal recommendations - not that someone heard this person was good. Talk to people who actually hired an attorney and had a positive outcome!

Hi all!

I am American, married to a Dominican Citizen and we are applying for his US spousal Visa and my DR Residency since we live in DR - Residencia via Family Reunification. (I've been here 4 years and am tired of paying overstay fees at airport and would like to finally have a cedula for convenience).

Im here in the US and I've already submitted the documents applied for the visa at the Dominican Consulate here in Florida.

Once I arrive back in DR with my visa - what do I do? Go to DGM within 60 days of arrival? The lady at the Consulate said I bring all the same documents to the capital but didn't know where and if I need an appt.

Can anyone who has been through this process give some clear steps since I can't seem to find a clear answer online? DGM.. appt needed? Medical exam... interview?

Thank you so much!

@Gylla

Hi, I would highly recommend seeking legal advise for the 2nd part of the process here in the DR

All approved, translated and appostile documents must be uploaded via the DGM portal and to begin the process.

https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicios/residence/

@planner
We're starting a new thread on applying for residency, with help from our resident lawyer, Lishali. We'll cover:
Who Qualifies: Eligibility criteria for residency.
First Steps: What to do in your home country before applying.
Residency Visa Application: Required documents and the application process.
Arriving in the Dominican Republic: Steps to take once you arrive.
Lishali will provide detailed guidance, and we'll keep the information as concise as possible.

-@arianora337

Please reach out to me so I can coordinate this appropriately.

Hello Everyone!

In an effort to keep the expat community informed and updated, I want to let everyone know that, it is official!  The owners of properties with CONFOTUR are elegible to an investor residence visa in the Dom. Rep., and an investment residency status.

For this, it will be taken into account:

1- That the property has been effectively transferred to your name,

2- That you be the first purchaser of the property with active CONFOTUR;

3- More importantly, the price is not relevant if the property has CONFOTUR. If the property has CONFOTUR you are elegible for an investment visa even if the price wasn' US$200,000.00 plus.

Evidently, the rest of the requirements to apply for visa and residency remain valid.

If any of you reading this post have questions, please feel free to reach out:

Thank you!

Lishali

Moderated by Bhavna last month
Reason : Your contact details should not be posted on the forum. Please share your contact details in private or register in the Dominican Republic business directory
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Thank you Lishali