Expat Communities

My cousin has been living in the Philippines for 10 years. I am wondering what cities have the largest expat communities especially American. From what he told me its not wise to live outside an expat community when u first arrive since the Philippines is a learning curve. As stated before im planning on moving as soon as the quarantine lifts. in the meantime i will continue to work and add to my savings

Perhaps living with or near your cousin would be a good start.  Most areas have expats living near by, either in the big cities or in the suburban barangay.  In Ilocos there are expat groups centered in Vigan and Laoag.  There are some who meet often at fast food restaurants while others meet once a month at local restaurants and plan other events.

When you said "expat community" did you mean like an area with a large number of foreigners from a particular country, like what Daly City, CA is for Filipinos or Mission /24th St. District in SF for Latinos? I'm not aware of an expat community in the Philippines, except for the Chinese in Binondo, Manila.  If ever there is an American community, I guess it would be in Angeles or Clark where the US bases used to be in.

There might not be expat communities, but there are expat "groups". As mugtech mentioned, some meet often or some once a month or plan events. It's up to you if you want to join.

I and my husband were invited to a party of an expat couple. They were mostly British, and all of them retirees. We didn't really fit in. (No offense.) We were in our mid 40's with young kids and still in the work force trying to grow our nest egg. Though it's a term of endearment, I felt somewhat uncomfortable when some of the younger wives referred to me as "mommy." So we stopped going.

As mugtech had advised, I too would recommend that you start first with living with or near your cousin. Unless, of course, that area is not safe. If that's not possible, would suggest living in a gated community or a condo compound with security guards. I think you will do just fine here if you spend your money wisely, use common sense and be street smart.

New expats getting to know other expats can be a good thing, especially when language throws up barriers harder to cross than an idiotic wall/fence, but I'm very much of the "forget other foreigners - I saw loads in the old country" school of thought.
I might well be an anti-social SOB, or maybe just a git, but I far prefer to mix with locals than other Brits or whatever.
Saying that, I met a really cute Chinese lady some while ago I wouldn't have objected to mixing with.  :D

More seriously, I strongly suggest getting to know as many locals as you can, but talking to the odd bod from back home doesn't hurt.

Fred wrote:

More seriously, I strongly suggest getting to know as many locals as you can, but talking to the odd bod from back home doesn't hurt.

Fred is right.

It also helps if you know a bit of Bisaya (if you're planning on living in Mindanao) or Tagalog (in Luzon).

a fair warning, meeting a fellow American here may or may not end up well.

He might turn out to be a complete d***bag, you know? The one that comes over, eats all your food, drinks all your booze, but never brings anything over.

Flirts with your wife when you aren't looking.

or the type that thinks they are God's gift to the Phillipines after they arrive because he has some kind of superiority complex.

or worse, he's a wanted pedophile back home. (Yup, this happened to me in China, we lived in the same building.)

Ah well, come over. Chill with your cousin, get to know the area and feel your way around, take your time, get to know the people, culture, stay vigilant, don't brag and show your wealth. Would you go walking around NY if you are a tourist wearing 8oz gold chain
and a rolex ? In other words, don't be a idiot and you'll do just fine.

Philippines has one the most relaxed laws for tourists, basically you can stay min 2 years by just keep updating your visa extensions. Take this time to get to know PH.

You'll probably be in a for a bit of a culture shock, but being America is vast and has much diversity, anything from cities, suburbs and small residential neighborhoods, swamp folks, country folks, probably some folks living inside mountains too, key is have a open mind.

Most stuff is just common sense anywhere you go, not just here.

Condo's are fine and its actually a great start, Gated community are alright, not my preference, I get along with the locals fine, they don't bother me, I don't bother them.

I just know that no matter how hard I try to plan something, things always seem to go the other way somehow. "murphy's law"

I have 0 foreigner friends in my neighborhood, there is a few that lives here and we greet once in a blue moon passing by the hallway or bump into each other at 7-11 but we just go about carry our own business, my closest friend is a Filippino and we met way back when we was in HK together, my other closest pal / acquaintance is probably the clerk at 7-11, my missus and child is my best friend. I'm content and happy. You really don't need 100 friends, you just need 1 really good one, There's always my best pal San Miguel and we meet up during Happy Hour  :proud

If you are humble & not a show off, many of the locals will befriend you sometimes they tend to be 'over' friendly (especially the ladies) which does not go down well with my faithful better half.
I'd be more worried about that savings account & its sustainability.
Omo
:D

from day one i lived whit my wife to be in a all pinoy surounding,her family lived near by and in the other street there was a swedis man with his girl frend,.
i like it wen meeting an other expat and have a good conversation or a drink togetter, but i do not go to meetings to meet expats .
i desaided to live here and so i live with my naibours and that works great.
the rule i follow is that i respect the culture and who ever i meet and stay polite even wen i get insulted or anoyed ,i can not remember  been insulted or anoyed sinds i'm living in the Philippines.(strange thing but it is what it is)
i must admit to beeing extreemly luky with my wife and family here ,they are the best a guy can get,here or any were else.
my naibours to they are very nice ppl ,almost all working . so no much noise even by day there is a calm here in the street.

greets Dirk

foreigners here gather at a small diner that serves 'american' food randomly just whoever happens to be around when you are,sometimes 2 sit together to talk but mostly just smiles and good mornings and everyone eats with wife/girlfriend/family.if anything new or exciting is happening people talk table to table,its casual place so nice to just toss your thoughts in from afar.thats enough exposure for me. have not been there since maybe november or december bcz covid lock downs etc.

Dirk sounds like you found a nice place to live,lucky!

where i live nobody works!