Visa extensions

Latest information.

Extensions

"The move means from now until November 30, people who came to Vietnam under visa waiver programs, e-visas or tourism visas from March 1 can stay or leave Vietnam without doing any paperwork or paying any fees.

Regulations on those who entered the country before March 1 remain the same as the current policy.

Those who do not fall under these categories have to abide by the existing laws on immigration."

My understanding of this new update is that VEC holders do not need to do anything (although IMO, it's worth it to spend 230k for a stamp just in case), e-visa and tourist visa holders also do not need to do anything.

However, that only applies to people who entered on or after March 1st, and how many people out there fall into that category?  Very few, I would say.

For the rest, it's (the same confusing) business as usual.

Ciambella wrote:

However, that only applies to people who entered on or after March 1st, and how many people out there fall into that category?  Very few, I would say.

You are correct.  Since they closed the border on March 22 it is only a three week window.  Not many people would have happened to arrived during that timeframe.  I wonder why they picked March 1 as the cutoff date?

Ciambella wrote:

"The move means from now until November 30, people who came to Vietnam under visa waiver programs, e-visas or tourism visas from March 1 can stay or leave Vietnam without doing any paperwork or paying any fees.

Regulations on those who entered the country before March 1 remain the same as the current policy.

Those who do not fall under these categories have to abide by the existing laws on immigration."

My understanding of this new update is that VEC holders do not need to do anything (although IMO, it's worth it to spend 230k for a stamp just in case), e-visa and tourist visa holders also do not need to do anything.

Some agents were asking for 200usd to get a VEC stamp a few months ago. Total greed.

colinoscapee wrote:

Some agents were asking for 200usd to get a VEC stamp a few months ago. Total greed.

What?  I paid 230k, which is $10, at Ba Ria Immigration in August.  Saigon Immigration (Nguyen Trai) quoted me the same amount. 

How did I miss that post?  I would've given him a stern talking-to had I known.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

What?  I paid 230k, which is $10, at Ba Ria Immigration in August.  Saigon Immigration (Nguyen Trai) quoted me the same amount. 

Brokers were advertisng on Facebook these prices.

My one year tourist visa falls outside this guideline (entry well before March 1st), have been doing 90 day extensions, paying $8MM each 90 extension.

Is there a better solution or vendor in Danang?

Any idea when VN will return to a longer solution?

I must admit not having to leave the country every 90, is nice and this cost is about what my expenses were to travel.

Ciambella wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

What I can't figure out is that almost all of the people that have a VEC are here with Vietnamese spouses.  Why don't they know it is so easy and inexpensive to do at immigration?  I don't even do it for mine.  My wife does it all for me so I don't have to go or even try to talk with someone about it.  It is a bit strange that one doesn't need to present him or herself to get the stamp - only the passport and VEC.

Yes, you are right. In case the foreigners living in Vietnam with their Vietnamese spouse, instead of living under a VEC which needs to be extended every 6 months, they may choose to obtain a Temporary residence card TT which is valid for up to 3 years. And during these 3 years, they are not required to pay any fee for a stay extension.
In addition, since January 1, 2021, the foreigners being spouses of Vietnamese citizens are eligible for the Vietnam work permit exemption.

colinoscapee wrote:

Latest information.

Extensions

Dear friends. my name is Patrick 
I am a foreigner with a Vietnam wife and we live in district 7 Ho Chi Ming. Due to marriage in Vietnam i already hold a visa exemption waiver in my passport. My work takes me around Asia and currently I have been stranded in Sri Lanka for last 8 months  as with some  of you there in Vietnam with no obvious way to  get home to Vietnam to be with my family . I have visited the Vietnam consulate 3 times here and all I get from them is Gov not allowing foreigner husbands  entry to Vn even with a visa exemption in passport .
Can anyone give me advice on how I can get back into Vietnam so that I  can be with my family there. or  if anyone has any idea when an opportunity will arise that will allow me to travel home.
many thanks .

