Menu
Expat.com

visa run after 3 years of tourist

Last activity 03 February 2023 by Jackson4

mikebrant1973

any one know what to do for visa run....almost 3 years with tourist visa,,,have someone extent over 3 years?

Richard Yan

Me too. My 3 years is may2021. Appreciate some answers.  Thanks.

GuestPoster170

After 3 years you have to leave the country for one day and come back to the PH and ask a new visa. Now if you do that with covid you will not be allowed to come back until the tourists are allowed to come to the PH. If you overstay... you will be fined and maybe more !

Richard Yan

Can't leave phillipines at this moment. Hopefully next year 2021 can.

lasvegan

Just do live chat with your countries consulate or embassy and ask them. Many in the same boat! Last time this happened to me they said that they were waiving the penalties for those who reported to them prior to visas exparation date! Just keep copy of your live chat as that speeds up the process when you report in person for extention later.
It will have date and time and who you chatted with!!!!

Lasvegan

mikebrant1973

by the immigration office in manila you can ask for extra stay behind the 3 years due the pandemic.
need to make letter to commissioner and pay fee,,,,,,,,can someone verified this   in immigration ?

mikebrant1973

richard i am same like you my 3 years finish on may 2021,,,,,,let me know if you have news

AaronAardvark

There is danger here.  Using a visa run to restart after 36 months of stay was never really an approved method.  Yes, a zillion people did it but if Immigration really wanted to allow for more than 36 months they would have just removed the 36 month limit.  There has been talk for a very long time about doing away that "workaround".  This might be the ideal time for them to do this now.
At this point, the only thing to do if you are close to 36 months is to contact Immigration and see if they are willing to do a further extension due to pandemic.  They may continue to ignore the practice but it doesn't help much if you cannot reenter the country when SRRV (single) holders are still not allowed to enter.

mikebrant1973

[Post under review]

Soonretired
AaronAardvark wrote:

There is danger here.  Using a visa run to restart after 36 months of stay was never really an approved method.  Yes, a zillion people did it but if Immigration really wanted to allow for more than 36 months they would have just removed the 36 month limit.  There has been talk for a very long time about doing away that "workaround".  This might be the ideal time for them to do this now.
At this point, the only thing to do if you are close to 36 months is to contact Immigration and see if they are willing to do a further extension due to pandemic.  They may continue to ignore the practice but it doesn't help much if you cannot reenter the country when SRRV (single) holders are still not allowed to enter.

its not a "workaround" and IS approved. you are to leave the country after the 36 months and you are following the law if you leave.The only way to change that would be to place a limit on how often you can visit the phiilippines..Due to tourism being a major source of business for hotels and resorts etc it seems highly unlikely the country would make a law limiting how often you are allowed to visit or to say you have to "stay away" for a long period of time if you visit before you are allowed to come back.( besides that would seem very very strange and unwelcoming lol) They are not "ignoring the practice" it is a practice the govt. here has put in place. it would be nice if they just let husbands and wives of filipinos live here without having to pay and pay and visit offices etc non-stop. if anyone from anywhere in the world marries an american they are treated like americans.i wish spouses here were treated like filipinos too.
maybe one day ( :

AaronAardvark

I disagree.  Find one "official" place where it is documented that this is allowed and I will believe it.  Yes, I am well aware that a zillion people have done it without a problem.  What is the purpose of a 36 month limit if people can simply take a half day return trip and start over?  I believe that this practice could be terminated at the whim of an Immigration official without a law change.  And other courtiers with similar boarder run practices do in fact limit how many times you can enter.

TeeJay4103

I just spoke to a guy in Northern Luzon last night.  He said the BI quoted him 28,000P for 2 months. His 36 months are nearly up.

Richard Yan

?? 28000peso? Don't understand.

AaronAardvark
Richard Yan wrote:

Visa about to expire, no way to currently do boarder run, someone willing to take P28000 to fix the problem for two months.

TeeJay4103
Richard Yan wrote:

Another guy was about to overstay his three years on his tourist visa and got a 2 month extension earlier this month. He paid 21,000P

Richard Yan

Dont overstay.  Then u don't pay so much.

AaronAardvark
Richard Yan wrote:

Dont overstay.  Then u don't pay so much.

So what do you do if you wish to stay/return to the Philippines when your 36 months are up?  You can leave to avoid the overstay.  Otherwise, how does anyone at 36 months "not overstay"?

TeeJay4103

Here's what I have so far on 9a tourist visa 36 month overstay.

Two expats say they overstayed and went to the BI and paid fines and both received 2 months extensions to 38 months.   One said he was charged 28,000P and the other was charged 21,000P.   Either corruption or a difference in the overstay time.

