Menu
Expat.com

New members of the Belize forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Last activity 28 November 2021 by joshefbd48

steve91325

My wife and I are planning to drive to belize in 5 years from California. We will bring our dog with us. Wondering on the best and safest route to belize.
Steve

Julia and Steven

Howdy all.  We are a married couple, with grown children.  It's time to live OUR LIVES now.  We are from America and planning to move abroad in a few years.  Just looking to get to know people in the desitinations we are interested in.  We want to hear the good, bad, and the ugly.  Thanks.

steve91325

Hiya Julia and Steven
welcome to the forum I am also a newbie to the forum planning to drive from California in 5 years

mjenkinson

Investigating the benefits and challenges of moving to Belize from Canada. Appreciate if any Canadians living in Belize would connect. Any good sources of accurate info about the process, the challenges, the lifestyle realities etc....
Thanks
Michael

nmusgrove

Hello. New to the forum. My husband and I are planning a trip to Belize to check things out. Suggestions on accomodations near the beach. Area to look, hotel v. resort, transportation, etc. Any info is appreciated!

karenjoe

Hello and welcome to the forum.
First, you need to decide where in Belize. Mainland is different from the cayes in terms of beaches. Cayes are different from each other. Depends on what you are looking for. If you are considering relocating, spend some time looking at different areas. Belize is small but not easy to get around. Takes me about 90 minutes to get from the airport to Belmopan and then halfway down Hummingbird Hwy. The speed limit is just a suggestion as you will see. If you rent a car on the mainland - Crystal.  If you are going from the airport to Caulker or Ambregris, I would fly Maya Air, not the water taxi. Just as cheap. Renting a golf cart on the cayes - just pick one basically. No cars available/allowed really. I would probably opt for a 'resort'. There are a number available on the mainland as well as the cayes. Explore. Enjoy yourself!

rumakerrhit

Hi everyone!!!!!!   Looking to spend three months in the Hopkins area to get our feet wet and see if Belize is indeed the place for us.  Can anyone point us in the direction of short/long term rentals around Hopkins.   Thank you in advance 💜

Spencer Kane

Good morning! 

As I venture onto this forum for the first time, I am a bit overwhelmed with what I don't know about Belize or living there.  I have done a considerable amount of "research" over the last 6 months and have forgotten most of what I have may have learned.  cool.png  That said, my wife and I will be traveling from Oklahoma to Belize in three weeks to begin our search for a new phase of life in a new land.  So much to see, so much to do.  I look forward to reading all of your past posts for deep background and special insights.  I have no specific questions at this point but really just wanted to say, "Hello" and thanks in advance for any guidance proffered.

Until that time,

Spencer

rumakerrhit

Hi Spencer, we are new to this forum as well.  We are heading down from Michigan around September to check out the few areas we want to experience before deciding where to land.  We are going to stay for about 3 months.  So nervous because as you said so much information to take in. 

Lori-Ann

BioNerds

Hi all, Genevieve and Chris here.  I'm South African and my husband is Belgian. We are both biologists and currently live in Belgium with our 3 furkids. Chris lived in South Africa for 7 years, and I've been in Belgium for nearly 4, but we both want to get away from the rat race here in Europe. We are looking into either moving to Belize to start our own business (research and education based) or going back to SA to start it there. We love growing our own food, making our own soap, shampoo etc. and would do anything for a piece of paradise, rich in biodiversity & off the grid. Looking at the Cayo district, more specifically along the Hummingbird Highway. Can one find and purchase property directly from the owner, are must this be done through an agent? Hoping to come and have a look end Nov. to see if it could work for us. For those who have started their own businesses in Belize, was it very difficult? I guess it would depend on the line of work, but some insight would be much appreciated. Also, getting our fluffs to Belize...any ideas on best flights etc. coming from Europe? If we move it will only be in 2023, so I've got some time to plan! smile.png 

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Regards from a not-so-sunny Belgium

karenjoe

Hope you are well. I might be able you with some information.
Yes, you can buy directly from the property owner. If you do, you need to enlist a licensed attorney or title company in Belize to ensure there is clear title to the property, and that you are dealing with the actual property owner. There have been instances where an individual sold a piece of property that did not belong to them. We have property on the Hummingbird, near the Stann Creek-Cayo border.
Flights - in general, fly in and out on a weekday to minimize time in Belize customs lines, although it was pretty busy this week. If you are going to Ambergris or Caulker, I would fly Maya air - cheaper, faster, easier than a water-taxi.
If you have some capital, Belize is wide open for business. You can read about business restrictions on the government website.
Good luck in your venture.