SteinNebraska wrote:

What I can't figure out is that almost all of the people that have a VEC are here with Vietnamese spouses.  Why don't they know it is so easy and inexpensive to do at immigration?  I don't even do it for mine.  My wife does it all for me so I don't have to go or even try to talk with someone about it.  It is a bit strange that one doesn't need to present him or herself to get the stamp - only the passport and VEC.

I think Immigration treats VEC differently because it's not a visa, it's a long term exemption.  The certificate is adhered to the passport so there's actually no need for the holder to show up.

Immigration didn't even want our photos even though that was the requirement as per the instruction page.  Later on, I learned that the photos were asked only because *some* people have their VEC by itself instead of keeping it as part of the passport (why?)

patmcgin2001 -- No one knows if or when VEC holders will be allowed to enter the country.  I have a feeling it will not happen until the door is opened again to all.

Ciambella wrote:

patmcgin2001 -- No one knows if or when VEC holders will be allowed to enter the country.  I have a feeling it will not happen until the door is opened again to all.

If the embassy is telling you NO, then that's pretty much how things are at the moment.

colinoscapee wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

If the embassy is telling you NO, then that's pretty much how things are at the moment.

Well noted Colin have a great week ahead mate

Ciambella wrote:

Thanks Ciambella.  I also have a feeling that's also not coming very soon,  as all countries seem to be on the same page following the same narrative.
I read recently Vn gov opened up their borders to I  think 5 countries  but obviously husbands trying to get home to their Vietnam families are not a priority ha ha , anyway its been 8 months , I am good for a few months more .  A

Ciambella wrote:

Appreciate the feedback Ciambella.  I  am good for a few months more ha ha ( I am not really , whats the point of being a husband if one cant stand beside ones wife when he is needed)

colinoscapee wrote:

Latest information.

Extensions

Just seen this:

Notice on Automatic stay extension

until 31st December 2020.

Just back from visiting my long standing, trusted & respected Visa Agent & please forgive me if you see this post as rumor mongering but I had already heard a snippet & got it confirmed today that as of next month no more tourist visa extensions all foreigners here on tourist visa's must leave. Now not sure if this is the free extensions finishing or the "bought through an agent" ones. Also she said something about Biz visa's with Visa agent as sponsor having to leave too but that bit was a bit vague for me cos I dont know anything about Biz Visas.
Now please dont get on to me for posting this without official clarification or links to gov sites its just what I heard from a very trustworthy Agent that has never let me down in the past & I am sure that there will be members who can clarify, confirm or not what I heard.

I don't mind hearing Rumors and Gossip.  :top:
All good with me especially with caveats.
We don't need to fear "misinformation" police, do we?

gobot wrote:

Just back from visiting my long standing, trusted & respected Visa Agent & please forgive me if you see this post as rumor mongering but I had already heard a snippet & got it confirmed today that as of next month no more tourist visa extensions all foreigners here on tourist visa's must leave. Now not sure if this is the free extensions finishing or the "bought through an agent" ones. Also she said something about Biz visa's with Visa agent as sponsor having to leave too but that bit was a bit vague for me cos I dont know anything about Biz Visas.
Now please dont get on to me for posting this without official clarification or links to gov sites its just what I heard from a very trustworthy Agent that has never let me down in the past & I am sure that there will be members who can clarify, confirm or not what I heard.

As an update on my post in bold. I had a PM from a forum member this morning about my post & if I had an update. So I contacted my long standing & trusted agent (name begins with nan S & ends with an I) & this is the latest from them & its as usual in Vietnam all changed.

1 months paid for tourist visa extension is available & through agent & obtained through immigration in  HCMC...................125usd................through Hanoi............65usd.

