Cost of living in Taiwan - Taipei vs Taitung

Hey guys

I'm planning to move to Taiwan once this whole covid thing blows over.  Wanted to know what th cost of living would be, especially the difference between a larger city like Taipei compared to somewhere on the east coast

I have a bit of investments and my plan would be to use the income from those, and maybe teach English on the side (as that seems to be the go to job for expats)

Welcome to the forum
Try www.numbeo.com for living costs

stumpy wrote:

Welcome to the forum
Try www.numbeo.com for living costs

Thanks but I'm looking for a more general impression from people who have perhaps lived in both.  I've been around Taipei the most so I get the feeling how much it would cost to get by and wanted to know how much of a gap, if any, there is

I couldn't begin to go through spread sheets about what my weekly consumption of cheese is going to be...  (it will be significant)

I've only ever lived in Taipei but it's the only place I would really consider if I were to move there again. The outer parts of Taipei can be quite a bit less expensive, especially older places. Have you also worked out which visa you will be getting? In fact, do they allow anyone to just go and live there (for more than 3 months) and teach English on the side? Sounds great if that's possible.

Shill88 wrote:

I've only ever lived in Taipei but it's the only place I would really consider if I were to move there again. The outer parts of Taipei can be quite a bit less expensive, especially older places. Have you also worked out which visa you will be getting? In fact, do they allow anyone to just go and live there (for more than 3 months) and teach English on the side? Sounds great if that's possible.

I'm planning to just visa jump and teach illegally