BioNerds

Thanks so much for the info! smile.png

SondyK

I should have introduced myself, sorry! I'm Sandy, my husband Randy are I are moving from Wisconsin to Belize in September, we are driving down with another couple. We have purchased land on the water to build on in Corozal Town. We are retiring and getting off the hamster wheel here in the US! I may do some online work to keep busy but looking forward to the next chapter in our lives. We have no fur babies but will get them in Belize! I'm so grateful for the community and the welcome feel of Belize. Thank you for any insight and advice in advance.

keaneggett

Hi new friends,
I'm currently living in Los Angeles and my wife and I are moving to Belize in January.  We purchased some land near Sarteneja and are planning on homesteading there while we build some casitas to rent out at some point.  My wife's mom, aunt, and grandma (All from Belize) will be living with us on that land eventually, so we have a great safety net down there already but I still have a lot of questions about the logistics of moving down, as well as buying/building a house, living off grid, and just the history and culture of Belize in general.

I started a podcast a few weeks ago called Radio Duende, where I learn about Belize and share some stories. It's still in its infancy and very raw, but feel free to look it up on Spotify or wherever. If you have any true stories about the supernatural or unexplainable while in Belize, please tell me!

Thanks for the advice I'll no doubt get.  Hope to see you soon!

Amy5000

Did the two if you make it to Belize?  I've been here for several months and would like to connect with other Expats.

Amy5000

I have been in Corozal for several months.  Would you like to connect?

Amy5000

I moved from Texas to Corozal Town about two months ago.  I work online.  I have had trouble with building a social network, particularly since the Mexico Freezone has been closed.  I am seeking to move further south.  I visited San Ignacio and liked it.  However, i would like to check out more areas before making a decision.  I would also like to speak with other expats about their experiences.

moxie847

I am in the process of buying real estate and have hired Ryan Wrobel.  He has offices in Belize City and San Pedro.  He seems honest and knowledgeable.

suisunali

amy5000 I sent you a PM

sdelong8188

Hi Jim and wife, I’m interested in a month or so rental in that area, haven’t been for five years and I’m hoping it’s still a quaint village! I am planning to kick back and just enjoy… but possibly will be solo… safe clean month or so long rentals you would guide me towards? And… I struggled to find a good wine when visiting last time lol! My needs list is pretty simple. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks Steph

chrlkomp

What is safest route thru mexico

cc72

My husband and I will becoming in sept.  What  route did you take through Mexico?

chrlkomp

Hey that's  the area we wanna rent in how can we find rentals before we come down

Basha Jo

Hello,

New here. Currently stuck in the US since March 15, 2020. I had planned to be living elsewhere by now but the world had other ideas.

I am researching places to move and hope to make that choice over the next year. I am making a list of possible locations to visit over that time. Belize is currently at the top of the list.

I retired early and do some freelancing and writing. Life is too short to spend it in an office for more hours a day than I care to admit.

Any and all tips, tricks, advice is welcomed.

Thank you,

Basha

Guest6598742

I made that move in March. Don't regret it for a nano second. The US is steadily going down the toilet thanks to the new government. What an embarrassment. San Pedro is great. The locals are amazing! We love it here. Come join us!

TexItalian

"The US is steadily going down the toilet thanks to the new government."
What a crock of shit! The US started going down in 2016, with that clown elected.
But yes, you'll fit right in with all the expat in AC...

Amy5000

Did anyone get back with you?  I have been renting in Corozal since April.  Yes, the only commercial airport is from Belize City which is about a 2 hour drive.  There are facebook pages for finding homes.  Most people drive around and see signs.  Just fyi, there are plenty rental and sale homes here. We stayed at Tonys Inn and found the current lease home in a week.

Aerodex
chrlkomp wrote:

If you want safe, fly down.

Brigitte B
chrlkomp wrote:

We cross at Del Rio/Ciudad Acuña. From there, Saltillo, San Luis Potosí, Queretaro, to Puebla via the Arco Norte, Villahermosa, then all the way to the Belize border cutoff ahead of Chetumal. Lots of  great condition toll roads, some spectacular scenery and an amazing amount of things and places to explore. We travel with two dogs and like to take our time!
We could not drive this summer due to CDC’s ban on dogs from Belize and due to our land border still being closed.

davidlawmartin

Hi, I am David. I found this site yesterday by accident. I am at maximum, still about six years out from moving to Belize. I have already been looking at the post and will probably chime in with questions as they come up.

