What can I get free or discounted when I'm 60 or above....???

Tempus fugit.

I'm approaching 60 years old and I'm wondering what useful things I can get for free or at a discount here in Hungary.

From most information I have seen to date, if you are not a Hungarian citizen... Not much.

I have read (not confirmed) you can use your spouse's discount in some cases (if they are in the correct age bracket). But, again, that is not confirmed.

klsallee wrote:

From most information I have seen to date, if you are not a Hungarian citizen... Not much.

I have read (not confirmed) you can use your spouse's discount in some cases (if they are in the correct age bracket). But, again, that is not confirmed.

I've got maybe 5 months before being stuffed up with Brexit.  Discounts apply the same for EU/EEA citizens.   I saw at the Heviz spa I could get a discount for being over 60. That's what prompted me to ask the question.

What do they class as a pensioner? You get 50% off on the trains.

Saying that you are more likely to get free stuff or more discounts at 65 years old.

[The standard retirement age is 63 years in 2016 and is gradually increasing to 65 in 2022. In addition, 20 years' service is required for both the earnings-related pension and the minimum pension. 15 years' service is required to receive a partial pension without eligibility to the minimum pension.]

fluffy2560 wrote:

Discounts apply the same for EU/EEA citizens.  .

Mea Culpa. My bad. Was commenting only from my singular perspective as a third party national....

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Discounts apply the same for EU/EEA citizens.  .

Mea Culpa. My bad. Was commenting only from my singular perspective as a third party national....

Soon to be me as well. 

Mrs Fluffy isn't over 60 so nothing to be gained by association.

Seems a bit off that non-EU with registration are not entitled.

SimCityAT wrote:

Saying that you are more likely to get free stuff or more discounts at 65 years old.

[The standard retirement age is 63 years in 2016 and is gradually increasing to 65 in 2022. In addition, 20 years' service is required for both the earnings-related pension and the minimum pension. 15 years' service is required to receive a partial pension without eligibility to the minimum pension.]

It's like a kind of receding goal - somehow moving away from you at marginally greater speed.  Incrementally increasing the retirement age slightly faster than you can reach it.   I expect by the time I reach 65, the retirement age will be 70 and will creep up further so as to be as accessible as  Unobtainium.

I think some items also depend if you are a local resident or not, this is not always indicated, but either through asking or getting informed by acquintances helps.
For me the best example is an annual pass for Heviz lake, my wife pays (pre-Corona it was very relevant and perhaps will be next year :( )) A bit less then EUR 200 per year. If you go 3x per week, it is a massive saving. As I understand it the special prices are determined from the distance you live from the lake. (residence card is key)
I can very well imagine that similar discounts apply for other savings. Museums, concerts are also often offered at a discount (mostly for 65+ though).
Buses are free for pensioners (either resident or EU citizen as I understand).

fluffy2560 wrote:

It's like a kind of receding goal - somehow moving away from you at marginally greater speed..

A kibitzing comment. Kind or reminds me of someone I knew who had the "receding hair theory". While it recedes on your head, it is compensated by growth on your back, in your ears (ewwww), etc....

So maybe apply that to unexpected opportunities regarding fiscal support?

fluffy2560 wrote:

I've got maybe 5 months before being stuffed up with Brexit.  Discounts apply the same for EU/EEA citizens.   I saw at the Heviz spa I could get a discount for being over 60. That's what prompted me to ask the question.

Depending on what you like, look at places you like to go or do, they all seem to have their own rates etc....

SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Depending on what you like, look at places you like to go or do, they all seem to have their own rates etc....

I see that it's mainly over 65s that get the national discounts.

I was thinking perhaps there was something national I can get for free entering my 7th decade.

Like free bus pass or discount at national monuments - that kind of thing.

Not targeting anything specific just looking to see what I can get.

Sorry Mr Fluffy but it's a big fat zero.
If you are able to show some sort of retirement papers at the SS office and are age 63 1/2 years old you MAY be given a form /paper which gives you a discount on a city wide travel pass. You will get a few discount coupons for train travel too, not many, a couple for 50% off and a few for 90% off.
I got the big run around and never got the discount.
My husband got his at 62 BUT they have changed the age to 63 1/2 plus he was refused it.He pressed it because as a citizen of HU he was mad. Bad enough he gets zip from SS here in Hungary.
They will only give seniors a senior discount card for places if you are retired from working in HU and can show a min. of 15 years of work and be of retirment age.
Not sure what age that is with that card, could be 62 or 65.
We don't qualify so not interested in the facts much.
As a citizen of the EU or a perm resident of HU from a 3rd country, not a temp resident, you should be able to travel inside of Hungary for free after age 65.
You will how ever have to pay for a seat on an express train, it goes by how far you travel, it's still super cheap though just a few bucks each way.
Our district mialed us a card good for some small discounts on local shops, we never used it, only once to enter the oo, was soemthing like half price to get in with the card. Had it mailed for free after age 60 but anyone can purchase the card if they live in the 7th district and get the same discounts.
That wa sunder our old major, the new mayor isn't giving us a thing.
Old mayor would give out X mas boxes to seniors, hams at Easter and sometimes bags of veggies  to those with the card living in our district.
No Hu doesn't give much to seniors unless you are low income and collecting SS from Hungary and are a citizen .
Happy BD though!

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Again, sorry to say those discounts are misleading to read. You need a retirement card issued in HU that shows you are collecting from woking in HU and getting HU SS payments.
My husband can't even get this with his 9 years of official work in HU in his youth.
We went into SS once or twice over the years to double check if he was able to collect anything here, big fat NO!

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

I see that it's mainly over 65s that get the national discounts.

I was thinking perhaps there was something national I can get for free entering my 7th decade.

Like free bus pass or discount at national monuments - that kind of thing.

Not targeting anything specific just looking to see what I can get.

I do believe some museums if not all may give a slight discount if you are over age 60 with EU or HU resident cards. Not for 3rd country people but residents only.
I went with a friend to the museum about 5 years ago and she got a discount to enter because she had just turned 60. I was 59 if my memory serves me right, no discount for me at the time.She had UK ID.
Can't hurt to ask  when you enter places though.
Museums sometimes discount even without a HU SS retirement card but spas no, not sure if it is because these spas are private owned and the museums gov. pwned or what but it is a something thing but not much of huge savings.
The only real perk to count on for now is free travel after age 65.That is sadly subject to change.

Good news is after  age 65 the HU national health will pay 50% of a new set of dentures every 4 years!! Woopie!! Would rather keep my own , thank you!
The dental school no longer charges the small doctors fee on work after age 60, not sure about any other medical thing, oh some medications get a discount, not sure think about 10% off, I take no meds so not sure what the discount is.
Back to that discount city wide travel pass age age 63 1/2.
It used to be age 62, my husband was mad that he was rejected because he couldn't show a SS from HU. He usually lets things sldie but wanted something for all his years of work here and going through living in the dark times of the 50's. He wrote a nice long letter to the head of BKK and finally they just mailed him the discount paperwork and few train discount coupons.
He never used them much, only had to pay a student rate for a monthly pass inside Budapest.
He used it a dozen times perhaps just for quick shopping or if he got lazy on our walks.
When I turned 62 we went into BKK, they sent us to the SS office. I had papers from the US showing i had taken early retirement. Was told to return at 62 1/2 years old.
Had to submit a ton of papers to the SS in HU.
Was notified about going again into the SS office. Was then told it was 63 1/2 years to apply.
Went in again, more filing of papers and had to get it all translated into HU. They didn't charge for that, thankfully.
Then was rejected and told I could probably travel for free at 65.
On my 65th BD I rode all over Budapest for free after all of that run around  for nada.
Since then I have only used the trains about 5 times so far in the last 7 months.
I don't think too many seniors are running all over the country taking advantage of free travel.Don't notice all that many older people on the trains.
So getting a discount at 62 was all a lie and having a HU spouse doesn't seem to help one way or the other with these offices.
My husband was rather mad when I was rejected because it really all came down to one office worker upstairs who never met us to give the yea or nay. Nay being easier to give.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I don't think too many seniors are running all over the country taking advantage of free travel.Don't notice all that many older people on the trains.

Not just trains. In the countryside, buses go to most every village. Seniors use their free bus pass here a lot. Sometimes, I am the youngest person on the bus. And I am over the half century mark. But sometimes I am the oldest when I take the bus that many children use to get home from school (which I think is also subsidized locally here where I live).

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Not just trains. In the countryside, buses go to most every village. Seniors use their free bus pass here a lot. Sometimes, I am the youngest person on the bus. And I am over the half century mark. But sometimes I am the oldest when I take the bus that many children use to get home from school (which I think is also subsidized locally here where I live).

Yes, buses, trolleys and trains are free for those over 65 with EU or perm resident permit.
I prefer the trains if possible to bus travel, so bumpy and too many traffic stops.
Of course trains don't go everywhere in the country.
We drove about 3 hours from Budapest last year to look at a vacation home.
No trains went there, had to change to a bus half way there .
We drove our car though, I was still"too young" for free travel and it sort of equaled out with buying gas plus I like taking the car for longer trips if possible.Can always have your own"safe zone" in your car if needed.
Not sure but heard that TGIF Fridays' gives a free slice of cake if it's your BD.
I am not sure though, we never tell anyone it's our BD when that day rolls around.
Too embarrassing to have strangers start singing to you in public.
In the US I know some places give you a free meal on your BD.
One crazy cousin of  mine in N.Ca. posted photos of all the palces he and his wife went to on is BD where he got a meal for free.
I know he was just having some silly fun but how can anyone eat all that food in a day?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, buses, trolleys and trains are free for those over 65 with EU or perm resident permit.
I prefer the trains if possible to bus travel, so bumpy and too many traffic stops.
Of course trains don't go everywhere in the country.
We drove about 3 hours from Budapest last year to look at a vacation home.
No trains went there, had to change to a bus half way there .
We drove our car though, I was still"too young" for free travel and it sort of equaled out with buying gas plus I like taking the car for longer trips if possible.Can always have your own"safe zone" in your car if needed.
Not sure but heard that TGIF Fridays' gives a free slice of cake if it's your BD.
I am not sure though, we never tell anyone it's our BD when that day rolls around.
Too embarrassing to have strangers start singing to you in public.
In the US I know some places give you a free meal on your BD.
One crazy cousin of  mine in N.Ca. posted photos of all the palces he and his wife went to on is BD where he got a meal for free.
I know he was just having some silly fun but how can anyone eat all that food in a day?

We've been thinking of  buying our own holiday house down at Balaton for years.  It's outrageously expensive next to the lake - I saw 2000m2 land with house to renovate - cost north of $1M.   It's all about the land.   After the algal bloom we saw down there, makes me wonder if it'd be sensible to own anything next to the lake.  Be a gooey rotting filled depression if they don't get to grips with the pollution.  I wouldn't buy anything inaccessible by train and/or bus.

At Trofea in BUD you get a free birthday cake if you say it's your birthday (you don't have to be over 60!).   I hate to say it but we helped a tour group who were coming to Hungary and told them to say they had a birthday when they visited Trofea.  And the shocker is it was not actually anyone's birthday that day (about 3 weeks out anyway).   But they got the song, the cake and the firework.  Everytime I was in Trofea (almost a distant memory) there would be 2-3 birthdays.  We used to go to Trofea quite often but not since COVID19 and becoming teetotal.  And who wants to feel like a stuffed whale from over indulgence.  Not really worth it for the money and expensive way to save washing the dishes.

