Extending my 1 year non-immigrant Visa

Hello
Does anyone know the required documents needed to extend my 1 year non-immigrant OA Visa?
I tried calling immigration in Phuket to ask but they don't answer their phone or email.
In fact the email came back saying the mailbox was full.

I contacted the consulate in LA and he pointed me to a web site that listed about 30 different types of visas and it described what is needed for each. Mine doesn't seem to fit into any category. I'm really
just here for tourism but the tourist visa is not what I have.

Their is an investment visa but I would have to be here before 2006 and I was not. And it requires an investment of 3M. I have a condo I paid 2.5 million for.

Any help is appreciated!
Thank U

ok

Are you talking about the Retirement Visa link below?
I'm not on a Retirement Visa it's a Non-immigrant OA visa.
The requirements are very different.

Or, is it a different link?
Thanks for your response

scbrock wrote:

Are you talking about the Retirement Visa link below?
I'm not on a Retirement Visa it's a Non-immigrant OA visa.
The requirements are very different.

Or, is it a different link?
Thanks for your response

My cousin in Chiang Rai is on that type of Visa.

After a number of years of getting frustrated with the process, he does it all through an agent now.

Apparently they do answer their emails

I went to Immigration Office in Phuket town today and got some answers
Here is a list of the requirements
1 Tm 7 with 4x6 photo
2 ST.M 2
3. Acknowledgement for penalties for visa overstay
4 Copy of passport sign every page
5 Copy of resident register
6 Bank letter the issue date isn't longer than 7 days
7 Bank statement need to show money 1 year 800,000
8 Copy of Bank book copy of every page that shows money and the first page
9 Photo of house with number
10 Map of your home

I'm not sure about the medical insurance if it is required or not. It was required for
the first year.

Part of the problem I see is I don't have a Thai bank account and was never told I needed one. Now they want to see a bank book. In fact I tried to get a bank account
and several banks I went to refused to give me an account since I was not working
and was not on a retirement visa.

The contradictions are enormous here

If using the money in the bank method,then you need 800k in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to the application for the 1 year extension.  This is not negotiable at immigration. How is it possible you don't know about the bank account? You'll also need a health insurance covering next year. Why did you go for an O-A Visa in the first place?  If you don't meet the financial requirements and don't have an insurance and you need the 1 year extension, the only 2 options might be using an agent in Phuket or leave the country and come back with  another type of visa and start all over. But you'll still need a Thai bank account. If you go to immigration and get a Resident Certificate (it shows your official address), then you can open a savings account at Bangkok Bank.

Bank of Bangkok is one of the few that would allow me to open an
account. The only downside with them is they have a compulsory
Accidental ins that has to be purchased. I am able to get around this
by showing my financials that shows how much my retirement
distribution is. They also want to see how much is in my US Bank account
So, the bank account in Thailand isn't needed.

I applied for medical ins yesterday. So it's coming together.
and, they will accept the form stapled to my passport that shows
my residence has been registered

Good luck on that. Here in Chiang Mia could not. Let me know how it goes there in Phuket. I have been doing a OA Visa for 8 years but every other years I was able to leave just before it exprired and re-enter in to thailand and get a new stamp for one year, but because of Covid requirements was not able to do.

OUAT41 wrote:

Good luck on that. Here in Chiang Mia could not. Let me know how it goes there in Phuket. I have been doing a OA Visa for 8 years but every other years I was able to leave just before it exprired and re-enter in to thailand and get a new stamp for one year, but because of Covid requirements was not able to do.

You only got 1 year extra for free when using a re-entry permit and coming back on an O-A, not 8 years. That's BS. There's no problem what so ever to extend the stay 1 year if you meet the financial requirements. The procedure is almost exactly the same as a 1 year extension from an initial Non-immigrant O Visa. If you don't meet the requirements,that's your problem only.

Non immigrant OA visa is the same as Retirement visa. These not very different. These are one and the same.

It was my understand the financial requirements for the retired
visa are much higher than the OA but don't quote me on that.

stravel2014 wrote:

Non immigrant OA visa is the same as Retirement visa. These not very different. These are one and the same.

Not correct. The O-A Visa requires a mandatory health insurance incl every 1 year extension. That's not the case for the O based on retirement. You can only apply for the O-A in your home country, also not the same as an O based on retirement where you apply at the local immigration office in Thailand.

scbrock wrote:

It was my understand the financial requirements for the retired
visa are much higher than the OA but don't quote me on that.

The financial requirements as of today is exactly the same and has been for many years. But the government has proposed a much higher amount of money in the bank for O-A Visa holders from October 1.

I believe you need to show proof that you have had at least 800,00 bahts in a Thai bank for the year preceding your visa renewal date. I've had one million in a Thai bank, they may like that you have over the required amount. Bring  a document from the bank verifying that you had at least the required amount for at least 1 year, plus a copy of the updated recent page of your passbook. And bring the actual passbook with you. Documentation of income and health insurance is also helpful.

drrobopa wrote:

I believe you need to show proof that you have had at least 800,00 bahts in a Thai bank for the year preceding your visa renewal date. I've had one million in a Thai bank, they may like that you have over the required amount. Bring  a document from the bank verifying that you had at least the required amount for at least 1 year, plus a copy of the updated recent page of your passbook. And bring the actual passbook with you. Documentation of income and health insurance is also helpful.