Hudu Rauf

Am Hudu rauf a Ghanaian,am a diploma certificate holder,I have been teaching for the last 8years in Ghana and recently develop interest traveling  to Belize. am I welcomed?and if yes how do I get to Belize..I learned it is visa free but there isn't Belize embassy in Ghana so ,where do I start?

karenjoe

"List of Countries Not Requiring Belize Visa to Enter Belize - no visas for holders of Diplomatic & Official passports- Germany, Ghana, Greece,"  - from Belize.com site
It shouldn't be a problem to enter. Staying requires some effort and funds.

Elizabeth An Belló

If you stay on the toll roads you are good to go!

carolthecarpenter

Hello! My name is Carol. I have lived in and around Seattle, Washington my whole life, but I am getting ready to make a big change by moving to Belize when I retire at the beginning of 2022. I look forward to making connections in this forum to gain more knowledge about Belize and know some people before I get there.

recwanderer

Hi, my name is Randa - I’m headed to Belize next week and will stay a few months for a “scouting trip” as I’m hoping to move there long term VERY soon.  I’ve been to Ambergris Caye 3 times over the past 20 years for scuba diving, and loved it of course 😁 Ambergris Caye will be my first stop for at least a month and I plan to check out Placencia and Caye Caulker on this trip too.
Looking forward to learning more about living in Belize and meeting and getting to know other expats who are living there now!!

moxie847

Hi Randa,

Please post your observations and comparisons of the areas.  I've been to all 3 areas but only for shorter visits.  Will be interested in your impressions.

Margaret

dbn48127

Hello Everyone
My name is M. Janny and this is something NEW and Exciting for me. Especially after just visiting Belize for the first time. My plan is to come from the cold state of Michigan, USA to Belize starting December 1
st, 2021 for a stay of 3 months, maybe 4.....lol depending on the Northern Cold Winds. I found this site and I am hoping to gain much more reliable info. While I was in Belize I stayed at the Matachica Resort, it was awesome. That's when I realized I needed to return for a longer stay. I am planning everything now, for the near future.

davidsbrenchley

Check out https://www.airbnb.com/. Just don't reserve the one I'm hoping to ;-)

lateefatmagboola

Hi my name is Lateefat Motunrayo am a Nigerian,have been dreams of leaving and working in Belize for years while am not that luck.I will like to relocate to belize to leave and work there

gthompson206

Hello to All!! Heading to Belize 11/2021 to check it out as I am now a year into retirement. I laugh at my choice of early retirement during 2020 pandemic, but it was planned and I have no regrets. I elected a tour to give me some basic grounding but typically travel alone, utilizing hostels etc as I am your basic middle class gal. I am looking to make connections with ex-pats as I would like to return alone to Belize in the next 6 months. I spent a month in Costa Rico but left feeling uncertain. Any info is appreciated and I look forward to meeting and greeting: USA passport, fully support vaccinations, politically liberal, active, adventurous, and very friendly and open. No, this is not a personal ad....but I do have a quick wit and great sense of humor...g

Closed

Articles to help you in your expat project in Belize

• Using phones in Belize
    Using phones in Belize

Belize has a national telecommunications company, Belize Telemedia, Limited, and several mobile phone companies ...

• Connecting to the internet in Belize
    Connecting to the internet in Belize

Belize enjoys decent internet coverage. Unfortunately it is slow and expensive. The country has many internet ...

• How to drive in Belize
    How to drive in Belize

In Belize, you can drive with an international driver's license, and you can often drive with a license from ...

• Where's the Beef?
    Where's the Beef?

Before visiting Belize to determine if it was a country we could permanently relocate to, we did an awful lot of ...

• Sports in Belize
    Sports in Belize

Sport has always been a part of Belizean life. Although the country does not have a lot in terms of professional ...

• Banking in Belize
    Banking in Belize

Belize was once known to be a real banking haven, a place where banking secrecy was guaranteed. The situation ...

• Childcare and education in Belize
    Childcare and education in Belize

If you are moving to Belize with your family, you likely have questions about child care and education. There are ...

• Customs in Belize
    Customs in Belize

Every country regulates what can and cannot cross its borders to prevent the spread of disease, adhere to local ...

All of Belize's guide articles