Working from home

Hi guys,

I'm a live internet streamer and entertainer . People watch me online and I also go out and stream showing off places of interest and also fishing.

I was looking into moving to Vietnam to do this and rent an apartment to work from.

I'm not a company just a registered business ( here in Australia) so how would I go about a work visa?

Any tips etc welcomed

Hi guys,

I'm a live internet streamer and entertainer . People watch me online and I also go out and stream showing off places of interest and also fishing.

I was looking into moving to Vietnam to do this and rent an ... - @ozhunt

To get a work visa you need to have a company sponsor you - self employed won't be enough 

You're best or only bet is to come on a tourist visa and renew as and when, it's not the most convenient process but it does work 

Hi guys,

I was looking into moving to Vietnam to do this and ... - @Jlgarbutt

Except that would be illegal, correct?

@Jlgarbutt 

Working on a tourist visa is illegal. I know of no country in the world where it is legal. 

Although the above advice may be technically correct, it runs contrary to what has been represented many times on this forum.   To summarize, this was that as long as the customer base was overseas and all revenues received went directly to banks in your home or other country, that the Vietnamese government would not care.   Although usually not said, but perhaps said accurately, the Vietnamese government would essentially be unable to track you down. 

I had the impression that the OP fell into this mold of so-called digital nomad.  Has the government policy changed, or do people have evidence that enforcement has been stepped up?

Although the above advice may be technically correct, it runs contrary to what has been represented many times on this forum.   To summarize, this was that as long as the customer base was overseas and all revenues received went ... - @THIGV

So wait.

You want "proof" to contradict (essentially) "jailhouse lawyers" who give people the green light because they can't imagine incapable Vietnamese authorities catching on to what they are doing?

But you were also the guy who never let up calling out the illegality of being in Vietnam and not working on a Business Visa?

Being a contrarian simply to be a contrarian eventually leads to contradicting oneself.

No written proof of this but the change that went into effect in June of 2020, where regardless of Visa length people on an extended stay would still need to report to immigration once every 30 days has some people saying that immigration is going to start asking people about the source of their income when they have been living in country for an extended period of time.

I even heard reports of it happening during the lockdowns while I was still in country.

But of all the examples to choose to support, you aren't picking somebody who is actually crunching numbers for a far distant company.

This is a guy who's creating digital content while physically in Vietnam, much the same as a lot of women around the world are doing on webcams.

Yes there will always be people who will tell people such as the OP to go ahead and do it because this is basically the Wild Wild East.

If it's not a matter of legality, it's certainly a matter of respecting the host nation.

Has the government policy changed, or do people have evidence that enforcement has been stepped up?- @THIGV

Did you read this sentence?   Although I asked if people "have evidence" that's not quite the same as asking for "proof" as you put it.  Although it is sometimes difficult to read tone from the page, my question was intended to be respectful. 

But you were also the guy who never let up calling out the illegality of being in Vietnam and not working on a Business Visa?  @OceanBeach92107

Could the fact that your business visa was not renewed be the real reason for your new found and somewhat bitter insistence that everyone follow immigration rules to the letter?  I am sorry but the fact that I may have pointed out that such visas were dubious at best is hardly the reason yours was not renewed.   I don't think Immigration Dept. heads are scanning my posts looking for policy guidelines.  

Please excuse my formatting.  I am not nearly as adept at the new quote system as you seem to be.

@Jlgarbutt 

Working on a tourist visa is illegal. I know of no country in the world where it is legal. 

- @SimCityAT
 DIGITAL NOMAD / Freelancer etc - paid overseas - how would that fit into any other Visa?

I actually would prefer to pay my tax in Vietnam and do it ll legally. Better than paying tax in Australia.

I suppose then I just become a company instead of a sole trader, I guess. 

would that work. I want to totally avoid Australian tax and pay Vietnam instead

I actually would prefer to pay my tax in Vietnam and do it ll legally. Better than paying tax in Australia.

would that work. I want to totally avoid ... - @ozhunt

Maybe Australian law is different from other countries, but usually if you begin earning taxable income in a foreign country you also become responsible for filing taxes in your home country on that same income.

After that, international treaties come into play, and often a person is able to avoid double taxation by writing off taxes paid abroad against the home country tax return.

However, residency status can then become an issue in either or both countries (nonresidents and residents sometimes being taxed at different rates; Canada for example).

Obviously only an international tax professional familiar with the laws of both countries can give you totally reliable information.

But it does seem that you might need to decide where you want to be a resident.