Immigration doesn't care a bit if you have 1 million baht or 802,000 baht in the account. And the money has to be in the account 2 months prior to the day of application for the extension. And during 7 months prior to the application, the balance can't go below 400k, and 5 months before that the balance can't go below 800k.
The health insurance is mandatory for an O-A Visa holder, being helpful has nothing to do with it.

i am also holding NON O Visa, what is your issues with?

ericsooi wrote:

i am also holding NON O Visa, what is your issues with?

This topic is about problems extending an O-A Visa, not O.

Well I am currently applying for the OA in Thailand and have already talked
with an immigration officer that is helping me do it.

I'm not here to argue with anyone and some of this is new to me and I'm
going to find out a lot more in the coming weeks

scbrock wrote:

Well I am currently applying for the OA in Thailand and have already talked
with an immigration officer that is helping me do it.

I'm not here to argue with anyone and some of this is new to me and I'm
going to find out a lot more in the coming weeks

You're applying for an extension of your initial Non-immigrant O-A Visa. You're on a permission of stay, you don't have a visa.

oh ic, may i jonw what is OA different as O pls tks

[You're applying for an extension of your initial Non-immigrant O-A Visa. You're on a permission of stay, you don't have a visa./]

That's interesting it says Visa right on my ... Visa.
Nowhere does it say permission of stay

Anyway, it doesn't really matter

scbrock wrote:

[You're applying for an extension of your initial Non-immigrant O-A Visa. You're on a permission of stay, you don't have a visa./]

That's interesting it says Visa right on my ... Visa.
Nowhere does it say permission of stay

Anyway, it doesn't really matter

You enter on a visa. The same moment the immigration officer stamps your passport the visa is used. You get an admitted until stamp in your passport, the square stamp normally below the entry stamp. That's the permission to stay.

ericsooi wrote:

oh ic, may i jonw what is OA different as O pls tks

Just scroll back a few posts and you'll see the explanation about the difference between a Non-immigrant O and a Non-immigrant O-A.

I know this might sound strange but I use a visa agent. It's so easy with them, as they know any changes in the law. They do all the heavy lifting and with covid about, I am in and out of Immigration in 5 min. all done at a cost of 6000 baht. Think about it.

I can see your point. I had a friend help me that has a friend at
immigration.

Did your agent help you with the medical ins?

Roadhog wrote:

I know this might sound strange but I use a visa agent. It's so easy with them, as they know any changes in the law. They do all the heavy lifting and with covid about, I am in and out of Immigration in 5 min. all done at a cost of 6000 baht. Think about it.

I pay 1,900 baht a year doing it myself and I know any changes in the law,too. It takes me 3 minutes at the retirement desk. Taking some copies of this and that isn't heavy lifting in my opinion. My bank is 80 meters away from immigration,so getting the bank letter isn't hard work.

I had a non-o and didn't need the ins. Go see an agent, advice is free.

there is a fairly comprehensive blog called

[link moderated]

under the > live in thailand > visa menu is an article called the big visa post

covrs most of the requirements, can ask a question on the comment and get an answer in a day or so

J

The problem with blogs is that requirements are not exactly same in every province. That means the answer you'll get won't be accurate in every case. There's no problem finding the requirements online as several immigration offices have websites. The other way is just asking at the local immigration office.

@scbrock no extension for this visa. you have to ask a new one . E-visas is possible request online . Visa will be send back by email. Possibility to get 1 year stamp just before expiration. Cancelled if getting out of thailand after expiration date

Extension may have been the wrong word I did get stamped for another year.

Currently, I am out of Thailand back in America and I made the mistake of not
getting my re-entry permit before leaving. Luckily enough they caught it at the
airport and I was able to get the re-entry done there before leaving
Thailand. It costs the same and it was actually a little quicker than getting
it done at the Immigration Office.

@scbrock no extension for this visa. you have to ask a new one . E-visas is possible request online . Visa will be send back by email. Possibility to get 1 year stamp just before expiration. Cancelled if getting out of thailand after expiration date

- @Loulou Bianco
You are not correct. There's no difference between an initial O and O-A when it comes to extensions, except for the health insurance. It's only the first year on an O-A, you can leave the country  just before it expires, using a re-entry permit, and you get another year for free. After that you must extend the stay at immigration the normal way for 1,900 baht. Plus, you need health insurance.

Extension may have been the wrong word I did get stamped for another year.

Currently, I am out of Thailand back in America and I made the mistake of not
getting my re-entry permit before leaving. Luckily enough they caught it at the
airport and I was able to get the re-entry done there before leaving
Thailand. It costs the same and it was actually a little quicker than getting
it done at the Immigration Office.
- @scbrock

You got your stay extended in Thailand,period. There's no other word for it.  Why is it so hard for you to remember the correct terminology when you have gotten the correct info in several posts?