Dual Citizenship pros and cons

I just retired at 65 and I decided that I will live in the Dominican Republic 8 or more months a year. I own 2 rental properties and a villa. My wife is Dominican born and I am American born. I will be living off of my Social Security, 401k and rental incomes.
I really would love to hear opinions on  which option I should decide on…Dual Citizenship or Residency ?  What are the pros and cons of each. I currently have Medicare, is that accepted in DR or would I need medical insurance there as well. I've been back and forth every year for the past 15 years or so… I  just recently spent 10 months in DR in 2021. I'm planning on living in the south non tourist area. All ideas and suggestions would be helpful. Happy New Year to all!

Welcome to the forums!

By marriage you have the right to citizenship.  The process starts by applying for residency.  Then after a short wait you can apply for citizenship.  Once you have citizenship - you have all the rights and no more renewing residency!

Medical insurance - almost no options now that you are 65. Sorry!

Happy New year to you.

No Medicare here.

planner wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

By marriage you have the right to citizenship.  The process starts by applying for residency.  Then after a short wait you can apply for citizenship.  Once you have citizenship - you have all the rights and no more renewing residency!

Medical insurance - almost no options now that you are 65. Sorry!

Happy New year to you.

Best recomendation, if you as US Citizent can have Dual Citizenship, only will need to renew passport every 10 years.

Hi Planner, thank you for the fast response. You have helped me in the past. Always useful information. Question concerning medical, What do expats over 65 do for medical insurance? I know that the medical costs are not anywhere close to the prices in the USA. Do I have any options other than paying out of pocket?
Lastly, armed with your experience and tenure in DR, is there any tax benefits or disadvantages with a dual citizenship?
Are there any financial advisors or lawyers that you know of in the Dominican Republic that I may be able to contact?
Thanks again for taking my question.

I appreciate your feedback. 10 years of being idle is great.  My luck I will get called back to the States for Jury Duty to ruin the R&R. Seems that Jury Duty, Taxes and death are the three things that you can't avoid in the USA.

Solomente wrote:

Hi Planner, thank you for the fast response. You have helped me in the past. Always useful information. Question concerning medical, What do expats over 65 do for medical insurance? I know that the medical costs are not anywhere close to the prices in the USA. Do I have any options other than paying out of pocket?
Lastly, armed with your experience and tenure in DR, is there any tax benefits or disadvantages with a dual citizenship?
Are there any financial advisors or lawyers that you know of in the Dominican Republic that I may be able to contact?
Thanks again for taking my question.

Well you have only one option, the Health Insurance companies here before acept you, they send you for a medical check with one of their doctors, and after that they decide if they want or not to offer you one of their Health Care plans, will depends on how Healthy you are.

Solomente wrote:

I appreciate your feedback. 10 years of being idle is great.  My luck I will get called back to the States for Jury Duty to ruin the R&R. Seems that Jury Duty, Taxes and death are the three things that you can't avoid in the USA.

We moved down last year and immediately registered to vote as non-residents. Once you are registered this way, you won't be on the jury rolls. Unless you want to be - then you could probably get a pass if you are called while you are out of the country.

Taxes you can't escape! Fortunately, my parents are in Florida, and we use their address as our US permanent address. No state taxes anymore!

US Overseas Citizens Voter Registration

What are the benefits of citizenship really?

I have been pondering this question too lately.

To vote. To be able to use the airport autogate. After 5 years of citizenship be exempt from deportation for a crime committed here. A DR passport offers few travel destinations without visa. No need to renew residency every 4 years. What else?

Is definitive residency a better option for those that have 10 years of continued permanent residency here. Renewal every ten years.

For those  early in the process citizenships means you do not have to requalify!

I did it to avoid renewals - ever, even 10 yrs out

I became a citizen to avoid residency renewals (and trips to Santo Domingo) .  Migracion screwed me once and never again.

Well, take a seat... pull up a chair.... strap in !!

I was getting some things sliced off my face today in POP.. a derma..