3 months paid for tourist visa extension is now available again for people who entered Vietnam through Moc Bai or Tan Son Nhat ....350usd other entries places cant do the 3 months extension.
So this is basically word for word from my Agent anyways. I did not ask for details on the free extensions given to people who got here 1st April & on.
Just remember, this is one agents quotes & as we all know tomorrow it could be all change!!

goodolboy wrote:
gobot wrote:

As an update on my post in bold. I had a PM from a forum member this morning about my post & if I had an update. So I contacted my long standing & trusted agent (name begins with nan S & ends with an I) & this is the latest from them & its as usual in Vietnam all changed.

1 months paid for tourist visa extension is available & through agent & obtained through immigration in  HCMC...................125usd................through Hanoi............65usd.

3 months paid for tourist visa extension is now available again for people who entered Vietnam through Moc Bai or Tan Son Nhat ....350usd other entries places cant do the 3 months extension.
So this is basically word for word from my Agent anyways. I did not ask for details on the free extensions given to people who got here 1st April & on.
Just remember, this is one agents quotes & as we all know tomorrow it could be all change!!

Thanks for the update.

Yeah also, I hope you don't mind me clarifying that each agent is free to charge whatever they want, so the price you reported is simply the price that agent will charge.

Also, my three months extension of my DN Business Visa (US Citizen) on December 2nd was less than $200 by my agent in Hanoi.

For whatever reasons, the government charges more for citizens of some countries, and the agents (of course) pass that on.

Now my visa expires on March 2nd.

Cheers!

Also, my three months extension of my DN Business Visa (US Citizen) on December 2nd was less than $200 by my agent in Hanoi.

my last 3 months extension was 235usd from the same agent (my trusted one) . Something has changed in the mean time obviously.

I have been offered a new one year tourist visa for US passport by HCM agent for the princely sum of $1350. If I accept this offer, is there a chance this visa will be fake? Or does he have connections that other agents don't have?

As I was walking in the backpacker district, another agent called out to me that he could get me a one year visa, and he even said he could get me a 2 year VEC !! VEC for $1500.

The VEC sounds pretty dodgy to me as I don't qualify for one.

Current charges for visas granted to foreigners, Vietnamese citizens holding foreign passports. 

Fees:

+ Issuance of single-entry visa: 45 USD

+ Issuance of multiple-entry visa: 50 USD for a visa less than 03 month;  95 USD for a visa from 03 month to less than 06 months;  135 USD for a visa from 06 months to 01 year; 145 USD for a visa from 01 year to 02 years; 155 USD for a visa from 02 year to 05 years; 25 USD for a visa granted to under 14 children (validity is not counted).         

+ Transferring the validity of visas, temporary residence cards from an expired passport to a new passport: 05 USD

- Name of application form: Declaration Form for visa, stay extension for temporary residence foreigners in Vietnam (form NA5).

From   
https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/en/tin-tuc/ … rs-vietnam

hyagly256 wrote:

As I was walking in the backpacker district, another agent called out to me that he could get me a one year visa, and he even said he could get me a 2 year VEC !! VEC for $1500.

It will be a TRC, its the latest option given to expats. A TRC is around 150-200 usd for 3 years if you do it yourself. So you can see its a big money spinner. It is under the table and not legal, basically the same as the business visa many people have been getting for years. Eventually they will do another crackdown, expats will be caught, agents will survive.

Today my agent in Hanoi confirmed that there will be no more automatic extensions given by the government after the month of December.

I know of at least one person who has a one-year tourist visa that expires toward the end of January.

If people in a similar situation do not pay for an extension in the month of January for their permission to stay, they will be subject to overstay penalties unless they can give definitive proof to the government that they have been attempting actively to leave the country but have been unable to.

How weather tomorrow in the need to submit for the extension before December 31st...tomorrow.

hyagly256 wrote:

I have been offered a new one year tourist visa for US passport by HCM agent for the princely sum of $1350. If I accept this offer, is there a chance this visa will be fake? Or does he have connections that other agents don't have?

There is every chance in the world that a new tourist visa will be fake, since the government of Vietnam is not allowing tourists to enter the country, and that would need to be certified, and you would had to have gone through a 14-day quarantine. Seriously this is 100% illegal

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Today my agent in Hanoi confirmed that there will be no more automatic extensions given by the government after the month of December.

