Moving to Ukraine just before the crisis

Hi everybody,

Taking the plunge and daring to move abroad is a real challenge, but when your move to Ukraine is marked by an unprecedented health, social and economic crisis, as we have been experiencing for just over a year, this change can be much more significant and demanding. If you moved to Ukraine shortly before or during the pandemic, we would like to know more about your experience.

When and under what circumstances did you move to Ukraine?

What impact did the restrictions have on your integration into the country?

Were you able to make new friends in your host country and get used to the new culture and environment?

Have you had the opportunity to discover the country or the region where you are staying despite that?

Do you feel "at home" in this new place?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

I moved to Ukraine in 2020 on a spousal visa. Covid has made it difficult to make friends in Lviv, and it is especially difficult to find those that speak English. The worst part is my employment in Canada and having to go back and forth for work. There are a lot of rules about Covid travel into Canada, and it is difficult to coordinate immunisations with Ukraine taking so long to give shots. So far I have my first dose in Canada, and hope to get the second 8 weeks later in Ukraine. But given the slow progress in Ukraine, I am not holding my breath.

Aside from Covid and difficult to make friends, and learn the language. It is also difficult to find employment as a person that only speaks English.

I moved to Ukraine in 2019. I was able to find work as a TEFL/TESOL English teacher. Through my teaching I've made many friends in Kyiv and have a good network of professionals who have been invaluable in helping me navigate the ins and outs of Ukraine.

I recently switched to working remotely for a US tech company (normal hours).  I was able to register with my family doctor here for the COIVD-19 vaccine and get my first jab this month. The entire process took about 10 minutes. My second dose will be in three weeks. One big impact of COVID is that it has limited my ability to travel outside of Ukraine.  On the plus side, I'm able to see and visit more of Ukraine.

I totally agree with the travel options outside of Ukraine. I have both shots and was fortunate to get them both Pfizer while I was back in Canada. I have concerns for my family in Ukraine and there options given that Pfizer is for specific people, and Sinovac is not recognized nearly anywhere.  I was disheartened to hear that Ukraine is using Sinovac and Zenica is starting to be pushed a little more regularly, but that is under scrutiny lately as a supposed second class vaccine.  Any ideas on where regular citizens in Ukraine can get the Pfizer shot?

I work for a company that was responsible for Pfizer being able to fast track their FDA approval for their RNA vaccine last year and I can't get it here in Kyiv. Sinovac vaccine is safe, the real question is its efficacy.  While there have been documented cases of people getting COVID after getting the Sinovac vaccine, the vast majority have had mild symptoms and few hospitalizations. The Sinovac vaccine has been approved by the WHO for emergency use. At this point, options in Ukraine are limited. You have to ask yourself, do you want some protection or no protection? There have been rumors that private clinics will have vaccines available. I know several doctors (family and friends) here in Kyiv and none have any knowledge of when private clinics will have "other vaccines" available.