You can't officially do that in Vietnam on a tourist visa.

yes I understand the tax concept. 

I'm happy to live in Vietnam 6mths and 1 day in a 12 mth period and then don't pay double tax and only pay the 20% tax in Vietnam

would that work. I want to ... - @OceanBeach92107

Well I am not a tax expert & certainly not for other countries other than UK, but having worked on international contracts  oil & gas I have a smarting of the tax implications for that country using some of the top ex pat oil & gas worker tax advisors so some examples...

From 2005 to 2008 I lived in France but worked in the UK North Sea for an American oil driller working 28/28 rotation & because my money was earned in the UK I paid UK tax...no messing & no way out of it. Any money earned in UK no matter where you live is subject to UK tax unless you pay tax at an equivalent level in the country you live in & that country has a reciprocal tax agreement with UK.

Right now because my pensions ( Government & Company) are UK based I still have to pay tax to the UK HMRC AT 20% on any money above the tax threshold even although I am Non Resident for tax purposes in UK......now how strange is that one!!

I also have to pay tax to HMRC 20% on the rental income from the properties I rent out in UK even although I am Non Resident for tax purposes in UK......now how strange is that one!!

bit of a ramble & a bitch on my part but anything to do with tax sets me off!!

Coming here to make videos, and receive no income via a Vietnamese bank? Sounds like a tourist, get a tourist visa.

Escalates: Wants to move to Vietnam and create a Vietnamese company with the goal to avoid Australian business taxes and pay Vietnamese taxes instead?  First, I think the Vietnamese company will require a 51% Vietnamese partner, right guys?  Probably a deal breaker right there.

No need a Vietnamese partner, but plan $1000 to create + $1000 each year (minimum) for accounting, etc. + fees for work permit + TRC to renew every 2 years.

Better to get a tourist visa, but it seems now you need to leave every 30 days to get a new 1-month visa ($25), extensions are not possible.

I guess you guys misunderstand and presume I am  fly by nighter. I have a business and make money entertaining online ( money from all over the world). I would like to work from Vietnam and also include live feeds around Vietnam as extra entertainment. Yes I understand tax laws and yes that's why I wat to work there and pay it there.

I certainly will not try to scam the system with illegal ways.

I asked because I presumed there might be some helpful info here.

Thanks

I guess you guys misunderstand and presume I am  fly by nighter. I have a business and make money entertaining online ( money from all over the world). I would like to work from Vietnam and also include live feeds around Vietnam as extra ... - @ozhunt

Your best bet might be to stick with a series of 3-month business visas when visa on arrival is available again.

@OceanBeach92107 

Thanks

I guess you guys misunderstand and presume I am  fly by nighter. I have a business and make money entertaining online ( money from all over the world). I would like to work from Vietnam and also include live feeds around Vietnam as extra ... 

I asked because I presumed there might be some helpful info here.

- @ozhunt

Well, the  problem is that no one on this board is a lawyer nor has experience in doing what you do.

You should contact someone who is qualified to give legal advice in Vietnam and/or youtubers who are active in VN who can speak from their own experience,

This phenomenon is fairly new, so it is still a somewhat gray area. For example, before the pandemic I used to regularly run into a software developer who worked for a company in Singapore. He naturally preferred to live in Vietnam but sometimes had to have meetings at the company, so he came and went on tourist visas. He told me that he previously went to Thailand but they began asking why he traveled to Thailand so often. Consequently, he started spending time in VN instead, where he had no problem (several years ago).

In this way, Thailand lost revenue by hassling someone who was working for a foreign company while living in Thailand. Most people don't seem to realize that "digital nomads' are already bringing money into the country just by being there and paying for accommodation, food, transportation, other goods and services, etc. 

Anyway, this situation is a bit different from yours. Again, you should contact an actual legal expert or at least search for the pertinent information online.

I am in the same situation and I created a company, many do that, but don't forget that even if your company has no income, you still have pay $1000-$1500/year for the company. (+visa/work permit/trc)

And the tax on benefits is probably higher than in Australia.

@OceanBeach92107 The 3-month business visas can't be extended anymore without a work permit or proof the work permit application is been processing.

@OceanBeach92107 The 3-month business visas can't be extended anymore without a work permit or proof the work permit application is been processing. - @Erikji

Which is why I wrote:

"Your best bet might be to stick with a series of 3-month business visas when visa on arrival is available again."

A series of visas (not visa extensions) means the OP would be exiting the country every 3 months and re-entering on a new visa.

