Covid restrictions

Hello Geraldh,

We don't know for sure yet but the authorities are working towards opening borders with smoother control, perhaps eliminating quarantine for vaccinated passengers.

The PM highlighted few points in his speech to the nation on the occasion of Independence Day

Here is an excerp of his speech from the Government Information Services :

"• Despite the country being COVID-19-safe from May 2020 to March 2021, the local positive cases registered recently call upon bold quarantine and lockdown measures to be taken once again.

• The Prime Minister wished for the same discipline displayed during the last lockdown to slow and stop the spread of the virus.

• As soon as the majority of population is vaccinated, decisions concerning closure of borders will be reviewed.

• Revival of the tourism industry, an important economic pillars, is high on Government's agenda."

Hello everyone,

Hope you are doing well and safe.

The number of active cases has been decreasing since last time. Here are the latest figures :

450 patients considered cured have returned home.

417 cases recorded through Contact Tracing and sampling in COVID-19 Testing Centres.

- 120 cases recorded in quarantine (negative patients on admission).
- 37 cases registered following targeted screening.
- 6 deaths attributed to COVID-19.

The number of local active cases is 111.

The Prime Minister, Hon. Pravind Jugnauth will be addressing the nation in a bit more than 1 hour. His messages will be broadcasted live on different media. Will keep you posted.

Regards,
Anoushka

Hello again everyone,

The Prime Minister has announced that Phase 2 of reopening will be effective as from 1st May at 06H. Lockdown is gradually being uplifted as more activities will resume without restriction. However, some activities will still remain prohibited. Please note that nothing has been said on reopening of borders.

As from the 1st May (provided the situation concerning Covid-19 remains the same or improves), the following will apply :

https://i.ibb.co/whd1gPJ/translated.jpg

Thankyou Anoushka.

Hi Anoushka - Thanks for your update. Glad to see that you are getting on top of this situation.   
Trust Mauritius will get on UK's green list very soon and we can plan our visit.
We look forward to this happening very soon.
Regards & Stay safe everyone
Rick

thank you Anoushka.!!!

Thank you very much! Hopefully it is staying like this and getting better!
Our flight on the 6th of May got canceled.
So we hope to fly in in June!!! Fingers crossed!

Good to see that the new rules coming into effect on May 1st allow "Individual outdoor physical activities". As individual swimming in the sea and snorkelling are classified as outdoor activities (they even do not need the beach) will they be covered by the new rules? Is there any official comment/note available?

Kind regards
Henry

Hello Henry,

Good question, well, the beach, seaside and access to the sea etc remains closed. I don't think any water-based/nautical activity in the lagoon will be allowed. It could attract groups of people/crowds. However, I have some friends living by the seaside (not the highly frequented ones) and they did take a dip in the lagoon.

Can't recommend doing that but perhaps someone can shed the light on this matter.

Hello,

Is there any update on 1st June onwards restrictions?

Thanks,
Alexey

Hello everyone, i hope you are all fine.

This update was posted yesterday on the GIS FB page :

COVID-19: Second phase of reopening extended until 30 June 2021

• The High-Level Committee, as well as Cabinet, have decided to extend the second phase of reopening until 30 June 2021. However, the villages of Rivière des Anguilles and Tyack are no longer considered as Red Zones as from 18 00 hrs today. PCR tests were regularly carried out in those regions and as at date, all results are negative.

• The Minister of Health and Wellness, Dr Kailesh Kumar Singh Jagutpal, made this announcement this afternoon, at a press briefing of the National Communication Committee on COVID-19, at the New Treasury Building in Port-Louis.

• According to the Minister, 12 COVID-19 positive cases were registered last evening. The positive cases come from the following regions: Mesnil (2); Forest Side (2); Brisée Verdière (1); Lallmatie (1); Beau Bassin (2); Curepipe (3); and Quartier Militaire (1).

• Minister Jagutpal underlined that, since 23 May 2021, a total of 62 COVID-19 positive cases have been registered, out of which 33 cases were identified through the ongoing contact tracing exercise and four in COVID-19 Testing Centres. Random tests, he pointed out, are still being carried out by the authorities.

• Furthermore, he recalled that the positive cases from the Wastewater Management Authority and Vallée-Pitot are linked, adding that the strategy adopted by the authorities is yielding expected results. Dr Jagutpal also outlined that a decision will soon be announced regarding the resumption of school activities and that the priority remains the safety of children.

• With regards to Camp Diable and Bonne Terre, which are still considered as Red Zones, the Minister underscored that COVID-19 testing is still ongoing in those regions and that a decision will soon be announced.

• He also called for every citizen to abide by strict sanitary and precautionary measures, especially with Mother's Day celebrations on 30 May 2021.

Source : GIS

In short, it seems that due to the increasing number of local covid cases lately, we won't be going back to normal on 1st June. The second phase ,which we are actually in, is being extended till the 30th June.

Thanks Anoushka.  glad to see you are well and keeping us up to date with the latest.  Well - June 30 it is then.
Stay well/Keep safe everyone.
Rick

Morning.  Good to see some islands are starting to open up -

https://www.travelnews.co.za/article/se … ns-welcome

Now lest hope Mauritius follows their approach!

somebody sent me a very small article from a local mauritian paper today, stating that the border closure had been extended out to July 31st but I cannot find any other references to that fact anywhere else online. Perhaps it was a misprint, but does anybody have any further information or intel on the borders!?

My impression up to today is that nobody knows when the borders will open. The closure has indeed been extended to July 31st. I follow a facebook page called Mauritius in quarantine where people post useful infos and disagree about the dates of re-opening and the importance of being vaccinated.  I left Mauritius at the beginning of May and I am now in Europe. I have no idea when I will be able to go back.

That is true look on the GIS Facebook page

thanks!

you can also have a look at this page. https://www.mymauritius.travel/mauritius-travel-alerts
that was the page where you could book your quarantine hotel, but not possible at this moment due to the closed borders

thanks geraldh.

i am subscribed to the MTA site, but oddly the border extension has not been posted on there (yet).
best
stan

MAURITIUS RE-OPENS IT'S BORDERS - A Travel news alert

2 week quatantine still enforced from 15 July to 30 September.

From 1 October, no quarantine required for Vaccinated tourists, returning residents and citizens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbXtVAhHNAohttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol3cb1Fv9qIhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-OprLIlsTYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhbis6ftBm0