Menu
Expat.com

STC 5G HOme broadband problem

Last activity 04 February 2021 by khalidkhanblog

marianlaparan

Hello everyone,

Would just like to ask. I tool the STC 5G with indoor router for gaming purposes and streaming it. We r planning to take fiber but they said our area is not covered. I took the 60 mbps Download speed and 15 mbps upload but im not satisfied bcos im only getting a 5 mbps upload speed so i cant stream my game it is required to have a stable 10 mbps for streaming for a better quality. Now i am upset bcos i need to pay this monthly for 3 years when its not totally worth it at all.

Help please need some advice sad.png thanks alot!

XTang

This is exactly why I always advise all of my friends who live in high rise apartment buildings (and even in some cases, villas) to NEVER let the guy who is installing the router (4G or 5G sim based), leave without testing speed.  SIM based connections almost NEVER deliver the speed if you are in a high rise building - doesn't matter whether it is an outdoor or indoor router.  The newer buildings have gotten taller and above 10 floors, where the signal suffers.

If you test speed and it is not up to expectations, in most cases, the guy himself will not install it and leave.  In others, you can refuse.   And that is it, the order gets cancelled.   And it is very easy to test speed - speedtest.net.   

Unfortunately, you have installed it.  Now you have to go back to them and see what penalty is due to you for cancelling it.  Or figure out what package is closer to your 5 MBps speed that you are getting and downgrade to it.   Or when and if fiber comes to your area, you can maybe negotiate with them to convert to it.

marianlaparan

Is it possible to install Fiber optic from 5G plan? Im still waiting for their action. I already reported it. I ask them to come here in my flat to find a good reception for it.

sad.png i took both 5G router and 4G router total of 30 BD a month. They never did a test, its just they gave it to me on the spot when i went to STC outlet.

XTang

Ahhh, this is the problem.  NEVER EVER rely on in an indoor router in an apartment.   The best way to do it is to tell the agent that you want outdoor.  And then someone comes to install.  When they come, they have both i.e. indoor and outdoor.  If you see good speed on both then you can always go back and get an indoor router.  I am surprised that the agent didn't flag this risk as they usually tell you upfront.

They can close and change the plan to fibre and maybe, waive cancellation charges.  But you can't change it unless there is availability of fibre in your area.  Their fibre is also quite limited. 

Batelco is the best. I use Batelco fiber in my villa, a 100 Mbps line.  They have made it unlimited till Oct 31st due to Covid and upgraded it.  I am getting 500 Mbps down and 50 Mbps up smile.png.

marianlaparan

I should have took Batelco fiber. 😭😭😭😭😭 my postpaid is Batelco. Huhuhu.

marianlaparan

My area is in Adliya.

khalidkhanblog

You dont need to pay any pentalty for cancelling the contract. Follow the following steps:

1. File an official complaint with the STC regarding the poor network/ speed and everyday take screenshots or photos of the speed you are getting.
2. Take complaint number from them for sure. If you missed it you cant raise a complaint later.
3. I forget the exact time but around 2-3 weeks time you have to give to STC to fix the problem.
4. Raise a complaint with the TRA in Bahrain and provide them all the documents, evidence, screenshots etc which you have and explain why you are not happy with the resolution provided. If you have a sufficient case STC will be forced to cancel the contract from their end without you paying any damages for the breach of contract.

NOTE: I have done this personally and zain removed the router and cancelled my contract from their side because of the speed issue in my area but I ofcourse give them a hard time to make them do it.

marianlaparan

Hello.. its been 5 months since i got the 5G how many visits they made, because i kept on complaining. And just now i complain again cos im just getting the worst upload speed of 1 mbps on my ps4! So i cant stream. And even i have lets say 8 mbps the stream is so blurry!!!

I took this internet for my streaming of games. But im not happy. And i wanna cancel it. Like, i never had a good and decent stream with this 5G my viewers kept on telling me its blurry even my ps4 is directly wired through the router.

One time last year the stc guys came to ny house checking the speed thru the speedtest app. They are relying to it. U dont determine the speed unless u got the ping from the command prompt. Yes the speedtest is giving good speed with shitty ping but when u test it from the ps4 wired its giving like not even half of the 15 mbps plan!! I hate it

So i can make a complain for this?

khalidkhanblog

I would advise you to take compliant numbers. Take screenshots of speed at different times and dates. Pursuant to that ask STC in writing through their WhatsApp channel to fix the problem. In the end submit all the complaints to the TRA and tell them to ask STC to cancel the contract because if you would do from your end then they will ask termination fees.

If you already have all the evidences then file complaint now. https://www.tra.org.bh/en/category/comp … -enquiries

Articles to help you in your expat project in Manama

• Phones and internet in Bahrain
    Phones and internet in Bahrain

New expats in Bahrain will want to get connected as soon as they arrive, to stay in touch with friends and family. ...

• Accommodation in Manama
    Accommodation in Manama

Accommodation in Bahrain can range from cheap apartments to incredibly expensive villas. Most expats will aim for ...

• Working in Manama
    Working in Manama

The opportunities for employment in Bahrain are wide-ranging, although, in recent years, there have been changes ...

• Getting married in Bahrain
    Getting married in Bahrain

Bahrain allows anyone who resides in the country to get married, irrespective of nationality or religion. The ...

• Driving in Bahrain
    Driving in Bahrain

Expats love the freedom and convenience of driving, and many choose to purchase or rent their own car. But, ...

• Opening a bank account in Bahrain
    Opening a bank account in Bahrain

Opening a local bank account is essential for receiving your salary. The Wage Protection System (WPS) is designed ...

• Relocating with your pets to Bahrain
    Relocating with your pets to Bahrain

One of the decisions to make when relocating to a foreign country is what to do about pets. For many expats, there ...

• Starting a business in Bahrain
    Starting a business in Bahrain

According to the World Bank Group report for 2019, Bahrain lies 3rd out of 20 nations, for ease of doing business ...

All of Manama's guide articles