I would like to explore the possibility of retiring in Uganda

Hi,
I would like to explore the possibility of retiring in Uganda. I left Africa in my forties for Canada and now after 2 decades I am preparing for retirement. I am married and want to know what I need to do to retire in Uganda if possible.
Anyone who has information on this is welcome and is encouraged to share.
Very grateful to any contribution.
Thank you

I am very impressed with your plan to retire in Uganda.
Personally, I currently live in the USA and honestly speaking Uganda is one of those countries that I would recommend people especially those that have had their work years in the West.
First it's cheap and affordable, the nature  is generally friendly and there is alot to enjoy depending on your hobbies.
In Uganda if you have a house,power,water and transport means. That is a very big start.All you need is to create a system that makes you avoid any mistakes.
This starts at the planning stage. I am willing to guide you on how best you can realize your plans of settling in Uganda in our next conversation.  Get back to me via***

Mugagga

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : Kindly exchange your contact details by using the private messaging system.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

This should be totally doable because you spent more of your life in Uganda than in Canada.
I would be surprised if you can afford to retire comfortably in Canada after only 20yrs of work. Granted, depending on your immigration status and your spouse's income it may be possible but I suspect not.

At only 60 years old you would be able to continue working and building and be a great resource for our country.

Hi,
Glad to hear you are looking to retire in Uganda. What exactly do you want to know? Legalities or recommendations of amenities as well as legalities?
In terms of planning to retire in Uganda, you have to be a citizen. If you have Canadian citizenship now, then you can apply for dual nationality.

If you still habe your Ugandan passport you can use that as proof of your nationality and can literally just jump on a plane and set up home. Your wife will be able to get citizenship through you but also, depending on where she's from, ceryain countries are granted citizenship to East Africa. E.g. some Carribean islands, such Jamaica, are granted automatic citizenship- so long as the individual can prove their nationality.

Hope that helps!