Importing Seeds

Bigpearlsaid . . . Many/most seeds are available online as well as department stores and no need for quarantine.

If you want to see what your mature tomatoes will look like just buy the biggest, tastiest tomatoes you can find at your favorite market.

Slice the tomato in thin slices and plant the slice 1/4" in the soil. Within a week or so several plants will germinate from each slice. When the plants are about six inches tall, choose the healthiest looking plant from each slice and cut the stems off the remaining plants.

Also when you prune your growing plants, the pruned plant stems can be placed in water and they will sprout roots. Then you can plant these in your garden. It's possible to grow dozens of tomato plants from the original plant or slice.

Tomato seeds are not digestible which brings me up to the subject of Milorganite. Milorganite is the fertilizer that is the byproduct of sewage treatment from the Milwaukee Metro Sewage Dept.

From time to time undigested tomato seeds that have been through human consumption and then processed by the Milwaukee Sewage Department grow into healthy plants (wild) when the Milorganite Fertilizer is used.

@bigpearl

Tks Steeve this is exactly what i want to know.

The vegetable here are so small i need to buy 5 brocoli, and tomatos ichh, ya ill try to order some seeds on my return in oct  this time for good.

Cheers Real

When you If can't find large juicy tomatoes, large sweet onions, large iceberg lettuce, quality broccoli or cauliflower at the market, there must be a reason.

*Large: one slice to cover a cheeseburger.

They can't be grown commercially successfully here.

I gave up trying.

Agree Bob, some things don't grow well here but others flourish, climate.

Onions are hit and miss most times what we would call pickling size then other, not oft times we get large onions. While I can deal with small onions/broccoli/cauliflower and cabbage the bane of my life here is tomatoes, they taste like crap and yes small.

I grew them successfully here and we are beachfront and the tomatoes we grew were behind the house away from the salt air and by 1/2 pm got shade from the house. Also beans, snow peas, okra, eggplant, capsicum but small as well as basil, parsley etc. but always the winners were the tomatoes that actually tasted  as they should, the family/neighbours loved them saying often you can't buy like that here.

Fighting the goats off through that time was frustrating but now all the fences are up and works here about complete we will start again in the vegie garden. Pumkin and Zucchini makes great soups.

Cheers, Steve.

@bigpearl

Good to ear this bcs ill try for sure specialy for tomatos bcs you right on the taste 👍

A question... my basil and amaranth that i bought in lazada and supermarket have  self seeded... should i be worried that they may become invasive? beside my home is agricutural land.

Including my lettuce have self seeded. I tried searching about the legality of it but can't find any

Behind our piggery is a nice bit of open space for a small garden. But the ground is hard and covered in rocks! Yet there's soil too, Enough so that there's still 6 banana trees back there and two coconut trees. So I had workers go through it for a week. And literally made a rock sift and had them sift 4" of ground to flat. Tossed a layer of goat poop down, tossed the fine soil back over it, smoothed it out.

We planted 100 pinto beans (hoping 30 make it).

We also planted Yellow Zucchini squash, broccoli, beefsteak tomatoes, leeks, cauliflower, black beauty eggplant, green onion.

Might plant some asparagus. But I bought those seeds not knowing it takes 3 years from seed to produce. Ugh,

@Larry Fisher We have an extra 750sq so we have turned part of that into a garden growing okra, peanuts, watermelon, bitter Mellon and camote. And of course malunggay everywhere. So far, so good. My brother in law is a farmer and he really has a knack for this. We live part way up a volcano, Mt. Talinis, and the soil is dark and nearly black. Here in Valencia things grow well partly because of the volcanic soil and partly due to the lower temps up here (I believe). I was surprised to see a comment questioning the legality of self seeding.

We have a few things self seeding here and we welcome the new crops.

?mibextid=xfxF2i

I grow vegetables of all kinds under led lights. they do very well. not hydroponics as I too used to grow female ”stuff”.m as well. i did it for fun and for the challenge  with metal halides and the likes. heavy on the electric bill.now i grow vegies indoors during the cold winter months of South Dakota. when our garden is impossible to utilize. we plan to move to the philippines in 2026 and i will continue to grow our food (family of 4) under leds indoors. Its amazing how well they do and for little money once you've invested in the lights. well happy growing everyone!