I wish my in-laws  had dreamed of Balaton and not Erd back in the day...
We once rented, guess that was back in 1986 a Balaton villa for 3 days from one of my hubbies friends. Well as soon as I started to chill out and relax, darn if 2 cars full of HU people arrived to keep us co. for the weekend. These people took money from us to rent their home and then had the nerve to pop over without warning. I was so totally pissed off that I packed my bags and got in the car.So rude of them but then again as an American guess I was the bad guy.
Not even sure what came up in their heads as I do not even speak HU and why would I travel all the way from Cali to spend the weekend with them after I paid the bill?
Since then except of one time of renting a 2 bedroom place for 3 days with another couple, I really haven't spent the night at Balaton.
Oh, almost forgot, my ex- HU DIL's mom had a huge property at Balaton, she did the B&B thing with it, had about 5 or 6 rooms to let.
They invited my husband and I for the weekend when our son was dating his later wife.
Well it was just weird, they invited us like early Sept. or there about's when the lake was cold and the wind was up. Not another soul to be seen at the lake.
Cheapos or what?
Not able to enjoy the lake at all.
We took our DIL to a spa instead for the day.
Well, it was fun to me but she wasn't showing a good face to us as her future in-laws.
We ordered a meal and my husband and I both ordered something simple, my DIL didn't know how to follow lead and ordered half the menu. Really turned my husband off to her.
The night before hand at the villa as the only guests in the house her mom made us dinner.
I was so hungry that I would of eaten a mud pie.
She made some noodles and bone soup for us, that's it, all she wrote.
My husband was pissed saying that was no way to treat future in-laws in a Hungarian style,
At this late date in life, we probably are better off just renting something for a season rather then investing in a property which will sit empty once we are gone.
Not so many years left to enjoy an investment, just keeping it real.
Probably will venture to the lake this week if the weather holds.
It is a bit funny though that people need to stay at Balaton , in S. Ca it is normal to drive for 90 mins or langer just to get to an ocean that should take 35 mins to get to without traffic.
We sort of gave up on the all you can eat buffets here. We can't eat enough in one sitting for one thing. We took our next door neighbors to a buffet in HU years age. It was a family of 4 plus us 2, so 6 people.
They normally had no problem eating but at the buffet it was like they all turned anorexic. No one ate anything, just picked at this or that. Had drinks included in the meal, nothing while usually at home they opened one bottle after another.
Made me angry to get a bill of over $100,00 and no one ate anything. Wouldn't care less if they had actually eaten anything. To this day I still can't figure it out, the food was decent and the drinks were good too.
I gave up after that inviting anyone to food.
I know a few years back when my bro and his wife visited us in Vegas, we had a family reunion of about 8 to 9 people. My bro and his wife were picking up the tab for 3 meals a day for almost everyone except my husband and I. My bro forced me to eat 2 meals with them.
He must of been spending a min. of $300. or more judging by the drinks people were ordering.
No wonder I see him once every decade or so.That was $300. per meal...
In Poland 6 years back my 2 US female older cousins set up a dinner at the B&B for about 14 of us. Wine and all.
They later told me they were "shocked" by the bill.
I can only imagine  how much they were charged per head and our gay cousin and his guy owned the place.
I was afraid to ask them what the damage was.
I know our tab for 2 nights. one dinner and 2 breakfasts came to a total of over $600. We got the ,"family discount" pricing too.

fluffy2560 wrote:

We've been thinking of  buying our own holiday house down at Balaton for years.  It's outrageously expensive next to the lake - I saw 2000m2 land with house to renovate - cost north of $1M.   It's all about the land.

Have been not interested in property for a few years (bought mine already), but three years ago I could still find nice houses by the lake for much, much less. Of course they were not on the easy to access eastern shore, but they all had bus or train access (the ones with train access were oddly cheaper).

But then again... people have gone crazy in the last few years regarding property here...  Prices have gone up beyond what the land is really worth. A bubble. Property across the street from is is up for sale. Nothing on it but vines and a small wine cellar (communist construction -- i.e. needs to be torn down). Most everyone coming to look at it drives a BMV or Mercedes. Weird. It is not really that great a location. Not much of a view. We are 5 km from the lake (but direct bus to the lake, and a bike road part of the way there too). Our property has more going for it (eg. higher up the hill, better view), and cost me less than their cars.....

Would not buy now. Now a good time to sell if one has land by the lake.

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

We've been thinking of  buying our own holiday house down at Balaton for years.  It's outrageously expensive next to the lake - I saw 2000m2 land with house to renovate - cost north of $1M.   It's all about the land.

Have been not interested in property for a few years (bought mine already), but three years ago I could still find nice houses by the lake for much, much less. Of course they were not on the easy to access eastern shore, but they all had bus or train access (the ones with train access were oddly cheaper).

But then again... people have gone crazy in the last few years regarding property here...  Prices have gone up beyond what the land is really worth. A bubble. Property across the street from is is up for sale. Nothing on it but vines and a small wine cellar (communist construction -- i.e. needs to be torn down). Most everyone coming to look at it drives a BMV or Mercedes. Weird. It is not really that great a location. Not much of a view. We are 5 km from the lake (but direct bus to the lake, and a bike road part of the way there too). Our property has more going for it (eg. higher up the hill, better view), and cost me less than their cars.....

The Mrs Fluffy family have land directly on the Southern side of the lake (like 30m away across a small quiet road) but there are so many owners, it's become unmanageable with mixes of cousins and original older owners.   

It's nice to be at the lake but the season is so short, is it worth the premium to be there directly and only use it for 2-3 months a year?   

Some of the houses around there are magnificent (incl. BMW, Mercs, Porsches) but the one we access is falling to pieces (literally).  It's not worth renovating and should be demolished. 

As a kind of idling day dreaming project, I am however, currently (and slowly) researching putting containerised buildings there instead.

Trying to get all the owners to agree anything as a group in Hungary is never going to work so Mrs Fluffy and I wonder we should just get our own land and do our own thing.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Noodles are OK but bone soup?  I've got a thing about that.  Talk about cheap!  Yuck! How about putting some proper veg and meat in it?   Old bones cost just a few HUF.  We buy them for our dog who likes them frozen/chilled in this weather.

fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Noodles are OK but bone soup?  I've got a thing about that.  Talk about cheap!  Yuck! How about putting some proper veg and meat in it?   Old bones cost just a few HUF.  We buy them for our dog who likes them frozen/chilled in this weather.

Yes, she was cheap all right.
It tasted great though, I was super hungry and it was a cold and rainy day.
My husband and I are not "fancy" eaters but as her daughters future in-laws she could of maybe did in one of her chickens for us.
Just mentioned chicken because this women was so cheap, how cheap was she?.. So cheap she once rode her bicycle from Buda to Balaton because she didn't want to spend the money on petrol on her car and the train wouldn't allow her chickens on board!!
Funny! She packed a few chickens up in a box and rode to her huge villa on the lake!
Now we know how she could afford a 3 story house in Buda and a large villa at Balaton . Her husband had been only a cab driver but she seemed to be a "slave" driver. She would brag about the deals she made with contractors when she was building her Buda house, they did the work but told her to never call them again. For once, a contractor got the raw deal here in Hungary !
This is the same women who drove her boyfriend to suicide on his BD at her Balaton villa and then sent her daughter to his house to collect a  pair of shoes from his family that she left at their home! Cheap and no class at all. No wonder my old MIL cried her eyes out when she first met my DIL and begged us to stop her grandson from getting married, too bad you can't really tell anyone what to do with their lives, most will not listen.

fluffy2560 wrote:
klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

The Mrs Fluffy family have land directly on the Southern side of the lake (like 30m away across a small quiet road) but there are so many owners, it's become unmanageable with mixes of cousins and original older owners.   

It's nice to be at the lake but the season is so short, is it worth the premium to be there directly and only use it for 2-3 months a year?   

Some of the houses around there are magnificent (incl. BMW, Mercs, Porsches) but the one we access is falling to pieces (literally).  It's not worth renovating and should be demolished. 

As a kind of idling day dreaming project, I am however, currently (and slowly) researching putting containerised buildings there instead.

Trying to get all the owners to agree anything as a group in Hungary is never going to work so Mrs Fluffy and I wonder we should just get our own land and do our own thing.

