Menu
Expat.com

VISA EXTENSION ????

Last activity 21 September 2021 by Poebhoy

MexiBob

Hi, I'm a UK Citizen married to a Filipino with dual nationality; I have visited the Philippines with my wife many times over the last 40 years and never, because of work, had a need to extend my tourist visa. I’m now retired and would like to enjoy an extended stay.

I believe I will I need, at some stage, to seek an extension to my tourist visa at the local PSA/BOI office. However an acquaintance recently advised me that because I’m married to a Filipino all I need do when we arrive at Cebu’s Mactan Airport is to go to a side Office. I suppose Immigration, and they will provide me with a stay up to six months. Knowing how bureaucratic Philippine procedures can be I find this statement hard to believe. Is there anyone out there that can confirm this is so?

Regards Bob

kevin4586

Hi Bob
I been travelling back and forth with my Wife to Cebu for 20 years ,and every time I come into Cebu with my wife I get a belikbeyan visa which is good for year and free

Michaelm54

Hi Kevin, what paperwork do you need for a Balikbayan visa? Same, I’m married to a Filipina national living in the US for 3 years with her permanent green card, but we want to go back to stay amongst her family.

kevin4586

Nothing Bob, as long as you go through immigration with your wife , get your wife to ask them to stamp your passport with the belikbeyan visa stamp and that’s it  and it’s free , good for year ,can only get it if your married to a Filipino

MexiBob

Hi, Thanks for the heads up. We have never made use of the Balikbayan
Programme although I know our Filipino friends do.  Always thought it was a “Duty Free” concession never realised you could get a visa extension. Just looked at the website and it seems straight forward.  so will certainly avail myself of this option. 

Again many thanks, Bob

kevin4586

No probs glad to help
May be run into to you Bob this Dec in Cebu ,COVID depending

mikebrant1973

yes you can get 6 months visa extant ion in any BI if you married to filippina or your child is filippino .
bring copy of your marriage contract

mikebrant1973

you cant get balikbyan visa in BI,,,,only if you arrive toghter in the airport

pilotdrh

Sometimes they will ask for your marriage license, sometimes not. Best to have it with you then you'll get the 1 year stamped in your passport.

onefogarty
mikebrant1973 wrote:

yes you can get 6 months visa extant ion in any BI if you married to filippina or your child is filippino .

Does this apply if you’re not married but have a Filipino child?

Poebhoy

Hi there if your travelling with your wife use both just go through passport control together have you're marriage certificate with use and they will stamp your passport for a year as long as you're filipina wife is travelling there with you I am from UK also and that's through experience not hear say so hopefully that puts you're mind at rest now

Enzyte Bob
Poebhoy wrote:

Hi there if your travelling with your wife use both just go through passport control together have you're marriage certificate with use and they will stamp your passport for a year as long as you're filipina wife is travelling there with you I am from UK also and that's through experience not hear say so hopefully that puts you're mind at rest now

We did not have to show our marriage certificate as our passports had the same last name. So if any of you are married, update your passports before coming to the Philippines

FindlayMacD
onefogarty wrote:
mikebrant1973 wrote:

Does this apply if you’re not married but have a Filipino child?

I don't think having a Filipino child carries any weight as far as visas are concerned, only marriage.

Poebhoy

If you have dependent kids and not married to filipina you can get a9 visa for 3 months 6 and 1yr thats what I do on my return from uk

Articles to help you in your expat project in the Philippines

All of the Philippines's guide articles