You see the latest post by Johnny Le Manh Hung, it just changes by the hour now, not by the week!!

hyagly256 wrote:

And the downside of a VEC is you still need to do a border run, and the borders are still closed

goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

You see the latest post by Johnny Le Manh Hung, it just changes by the hour now, not by the week!!

I think it was last post was taken down.

What did it say on topic, other than advertising his services?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I know of at least one person who has a one-year tourist visa that expires toward the end of January.

If people in a similar situation do not pay for an extension in the month of January for their permission to stay, they will be subject to overstay penalties unless they can give definitive proof to the government that they have been attempting actively to leave the country but have been unable to.

How weather tomorrow in the need to submit for the extension before December 31st...tomorrow.

A guy just mentioned he was told the same thing about no more extensions. He went to immigration in Ba Ria and they confirmed the story is false.

colinoscapee wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

A guy just mentioned he was told the same thing about no more extensions. He went to immigration in Ba Ria and they confirmed the story is false.

Well I guess that's good news but it would be nice to see an official announcement that there are Now official free automatic extensions into January.

They've been posting those monthly, so it's about time today that they post a new one for January.

I don't think anybody has seen that yet.

Remember, I'm not saying there are no more extensions.

I'm saying that from now on you have to pay for an extension.

There are no more automatic extensions given out by the government.

And since you're hearing this 2nd hand, I wonder if that's what he specifically asked about?

"And since you're hearing this 2nd hand, I wonder if that's what he specifically asked about?"

Wouldnt this be the same as the info you receive, secondhand from your agent.

colinoscapee wrote:

"And since you're hearing this 2nd hand, I wonder if that's what he specifically asked about?"

Wouldnt this be the same as the info you receive, secondhand from your agent.

Sure.

But In context, I knew exactly what my agent was saying.

She wasn't talking about all extensions.

She was talking specifically about automatic free extensions when she wrote:

VVVOA wrote:

"Anyway, automatic extension will be ended by the end of the year"

So I'm just saying, unless your guy specified exactly which type of Visa he asked about, there's room to clarify his information.

And of course, I'd love to see an official government link that addresses this directly, either stating that there will be no more free automatic extensions, or perhaps, proving me wrong and announcing that there will be another round of free extensions automatically given in January.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Well I guess that's good news but it would be nice to see an official announcement that there are Now official free automatic extensions into January.

They've been posting those monthly, so it's about time today that they post a new one for January.

I don't think anybody has seen that yet.
Remember, I'm not saying there are no more extensions.

I've been watching the https://xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn site for these notices monthly. They NEVER post the new extension policy until the first or second day of the next month, after the old extension has expired. So by the time they tell you the policy it's too late for you to make other plans and avoid overstay, you're already in overstay. Up until now, it's been okay because they keep extending to the end of the next month...

How can you make plans when they don't tell you their policy until it's too late?

hyagly256 wrote:

How can you make plans when they don't tell you their policy until it's too late?

:unsure You get a crystal ball and gamble?

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

It was a long post but one part was that people who entered on tourist visa after 1st April on e visa etc can automatically have their visa extended to June 2021conditional on having stamped proof of address & health form filled in or words to that extent. People who entered before 1st April on tourist visa could have same extension to June but needed a letter from embassy & thats about all I can remember.

goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

It was a long post but one part was that people who entered on tourist visa after 1st April on e visa etc can automatically have their visa extended to June 2021conditional on having stamped proof of address & health form filled in or words to that extent. People who entered before 1st April on tourist visa could have same extension to June but needed a letter from embassy & thats about all I can remember.

It looks like that post was also removed. If you read it really closely it didn't say 2021. It said 2020. It was a copy and paste of old information that was good back in June. He's really just spamming us now to keep himself and his company services at the top of notifications.

That's a shame really, because in the past he's made a number of posts that were very helpful to people.