Are there single ladies who are expat in Dominican Republic?

Hello everyone,
I am still doing some research on to where l want to move to in the near future.  I've noticed the majority of the expats who moved to D.R. or other countries are often couples.  However, l am a single lady and l have no desire to be in a toxic, entanglement, or an unhealthy relationship just that l can please others.  There are many things that l consider important for me before moving to a place number one is safety, the second one is the cost of living, the third one is climate, and the last but not least learning the local language so l can communicate on a meaningful way with the locals.  How much money does a single person need to have to pay for all the costs of things such as hydro, internet, water, how many months of rents and how much of deposit do they require to rent an apartment?  I read somewhere that most the Latin American countries, the people do not take a single woman seriously therefore, they need to have a man signature when it comes to do any kind of transaction l would like to have single women imput, and to find out if it's true.  By the sound of it, businesses are difficult things to do, but are there any other options for someone like myself who doesn't have a big wallet of money.  I would appreciate to hear from only single women experiences who are not rich like myself, but are able to live, a peaceful, quit, and healthy lifestyle.

Thank you,

Welcome to the forums. I am single and I have been here almost 18 years.

To qualify for residency you need us 1500 a month of income.  That is a good guage on how much you need.  You can live on less but not in the beginning.

You do not need a man's signature, that's a load of hoooey!  In some areas you do need a guarantor on a rental but not everywhere.  In many places 2 month deposit plus 1 month rent or commission is normal.

I own and run several companies and yes it can be difficult.  You need to understand how things work and speak the language.  That increases your chance of success.

Feel free to private message me if needed.

While I'm here with my husband, I know many single women in Las Terrenas! Several are business owners, most are property owners and I've not heard of any issues they have had just because they are single women.

We actually have a large Ladies Night group in LT and I'm in the minority not being single!

Que Beyonce....... :)

It is difficult as a single woman.  Welcome to Machismo with a strong African aggressiveness .  It's difficult but not impossible.  Gotta come in with a strong self esteem (strong as steel) otherwise prepare to get run over, invalidated, second-guessed, whistled at, and proposed to by the painter.

Hello,
I have decided Dominican Republic its not a country for me to move to.  I am too of a strong  woman, unapolegetic, high self-confidence, self-woth, and self-love to be putting up with anyone non sense.  I grew up in Canada, my parent were immigrants from African decent therefore, l do not accept status quo, l do not allow people to disrespect me l demand respect, because l earn it.  I visited Dominican Republic four times, l like the beautiful weather however, l do not like the way the majority of the people behave with tourists; as soon they found out you are from America, they tried to screw you over, over charge you...l travelled over the country, and l found the same behaviour over, and over.  I cannot stand greedy people, l have a big problem with some nations here in Canada this is one of the reasons why l want to leave Canada.  I visited over twenty countries, only two of them are apealling to me to move to the first one is Thailand, and the second one is Tortola.  The donwside with Thailand its very far away, and the local language its not easy to grabs; l stayed there for two months l totally love that country, the people are warm, polite, kind, and very helpful.  I tried to learn the language, but found it extremely hard.  Tortola which is in the British Virgin Island, they speak English, but its outreagously expensive, the cost of living is very, very high furthermore, their currencies is the U.S. As a single Black woman l felt safe, l felt respected by the locals when l was in Thailand more so than when l visited countries such as: St-Thomas, Dominican Republic, St-Croix....all these countries have a huge black population.  I am going to keep trying to learn Thai so eventually, if l can only able to communicate just the basic that should be good enough.

You have dollars on your forehead as an American. Life must be great and wealthy! The perfect place does not exist and need to find what fits your needs...

I am a 🇨🇦 and own a home in las terrenas.  The relationship between black and white is seamless.  You may want to consider getting a male partner.  Good luck!

It is so true! There are  people in the Dominican Republic  who will try and scam you, overcharge you and even Rob you. Some even lie to you.
It's not like it is here in the United States where everything is fair and honest and the Democrat media tells us the truth 24 hours/Day. We have a Democrat Utopia here in the United States! don't believe me? Just ask the rioters and looters or any of the 14 million illegals that get free health care and free food.

I always say, "To each his (or in this case) her own"! Keep looking, I'm sure there's a perfect place for you!

So sad for you that you judge this country based on visits as a tourist.  Until you live here you are nothing but a tourist.

Your loss! 

As a strong independent female I have a truly amazing life here!

@Glory53 - I don't know what changed since your OP just 5 days ago, but it sounds like you've made up your mind!

So I guess these comments are for anyone who reads this thread in the future!

I am not a single woman, but I am frequently out and about town without my husband in tow! While there are people here (and everywhere) who will try to make a fast buck off of anyone they think has a few to spare, that is not the majority of Dominicans! Never have I felt disrespected, dismissed, or "lesser than" because I'm a woman, or because I'm from the US.

I will also say that once the street peddlers (watches, CDs, etc.) and beach vendors start to recognize you as a local and not a tourist, they don't even bother asking you to look at their wares. So living here and visiting here are different!

Last week, I participated with a friend in a scavenger hunt here in Las Terrenas. The hour and a half I spent exploring town, solving clues based on local and Dominican history, and wandering into barrios I had barely noticed before was so enlightening! And it reinforced my decision to live here! We had a heck of a time trying to find one of the locations which was deep in a barrio. The number of men, women, and even children who asked if we needed help was astonishing! Not only were we looking a bit lost as we wandered up and down the same stretch of road, but we were also two "gringos" in an area where most expats don't visit. We never felt unsafe or unwelcome. The concept of a scavenger hunt was somewhat lost on them, and the creative clues the organizer had written in cutesy English didn't translate well into Spanish, but one very nice young man was determined to help us find what we were looking for and didn't give up on us until we found it!

That is just one recent example of the goodness and generosity I've seen from Dominicans. There was also the time I walked off leaving my keys in my scooter and the guy (who I had been ignoring while he was shouting in Spanish behind me) ran up to bring them to me. And the kid at the grocery store, looking for a few pesos for returning my cart, who took the coins from me and then picked up and handed me the 1000 peso note that had fallen out of my pocket when I pulled out the coins.

Just like anywhere, there are jackasses, scammers and freeloaders looking to take advantage of those naive enough to let them. Go to any touristy place (Times Square, French Quarter, Hollywood, Disney) and tourists are going to be ripped off! The same bottle of Coke I pay 30 pesos for at the local colmado is $4.50 at Disney. Talk about greedy bastards!  :cool: 

End of rant - I just hate to see people who don't even live here making absurd blanket assessments about Dominicans based on very limited interactions.

[Post under review]

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : inapropriate

Sounds like you didn't come her for info or feedback you came here to post your decisions! 

And to post your agenda!  We aren't interested in this on Expat, there are other forums for that.

Good luck to you. The last comment by the OP was removed and this thread is closed.

Closed