This might suit him well since he is a content creator who would be able to create content on trips to Cambodia, Laos, Thailand, wherever and possibly write of the expenses of his border runs for business purposes.

Also, since a work permit is not required until after 90 days in country on a business visa, 

and 

VOA agents can arrange totally legal sponsorship through a third-party company (but an Embassy/Consulate will require a sponsorship letter) 

Then a SERIES of 90-day business visas might suit him well.

Better to get a tourist visa, but it seems now you need to leave every 30 days to get a new 1-month visa ($25), extensions are not possible. - @Erikji

Really?

You have new info?

As of June 2020, the new requirement was slated to be that anyone on a tourist visa PERMISSION TO STAY longer than 1 month (3 month) would report to immigration every 30 days, pay approximately $10.00 USD and be allowed to remain in country for the duration of their "permission to stay".

The lockdown kept that policy from going into effect, but now that the issuance of new multiple-month visas is hopefully to be resumed soon, it would make sense if that policy of monthly reporting to immigration applies.

If a person is in Vietnam on a one month Visa, then they would definitely need to exit and and re-enter on a new Visa.

If you've got new information which contradicts that, I'd be glad to read it.

@OceanBeach92107 

I was planning on possibly working in Vietnam for my Canadian company, the theory is that I'd be a consultant, instead of an emplotyee, and they'd wire me the money to Vietnam. I'd be happy to pay Vietnamese taxes, I think around 20%. That's the theory, but I heard that Canada won't allow this, even if you're a citizen's that's not resident anymore (the 6 months + 1 day rule) as long as you've got assets in the country, like a property under your name for example. That's a bummer. I guess the solution would be to start earning from other countries than Canada. At one point I might ask a tax accountant for legal options.

guys guys, I'm not concerned about the $1000 or more in business fees etc. 
Thats normal business expense. 
I want to treat it as a fly in fly out place and pay 20% tax instead of 49% in Australia for what I earn.
Why wouldn't I like to live half my time (work hours) in Vietnam then fly home every cpl weeks top see the family or bring them over for a holiday.
I actually would be happy to pay couple hundred thousand $$ on tax in vietnam instead of more in Australia.
 So obviously I need to be there 6mths and 1 day in a 12 mth period.
I appreciate all your comments but it seems most of you are concerned about the business expenses or cheating the visa, than the issue I have , granted most wouldn't understand my situation.
Any suggestions as to who I may contact for best advice?
Thanks once again
Any suggestions as to who I may contact for best advice? - @ozhunt
 Send me a private message.

The last time I suggested someone in a public post, all hell broke loose.
One of the problems here if you become resident (i.e here for longer than 6 months) are the very low tax bands, which makes Vietnam a very high tax country. That's why most professional working expats have their tax covered by their employers and negotiate salary nett, otherwise they just wouldn't come here. 

@OceanBeach92107

I was planning on possibly working in Vietnam for my Canadian company, the theory is that I'd be a consultant, instead of an emplotyee, and they'd wire me the money to Vietnam. I'd be happy to pay Vietnamese taxes, I think around 20%. That's the theory, but I heard that Canada won't allow this, even if you're a citizen's that's not resident anymore (the 6 months + 1 day rule) as long as you've got assets in the country, like a property under your name for example. That's a bummer. I guess the solution would be to start earning from other countries than Canada. At one point I might ask a tax accountant for legal options.

- @WillyBaldy
You are right in many of your points, but wrong about earning income from other countries and assuming it wouldn't be taxed in Canada.
  • In order to qualify as a non-resident for tax purposes you must have "severed substantially all of your ties to Canada" including having no assets, no bank accounts and no resident dependants.
  • Plus you must have been away for 6 months and a day minimum.
  • If you have not severed ALL ties to Canada you will be a deemed resident even if you have been away for years. And in this case you will be taxed on your "World Income" from all sources.
  • The sad part is that even though you will be taxed on your world income, if you are away for more than 183 days you loose your unversal free healthcare. (and that could be problematic as we age)

• The exact verbiage from Revenue Canada is as follows:

• Significant residential ties to Canada include:
a home in Canada
a spouse or common-law partner in Canada
dependants in Canada
Secondary residential ties that may be relevant include:
personal property in Canada, such as a car or furniture
social ties in Canada, such as memberships in Canadian recreational or religious organizations
economic ties in Canada, such as Canadian bank accounts or credit cards
a Canadian driver's licence
a Canadian passport
health insurance with a Canadian province or territory