I just now received this from another expat who has not overstayed and is applying for an extension under the guidelines he was given from the BI in Cagayon de Oro area.
He is married and is using his marriage as a reason to be granted the two month extension.   Cost was not mentioned yet.
From the BI in Cagayon de Oro:

REQUIREMENTS FOR OVERSTAYING
1. Original VALID Passport
2. Two (2) copies Notarized Letter Request addressed to the BI Commissioner Jaime H. Morente stating the reason of delayed extension
3. Two (2) Visa Extension forms (Originally fill out)
4 One (1) ARP form with 2x2 picture no eyeglasses with white background
5 Two (2) copies Photocopy of VALID passport biopage, latest arrival and latest extension / official receipt.
6. Any supporting documents pertaining to the reason of delayed extension (i.e. outbound ticket, medical certificate, etc.)

The reported costs to this point are in the 20 to 28,000P range.  Though I would suggest checking your local BI office and see what they say about the cost to you.

AaronAardvark

So problem remains.  Assuming the expat is not married, and is at 35.5 months into their visa, what can be done?  If the BI will continue to give 2 month extension until the travel situation returns to near normal, the problem is mute but if they don't continue to extend, what can be done?  I don't have a 36 month restriction so I can't really ask BI about it.  Someone who is getting close to 36 months needs to ask.

TeeJay4103
AaronAardvark wrote:

So problem remains.  Assuming the expat is not married, and is at 35.5 months into their visa, what can be done?  If the BI will continue to give 2 month extension until the travel situation returns to near normal, the problem is mute but if they don't continue to extend, what can be done?  I don't have a 36 month restriction so I can't really ask BI about it.  Someone who is getting close to 36 months needs to ask.

My post with the BI questionnaire was from a guy in Cagayon de Oro who is nearing the end of his 36 month extension period.
He is married.  If I hear more firsthand from single guys, I will be happy to share it.

Richard Yan

Thanks for bro for your reply. I think it's money problem.  Just pay.

mikebrant1973

can you be clear? the 28k is because over stay?

TeeJay4103
mikebrant1973 wrote:

can you be clear? the 28k is because over stay?

Here is what I was told from two different people who requested an extension before their visa expiration date.

correct on the overstay issue, my friend applied for 6 got 2 , paid15k for Motion to reconsider, then roughly 6 to 7 k for ACR card renewal and 2 months extension, all in all 21 to 22k

I applied for extra 6 mo.... Got 2. Cost 21k

CrazeeErik
Richard Yan wrote:

This pandemic has made it easier for certain government employees to make a few extra pesos, in this case 28000 of them. I can bet you anything that this is not legal and if held up to scrutiny say from another immigration office or official that it won't pass.

AaronAardvark

If the two examples are really at the end of 36 months the price is probably fair. The law had been pretty clear prior to COVID, get out or do a visa run. If they are allowing people to extend that, it is good news even if there is a high price. Simply put, pay up, get a different visa or leave.

bigpearl
AaronAardvark wrote:

If the two examples are really at the end of 36 months the price is probably fair. The law had been pretty clear prior to COVID, get out or do a visa run. If they are allowing people to extend that, it is good news even if there is a high price. Simply put, pay up, get a different visa or leave.

Yep exactly. I asked about the 2 month visa extension beyond 3 years some time ago at my local BI office, Yes sir PHP 25K but it may not be granted,,, non refundable,,, what even given the covid lockdowns/issues? Yes sir, up to Manila office. And after that 2 months? I like many that live here these days and have little or nothing in my/their home country except hefty accomodation and living costs......... For me? while we are all different I will unfortunately have to look at the SRRV program offered by the PRA.

18 months left on my renewable tourist visa raises worries, if in 12 months the Philippines is still in the same situation,  I can leave but can't return, possibly the rest of the world given the new variant.
If nothing changes I will be forced to leave the country in 18 months or,,,,,,,, in 12 months apply for an SRRV so I can stay home.
On my mind but time to wait.

Cheers, Steve.

GuestPoster170

If he's married 13a

stumpednomore

I've been here 16 years and ignored immigration once I got my 13A visa except to do an annual report and replace my ACR-I card every five years. When I first moved here I had to buy a visa extension every 2 months till I started leaving the country once a year with my wife. Returning with her got me a balikbayan pass for a free year with no trips to immigration.

Leaving every year was fun, I love Singapore, but expensive. Is that what we're calling a "visa run"? I never heard of the three year tourist visa, did they replace the every-two-months tourist visa with a 3 year?

Anyway, if you're married to a Filipina just get the 13A visa and it's good for the life of your marriage. It's a hassle to get but not that hard, it's worth the trouble, unless they've changed the rules a lot since I got mine.

bigpearl

You are correct stumpednomore, it's not a 3 year visitor visa. it's renewable every 2 months or in Manila you can get 2 x 6 month extensions and the balance every 2 months over a 3 year period from what I have read.
With all that in mind you can renew every 2 months for a period of 3 years and then have to leave the country, return and start the ball rolling again. Covid has dampened this process for many as they are unable to return.

Yep, If I were married to a PH. national I'd be the first in line for a 13a.
Today while renewing my 2 monthly extension (normally a 10, max 15 minute job) I had to wait an extra 45 minutes for them to get the current US exchange rates for my ACR card renewal as the set fee is 50 US dollars for some ungodly reason, why not just say it's PHP 2,500.00 and be done with it.
I'm just glad I didn't go in at 8 am when they open or I would have been waiting nearly 2 hours....... something wrong with that system.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

stumpednomore

Yeah, that $50 USD fee, hilarious. Especially if you're from Greece or Pakistan etc. Thanks for the details. Hopefully my 13A doesn't expire, I'm too old for all that traveling.