My husband thinks it isn't worth it for the few months.
We went to the lake Velence yesterday for "free". Took the train, had a comfy seat with A/C and got there and back in about one hour from Velence to Keliti station. Tha't with a transfer on the subway/tube to Keliti. Faster then taking the car and getting stuck in mid afternoon Budapest traffic.
If I was 20 year syounger however, I may think differently about land on the lake, as it stands I wouldn't mind a cheap little summer house within a 15 to 20 min. bike ride away but talking my husband into making up his mind is another story.
He is fine with day trips alone and not hanging at the lake.
We rented a "villa' in Velence for 6 months back in 2000 on vacation to HU. Rented it through a friend who knew the owners.
It was peaceful but then again , when the parties were on in the neighborhood in the heat of summer it was loud.
Not exactly the getting back to nature thing unless you have a very large slice of land and no one around.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Yes, she was cheap all right.
It tasted great though, I was super hungry and it was a cold and rainy day.
My husband and I are not "fancy" eaters but as her daughters future in-laws she could of maybe did in one of her chickens for us.
Just mentioned chicken because this women was so cheap, how cheap was she?.. So cheap she once rode her bicycle from Buda to Balaton because she didn't want to spend the money on petrol on her car and the train wouldn't allow her chickens on board!!
Funny! She packed a few chickens up in a box and rode to her huge villa on the lake!
Now we know how she could afford a 3 story house in Buda and a large villa at Balaton . Her husband had been only a cab driver but she seemed to be a "slave" driver. She would brag about the deals she made with contractors when she was building her Buda house, they did the work but told her to never call them again. For once, a contractor got the raw deal here in Hungary !
This is the same women who drove her boyfriend to suicide on his BD at her Balaton villa and then sent her daughter to his house to collect a  pair of shoes from his family that she left at their home! Cheap and no class at all. No wonder my old MIL cried her eyes out when she first met my DIL and begged us to stop her grandson from getting married, too bad you can't really tell anyone what to do with their lives, most will not listen.

Wow, that's really cheap behaviour.   And nasty too. 

That story makes me think  of career advancement by deadman's shoes.  What was she going to do with them? Give them to the next victim?   Do voodoo?

It's quite a distance to Balaton from Buda.  Those chickens might have been roasted with the feathers on by the time they arrived!

Nasty people get reputations.  If they last long enough they usually end up dying alone.  One of relatively close relatives had a nasty and/or bonkers wife.  My relative died leaving his wife and two sons behind. When she eventually died, I think only her sons turned up for the funeral.  No-one else cared to go. 

Her loopy behaviour rubbed off on her sons and no-one communicates with them either.  She actually turned them into weirdo recluses.  They get asked to join in but no-one gets a reply.   Eventually no-one wastes their time on it.

Bit off topic.  Should be elsewhere and we all know where....!!

fluffy2560 wrote:

Noodles are OK but bone soup?  I've got a thing about that.  Talk about cheap!

Or maybe simply poor. Or grew up poor so this was "normal" growing up. Especially in post war years in Europe. And maybe simply carried the idea onto adulthood. I for one think you are judging a bit too much. Especially on a topic where you are asking for discounts for yourself. Do you really need them, as in will you starve if you did not get such discounts? Or are you simply being "cheap".....  Squeezing the penny to see how much you can get? Pondering minds .... :/:D

klsallee wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:

Noodles are OK but bone soup?  I've got a thing about that.  Talk about cheap!

Or maybe simply poor. Or grew up poor so this was "normal" growing up. Especially in post war years in Europe. And maybe simply carried the idea onto adulthood. I for one think you are judging a bit too much. Especially on a topic where you are asking for discounts for yourself. Do you really need them, as in will you starve if you did not get such discounts? Or are you simply being "cheap".....  Squeezing the penny to see how much you can get? Pondering minds .... :/:D

Throwing myself on the pyre isn't going to help anyone.  It could be argued I already paid for any benefits. 

Bone soup masquerades as something more substantial. 

Maybe you remember the apocryphal story of stone soup

Bone soup is stone soup without the theatre.

Oh, my, hate to have stirred the pot...
We western minded people can't really compare ourselves to eastern raised people.
Then again, normal human decency is in order.
My son was only 23 or there about's a total US raised protected sort of "nerd", sweet and trusting.
His HU wife and her Mom took full advantage of it too.
All in the past now, thank GOD!
Thinking back I am so grateful that I had no grandchildren from this family of vipers...
My son got taken in by his HU wife when she told him her parents were so cheap that she didn't have a toothbrush until she was 12 years old.
I am sure she was full of it!
My son was the perfect target for these over the top tales.
That is what can happen when one person cares more for the other in a relationship.
Balance is the name of the "game".