If, if , if, I get where I don't want to be..... it will be surgery, not an office visit.

My Int'l insurance has me 'preexisting' skin cancers.... self  pay

She said (knowing I was a citizen)
Let's look up your SeNaSa coverage....
Yup, I have it !!

citizens over 60 are auto covered.. !!
I have never reg'd !!

What a deal !!
All free !!!

That's an advantage........ for me and some of you

Well how cool is that!!!!

Solomente wrote:

While I have dual US and DR citizenship, I am no longer a resident in any US state or commonwealth, so it would be hard for them to find me regarding jury duty.  Hopefully.  At least I have yet to hear from "them" since 2003.   

Correct about the US taxes unless you decide to renounce US citizenship, which would not work for my situation. The US needs money for wars and social programs.

As for death, I have yet to figure out a way to avoid that in the DR, let alone the US.

I became a DR citizen because the DR Migracion department is incompetent and I hated having to deal with them on a regular basis. They screwed up some paperwork on a renewal which meant I had to fix it. I also hate going to Santo Domingo, so I never have to do that again regarding residency renewals.

Being able to register with SeNaSa is a positive for sure and had crossed my mind as perhaps the best benefit of citizenship but you would use public hospitals and they are variable and busy. My wife thought strongly otherwise of making use of SeNaSa.

I do suspect that as a citizen ones financial affairs will come under greater scrutiny by the Dominican authorities to ensure you pay all taxes due especially under this current government. I do wonder if all citizens will one day be expected to register with DGII and get a tax number. The stated aim is to regularize the informal employment sector. Not so sure this would happen to residents.

There are a few levels of SeNaSa to choose from

[link under review]

The highest are Maximo & Premium.....big coverage, and pvt clinics

e.g. CMC takes it

It's a no brainer for me.

My Int'l coverage excludes my pre-existing skin issues..... ant skin related issues/cancers/etc

SeNaSa takes me.

WillieWeb wrote:

My Int'l coverage excludes my pre-existing skin issues..... ant skin related issues/cancers/etc

SeNaSa takes me.

So this is a big plus for citizenship especially pensioners.

OK, so becoming a DR citizen provides you with "SeNaSa coverage" ...

citizens over 60 are auto covered.. !!

Where is the coverage explained, in a web site somewhere?

I am considering citizenship but not sure its worth the cost.  But if you get health insurance as a citizen, what do you get, how does it work?  That would be good to understand.

Can you send me a private message with the link you supplied for
SeNaSa coverage....

It is "under review" and not showing to us.

Never mind,  I found the web site with a simple google search.

Karin

lennoxnev wrote:
WillieWeb wrote:

SeNaSa takes me.

So this is a big plus for citizenship especially pensioners.

Make that HUGE PLUS !!!

Can you pls send me a private message with the SeNaSa link. I think it's still being reviewed so it doesn't show yet

Thanks

Just do a google search...
https://www.arssenasa.gob.do/

SeNaSa

I am learning about this....

People like me - no employer - need apply for the Larimar plan

Cost is about 20,000 DOP/yr - if over 70,  double that

WillieWeb wrote:

SeNaSa

I am learning about this....

People like me - no employer - need apply for the Larimar plan

Cost is about 20,000 DOP/yr - if over 70,  double that

Larimar is open to expats married to Dominicans and the Dominican dispora too as I read it. No need for citizenship as I read it?

Plan Larimar ARNSeNaSa

https://www.arssenasa.gob.do/index.php/plan-larimar/

SeNaSa Larimar is the health insurance offered to Dominicans, foreigners (nationals or with a passport) who wish to acquire an independent plan, as well as, for the Dominican diaspora that permanently returns or wants to obtain medical coverage for their family in the country.

With this plan, SeNaSa offers its volunteer members (individual and family) an excellent quality / price ratio, with a wide catalog of more than 3,000 health services provided through a national network of about 8,000 doctors, clinics, laboratories and private diagnostic centers.

Requirements
Complete the membership form.
Copy of the identity card (adults).
Copy of the birth certificate (minors).
Copy of the marriage certificate or the certificate of free union.
Make the previous payment according to the selected period (quarterly, semi-annual or annual).
Applicants aged 55 and over must have a medical check-up.
Coverage
Medical consultations: unlimited, payment of differences applies.
Psychological and psychiatric consultations:  80% up to RD $ 3,000 per year.
Laboratories, X-rays and special studies:  80%, according to the coverage catalog of this plan.
Outpatient procedures: 80% on List of Medical Fees (LHM) *.
Emergency services: 100% in contracted centers.

Room:  100% up to RD $ 3,000 daily, for an unlimited period.
Medications in detention:  100% up to RD $ 3,000 daily, for an unlimited period.
Intensive care room:  100% up to RD $ 5,000 daily, for an unlimited period.
Surgery room:  100%.
Anesthesia and consumable material:  100%.
Medical fees:  100%.
Laboratories and X-rays:  100%.
Limit per case:  RD $ 250,000.

thank you for the nice explanation!

Yes.... that's it Lennox.....

Doesn't appear Citizenship is a requirement here

The plan laramar requiring a medical exam seems to indicate existing conditions will not be covered.  It would be interesting to know if that is true.

Non govt mandatory insurance (ie employee coverage) can exclude any pre existing condition.

This is from the SeNaSa office -
it states the age for price doubling is 75 - not 70 as I was told

Dear, To join our voluntary plan, SeNaSa Larimar, you must contact one of our offices and meet the following requirements: • Complete the membership form. • Copy of the identity card (adults). • Make the previous payment according to the selected period (quarterly, semi-annual or annual). • Applicants aged 55 and over must have a medical check-up. • From the age of 75, you pay double the premium. From the age of 85 it triples - Forms of payments -Quarterly -Semestral -Annual - Cost of the Larimar Plan -Quarterly Premium: RD $ 5,241.00 -Semester Premium: RD $ 10,482.00 -Annual Premium: RD $ 20,964.00. These costs are individual, per person. You can check more information through our page www.arssenasa.gob.do Pleasure to serve you!

lennoxnev wrote:

Being able to register with SeNaSa is a positive for sure and had crossed my mind as perhaps the best benefit of citizenship but you would use public hospitals and they are variable and busy. My wife thought strongly otherwise of making use of SeNaSa.

I do suspect that as a citizen ones financial affairs will come under greater scrutiny by the Dominican authorities to ensure you pay all taxes due especially under this current government. I do wonder if all citizens will one day be expected to register with DGII and get a tax number. The stated aim is to regularize the informal employment sector. Not so sure this would happen to residents.

The  exact same financial obligations apply to legal residents, so why would it not happen to them?

I am asking the question becuase citizens and residents are and have been treated differently historically but this may change with a government commited to applying the laws fully.

For example citizens automatically aquire state social security rights whether they work or not but it is mandatory only for tax payers to get a a tax code. Now many expats who get citizendship and are residents also should in theory be taxpayers and register for a tax code and pay some taxes.

https://drlawyer.com/taxation-dominican-republic/

Getting a tax code would seem a way to manage your social rights. In my country a citizen gets a national insurance number and a tax code is the next step when you have income. DR does not have a national security numbering system from my understanding but it does have an identity numbering system and here they distinguish between citizens and residents using that system,

But foreigners - residents and work permits holders and any other non residents staying for a long time  - are required by law - the Constitution - to register in the Libro de Extranerja - but that is not in place I think and so the management of those foreigners and their activities here is less complete.

https://republica-dominicana.justia.com … ccion-iii/

Another example of the different treatment of residents and citizens financially is the ability to obtain credit and credit cards. There is much more data collected for citizens than the average resident and that starts with the application process and for citizenship and may continue thereafter.

I am not looking to debate this point but rather seek out real answers to suspicions I have and also it has been asked by another poster in this thread and does have an important bearing how one assesses citizenship over residency.