Another good laugh: "Express lane fee". No express lane, no express service, no meaning, just a fee. Had to pay it twice to get my ACR-I card renewed the 2nd time. And the best one was my conversion to the Catholic religion. Yeah, I slept through the lectures but my wife listened carefully for me, we were the only two there. She wanted us to have a Catholic wedding. I was afraid I'd have to do it all over since I kept falling asleep, but in the end it was as easy as taking a nap, all I had to do was pay an "express fee" of P500 and presto chango! I'm a Catholic.

Once the wedding was well past and my wife got used to the idea that church puts me instantly to sleep, I was able to more or less get it across to her that when I'd said early in our online chats that "I am a Buddhist" I sort of wasn't joking. Now I only go to church for funerals, and only for people I can actually remember meeting.

bigpearl

Every thing else is in Pesos but not the ACR1, go figure yesterday it cost me PHP 2,504.00 what are they going to do if the US dollar drops by a large margin? Let's hope it never happens same for my Aussie dollar but........

BTW. Buddhism îs the best choice and typically control comes into play from narrow mindedness. Sorry other that you had to play their game.

OMO.

Cheers, Steve.

AaronAardvark

Convert to Jewish and get circumcised (again)

Calif-Native

You can get a 9A visa with a special exemption based on proof the child is yours and you support it.  The child will require Philippine passport, Brgy Certification that the child is a resident in that brgy, letter from the mother and the birth cert from NSO with your name as the father. 

For sure, you can get this from outside the Philippines and you need to send the request to your nearest Consulate from your home country.  If you try to do it while in the PI, it will be harder and if you go the extension past 36 months, it will cost more than the above visa and only give you a few months more.

onefogarty

I am not married but my son is Filipino. I have a certified copy of his birth certificate. My name as his father is on his birth certificate. If I take this birth certificate to a BI office, should I apply for a 9A visa? What are the costs of this visa? Advantages?
I’m here as tourist, with 2 years of extensions left .

Calif-Native

As a friend just went thru this process as he stayed at my home in California, it took about 25 days once all docs and application was approved.  I have outlined what is required and I suggest you get the items I listed and then go to BI with the application filed out.   It is possible they will tell you it can't be processed in country but it is worth a try.   

This 9A visa requires a special DFA endorsement but you will not get anywhere if you don't have him get a Philippine passport and the support letter I already listed.  The certified NSO birth certificate alone is not enough.  The process fee in the USA was a $35 postal MO and a return prepaid with an approved carrier to the address you provide.  Again, not sure if this will work if you are here in the PI.

Follow this link to understand what is required: https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/c … r-business

There will be tons of things they will ask for including tax returns and proof of income and US bank account amount(s).  This question is not answered with a simple yes, go to the BI with a birth Cert.

onefogarty
Calif-Native wrote:

As a friend just went thru this process as he stayed at my home in California, it took about 25 days once all docs and application was approved.  I have outlined what is required and I suggest you get the items I listed and then go to BI with the application filed out.   It is possible they will tell you it can't be processed in country but it is worth a try.   

This 9A visa requires a special DFA endorsement but you will not get anywhere if you don't have him get a Philippine passport and the support letter I already listed.  The certified NSO birth certificate alone is not enough.  The process fee in the USA was a $35 postal MO and a return prepaid with an approved carrier to the address you provide.  Again, not sure if this will work if you are here in the PI.

Follow this link to understand what is required: https://www.philippineconsulatela.org/c … r-business

There will be tons of things they will ask for including tax returns and proof of income and US bank account amount(s).  This question is not answered with a simple yes, go to the BI with a birth Cert.

Sounds pretty easy actually thanks

stormylake
@AaronAardvark

The law doesn't officially say I can invite you to dinner, but it doesn't prohibit it, either. There is no official proclamation that I can kiss my girlfriend, but as long as she consents and is of legal age, there are no laws to prevent it, either. Hence, either of these acts are legal.

Laws and regulations don't have to be written to officially allow things. Many laws tell you what you cannot do, without explicitly or officially telling you what you can do.

To believe that a visa run is illegal, you would have to believe that officials are unaware of it or are choosing to ignore it. That doesn't seem credible. Or you could take the position that officials are aware of it, but for years and years, have made no laws or regulations to prohibit it. That seems more believable. In this case, it's legal.

Could the law be changed? Of course it could. But the discussion is whether it is legal now.   
richard frazier

@Richard Yan if you are married file a 13a

richard frazier

@mikebrant1973 if you are married to filipina 13a

AaronAardvark

@stormylake Makes sense, except who have the 36 month limit at all?  I can't think of another place that allows a tourist vista to last forever.  I believe they know this is a money making thing for BI and they are OK with ignoring the original intent.

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles