Menu
Expat.com

Hoping for an imminent move to Kuala Lumpur

Last activity 15 October 2020 by bakingneeds

petrolhead

Hi to all

Not a newbie as such (used to live in Dubai), but new to Malaysia.

Have a Skype interview later with a very established Company (am a British citizen) and wondered if you had any questions I should raise with the employer during the interview - a) to impress him and b) anything I need to be aware of beforehand.  Etc..

Thanks to all veterans

Will advise outcome  big_smile.png

ladivo779

Malaysia is a really easy place to live since everyone speaks English and people are friendly and easy going. Also easy to find a place to live, good food and nice shopping.

I have no idea what would impress your interviewer as I do not know what kind of job you are applying for. How much holiday are they offering you? How much housing allowance? How many months salary a year? Full medical etc?

petrolhead

Hi Shill

Thanks for your response - I probably didn't make myself clear in the sense I was seeking some possible undercurrent issues that I need to clarify with the employer.  However, had the Skype interview and since confirmed the job offer is mine. 

Now, the issue is I'm not sure if it's a scam.  Received contract and everything looks satisfactory BUT to enable the working visa to be processed until I arrive there (December 2020) they want my return flight money transferred into their account in order to provide visa application department proof of travelling.  Tbh am certainly NOT happy funding nearly £1k to someone I don't know and then having no recourse if it is a scam!  They are advising me that this is new policy taken out since Covid, and once visa dept. see money I've submitted they will then go ahead with working visa application.

I have since emailed Malaysia visa control to ask if this is actually in force.

Not sure if you've heard of this.

Thanks again

ladivo779

To be perfectly honest, in my previous comment I wanted to mention about Malaysian job scams and not to pay any money to them under any circumstances. But I thought better not to say anything too negative.

However, your own concerns speak for themselves and indeed Malaysia is very famous for it's job scams. I would not under any circumstances transfer a single penny to them.

If you still do feel there is a chance that the job offer is legitimate, then what you could do is to google the company and contact the person of the HR department of the company based entirely on the contact details your yourself have researched online rather than the contact number the interviewer has given you, and verify that you have indeed been offered a job. Scammers will often use the names of real people in a real company but use a false number that only they will answer.

This happened to my sister in-law who was working for a hotel group in Dubai at the time and who was offered a job in a five star hotel in Kuala Lumpur. She asked us to check it out as we were living in KL and it proved to be a job scam. One of her colleagues an Italian guy, did fall for the scam, quit his job in Dubai and sent money to the scammers and ended up jobless.

petrolhead

Good advice - much appreciated.  You know the saying.... if it's too good to be true, it probably is!

They're pushing me for a quick decision - I don't like to be railroaded and when I mentioned I could get cheaper flights than what they quoted I was informed their 'lawyer' said I could only fly with Emirates or BA.  Obviously keeping their costs high.

I've contacted Malaysia visa department to see if they can substantiate this 'protocol' basically just to satisfy my qualms.

I'll keep you posted.

And once again, many thanks

petrolhead

Oh, one other thing..... do you know what the age limit is applying for working visa out there.  I know in UAE it's 60 for a woman

ladivo779

Sorry, I lived in Malaysia for 12 years but as a retiree. Lots of working expats there so I'm sure you'll get your answer pretty soon. Good luck.

gaurav.a.sriva

Sorry but its certainly a scam. There are no such rules. They just trying to swindle u of your money. They wont probably stop here only. Some other demand will crop up afterwards. Pls stay away.

Nl1975

I have been working in KL for some time, in HR as an expat and I can advise you this is a scam as this is not a requirement from a immigration requirement.

During this economic down turn they start to prey even more...

Sorry not what you wanted to hear.....

bakingneeds

I would think that it's better not to transfer the money over. I'm sorry but I have to agree with the above people that it sounds like a scam.

Take care and I'm sure you'll be able to find a better opportunity soon!

Articles to help you in your expat project in Kuala Lumpur

All of Kuala Lumpur's guide articles