Menu
Expat.com

Unsigned contract before work pass application

Last activity 28 July 2020 by dadummy29

dadummy29

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to ask if it's normal that an employment contract is sent over email but only to be signed on the start date of employment (after work pass is approved)? I have some friends said that normally HR asks them to sign the employment contract first before applying for their work pass application.

Also to add-on, I accepted an offer from a company, I submitted all my docs for work pass application and mention to wait for the outcome. I was constantly checking using the EP tool but never saw my application and I also never saw my job role on the jobs bank (careers future). Only after constant follow-ups that took about 3 weeks, I saw the job role was posted on jobs bank. The following day, the HR called me that there was a glitch on the jobs bank and they tried to follow up with it but advised that they still need to repost and wait for 14 days. Does anyone here experienced being told that there was such glitch?

Thank you for the time on reading this and hope to get some advice.

beppi

An emplöyment contract is valid if the outlines are defined and both parties agree to it. This does not need to be in writing, although it normally is (and is less prone to disputes then).
Since a foreign candidate can only be hired AFTER posting on the jobs bank with no suitable local candidate applying, your company was wrong in promising you the job before posting.

zell10_10

Hi, what are the tool you used to check EP application status? and how do we look at the job bank?

dadummy29

Thanks for the info beppi. Would you know what are the implications if I were to retract the accepted offer given that I didn't sign the contract and the employment pass application hasn't been submitted? Will it affect my future applications?

dadummy29

Hi zell10_10,

You can use this tool to check your work pass application https://eponline.mom.gov.sg/epol/PEPOLE … tAction.do Since I don't know the application number, I used my passport and birth date.

For the jobs bank, you can check https://www.mycareersfuture.sg/ and look for job post of your potential company there.

zell10_10

Hey dadummy29,

Thanks for the information. I realised there was no entry that matched my passport and birth date. I submitted my documents to HR about 10 days ago. Does that mean that my application have not been submitted?

Or is there a private login that is only available for employer to check? there is this section in the EP Tool portal
If you are a foreigner who wishes to find out more about your application status, please refer to your employer who may be authorised to login to Employment Pass Online for more information.

dadummy29

Hey zell10_10,

To my knowledge, it should appear and if there was no entry, most likely it wasn't  submitted. I think the section explains if you want more information, so the summary of the application should at least appear. Maybe you can clarify with your HR, ask them if they have submitted your application and mention that you checked with the EP tool but didn't see your application and ask them for the application number too so you can monitor the status.

Hope this helps!

zell10_10

Hey dadummy29,

Thanks for your insights! Hopefully you will have good news landing upon you soon!

Are you currently in Singapore?

beppi

Dadummy: If you retract before MoM knows about it, it cannot have negative implications there. But the employer might not like it.

dadummy29

zell10_10: Thanks! Yes currently in Singapore.

beppi: Ok got it, thanks for the help.

Articles to help you in your expat project in Singapore

• Work visas for Singapore
    Work visas for Singapore

As an expat, you must have a job to pay for your rent, bills, and leisure activities, but you can't just move ...

• Work visas in Singapore
    Work visas in Singapore

PEP applicants are assessed on the following criteria:

• Driving in Singapore
    Driving in Singapore

Singapore has an efficient public transportation system coupled with excellent taxi services, with phone apps ...

• Dating in Singapore
    Dating in Singapore

Moving to Singapore has been fun since you've been exploring a new country and culture. However, if you ...

• Internships in Singapore
    Internships in Singapore

Singapore is home to many universities of international repute, as well as companies from a diverse range of ...

• Marriage in Singapore
    Marriage in Singapore

Singapore allows both foreigners or a foreigner and a local national to marry in the country. The procedures and ...

• Using phones in Singapore
    Using phones in Singapore

As in many developed countries, mobile phones have taken over the landline network in Singapore. Whether ...

• Finding a job in Singapore
    Finding a job in Singapore

Singapore has a well-developed job market with numerous outlets providing information on employment opportunities, ...

All of Singapore's guide articles