Retirement in Laos

I am looking for some advices as foreigner even though i am original from Laos and born in Laos from Lao parents. I have Canadian Citizenship since 40+.

I have replied to your other post. If your parents are still living or other Lao relatives they may be able to assist you with this.
There are companies in Laos who will assist you in getting a visa, setting up a business etc.

Imo, some of the best and most current info with questions like yours can be found on various fb groups for laos.  Most of them are very well moderated so no trolling is allowed.

Hi,

My name is May. Both my husband and I are Hmong who born in Laos and now are USA citizens. Both of us are at the retire age and want to go back to Laos and retire there, We need help with the process or how to start. Any help and advise will be appreciate.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum May.  :)

I suggest that you read through other posts here on the Lao forum for advice /  information.
I would also find out contact details of agencies in Vientiane who specialize in visas.
Do have relatives in Laos that might assist you.

Perhaps check out the American Embassy for information.

You can enter Laos on a 30 day tourist visa which can be renewed in Vientiane for a 2nd month. 
E visas are available online for US citizens.

Feel free to ask other questions here that members may assist you.

Hi May
Check out the (Laos) government web site for visas for native Laos citizens. The rules are different than for other people. The fact that you are Hmong , or US citizens is irrelevant to the government these days. I think retrieving to Laos is a good idea, as I did that 14 years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made.
Chris

@alicenmay.

How are things going with visa applications ? The borders are open now and any information may assist others. Thanks.
Government statement that as of 9th May visas are available at the border if you have jab certificate.
@snikrep65

Though vax no longer required if flying, apparently.

Just a rat test apparently, and I think that goes for land crossings as well.
Just a rat test apparently, and I think that goes for land crossings as well.
- @snikrep65

That's an apt description, but better stated would be an "experimental lab-rat test"
Rapid antigen test ??

Best we define it as some people may think it has something to do with rodents. 1f601.svg
Laos is a great place to visit however I personally would not want to live there year round.

I get it that some like the slow pace of life but it drives me nuts. Don't get me wrong, I like doing nothing as much as the next guy but times some things must get done.

Now perhaps if I could speak the language it would be easier to find the things I need.

I'm saying this as we built a house there ten or so years ago and it was a bit frustrating.  Now if you didn't have that on your plate and were just touring around great. Laos is beautiful in that regard.

Cheers, the fish.
@lamounarath

I am like you, born in Laos.  I currently live in France and I will return to Laos in October for my retirement.  I found a company that will help me to get a long-term visa (6 months or 1 year).  Everything is official and legal.

some years ago, heard that the government giving free citizenship to those who were borne in laos but when to other countries. has that been happening?

There is a Govt decree that will allow foreign nationals and people of Lao origin living overseas to have the opportunity to apply for permanent residency.

I suggest a Google search for more information about this.  There are companies such as J&C Services which deal in visas, permits etc.  there website is jclao.com   There are others as well.

Let us know how it goes.

if it's a government decree, why is it going through a private service? sounds fishy?

much appreciate the response

You can apply yourself through the Govt but it is time consuming and you are dealing with officials who are not geared up to get the job done.

There are many private firms in Vientiane who will get the visa done for you quicker. This has been done this way for years.

The Govt prefer it done this way too and the firms are approved to do so.

thanks for the info. Just skeptical of private firms doing government works, such as some private companies' schemes in America scamming people by saying they are collecting taxes for the IRS.

as a Laos permanent resident are you allowed to open businesses or commercial operations, and can you purchase land/property with yourself as owner of these assets?

have planned to semi-retire in my birth place or northern Laos.

If you were born in Laos then I think it would be no problem for you to undertake all that you have mentioned. However, I would recommend you undertake all of this through a company that specializes in this.

These companies know the ins and outs of what the relevant govt departments want and so expedite things.

Govt departments are not geared up to run things efficiently.

I suggest you consult a company to see how and if it can be done.