Updated building Costs

@ICruz Yes, that is the term used here in Puerto Rico.

@mkvergaras can I get your info for future interior design help? We will be building a house and casita in Isabela.

@BoldConstructionPR  HI hood evening,  if I supply the construction material how much will be the S/F to build a house ?

Thanks

Best Regards

Hi good evening,  I understand that the cost of everything went up but how much is the s/f when I'm the one supplying all the materials , I mean I'm trying to buy a pre constructed house the supply floor plans and everything

Hi,

Please post an estimated price for a complete tear down of a 586 sq foot home.  Which permits are needed?

Thanks!

@Julio Ortiz49 I'm currently building a prefab home in the north side of the island.  We actually broke ground today. I can provide you names of contractors they provided me and you can reach out to them.

@judyvillacis Hi Judy!  We are in the early stages with Casas Mi Anhelo and noticed that you are breaking ground (congratulations!!) can you give us some insight, suggestions, etc.?  I appreciate your feedback so much, thanks!1f60a.svg

@Acros5790 Could you please share your architect with me. My husband and I are looking to build a home in Puerto Rico. We will be moving from the mainland hopefully by the end of year. We do have a place to stay in the mean time but trying to see what our options are for building. Thanks

@judyvillacis Hi Judy, could you provide some insight about the prefab building. Where in the process is your building process? Is Casas Mi Anhelo a reputable prefab builder? We are looking at our options to build on the western side of the island. Any insight you can provide would be great. Thanks

@kbarretoct hello if you would consider building sustainable with Hemp lime binder I would love to offer you an alternative.  Email me if intrested at [***]

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

@JasonBerner1 hi, i bought land in aguadilla. looking to build a cement privacy fence. Any recommendations for local labor?

@JasonBerner1 any recommendation on average construction prices  would be helpful too! thank you!!

Greetings Everyone!

I am looking for a builder to do an addition.  I found a company called Casa Bella? online at micasabellapr

Has anyone had experience with this company?  Are they reliable?  Reasonably priced?

Arlene

@m2marks

hello

my wife bought her grand mothers property in Rincon   we have plans and are searching for a builder.   any help would be app

happy new year!

@JasonBerner1 - Hi Jason. Your idea sounds very interesting. Can you share more?

@Adelaida Nunez Vazquez are you still involved with hemp lime?

@katiaresendiz

Credit Unions in Isabela and Rincon will finance !

i have a 1000 square meter lot for sale … in a quiet family neighborhood in Isabela

*** is my email

feel free to email me if interested.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 months ago
Reason : For security reasons, please share contact details through the private messaging system. Thank you

@katiaresendiz

Isabela and Rincon credit unions for finance…

i have land for sale in isabela

@Acros5790
Hi there,

I too am interested in building a home in Isabela and was hoping to connect with someone to talk more in depth about it. 

-@Lilly Rivera

you need a contractor or land!?

@rhythmmline Hi can you please send me more information on your land in Isabela? I am new to this site!

@Adelaida Nunez Vazquez Hi can you please send me information on hemp lime homes?

@m2marks

Mark,

I have 40 years of architectural design and construction management experience. My finance is from PR and we too, are deciding where to build our small 1200 sqft villa, which I designed or one of the custom container homes I've designed.

If you'd like,  please feel free to reach out to me and we can collaborate. We're heading back to Florida for 10 days and returning to PR April 2nd.

[link moderated]

All the best,

Peter

Moderated by Bhavna 6 months ago
Reason : Pour des raisons de sécurité, veuillez partager les coordonnées via le système de messagerie privée. Merci

@Acros5790 I am very interested in building in pr. But i find the cost per sq. ft. also very high. Would like to build in cabo rojo. if you have a contractor for $100. or less a sq. ft. i would be very interested.

Building jere is really expensive.  Unfortunately I can't give you a price. There are amny issues with mostly the contractors either running with your money or taking 4 times as long to complete a project or just doing an absolute shitty job and I won't even get into how bad the building inspectors are. Seriously they approve stuff that should never be approved. Lot of shady stuff happens here.  I suggest just buying something already finished,  yes you will more then like find issues as well.   

@sandrarduncan if things are that bad. why offer information on contractors there.?

I have not provided any information on any specific contractors. So I have no idea what you are speaking of.

@sandrarduncan Sorry i will correct my question. i had asked about finding a contractor on this site. and you gave me all the negrtive response about the services in pr. so i feel it mit not be a good idea to build in puerto rico.

I understand.  Unfortunately most people won't have anyone to recommend because of the issues I mentioned above.    Also if you are lucky enough to have someone recommend someone more then likely they are extremely booked and will charge you 4 times the amount to get the work done correctly and usually it will be someone who is non native to the island because they know the correct way things should be done.  I wish I had some great information to prove you with. Another thing is what towns are you considering building in?

There are bad contractors and good contractors everywhere   Been a project manager on both sides Mainland and here, is no difference.  There are a lot of competent contractors here.  You need to have the budget and find the right people 

@Acros5790

I might have an opportunity to buy some property near Arecipo; and I'll need to consult with an architect and engineer on whether the site would be suitable. Can you make some recommendations? Thanks!

@Acros5790

There are important factors to consider. 

Will you be building the new construction way or the old fashion way?

I have done both, new construction in Puerto Rico with the standards for South Florida +$180 / sq ft and existing standards for the Island <$100/sq ft, very different prices.

Ex: 

• real impact windows vs security windows
  • insulation for all walls and ceiling vs none
  • workmanship vs hit or miss
  • 8”  masonry, w 5/8” re b vs 6” masonry w 1/2” rbs'
  • etc, etc.

I will be building one or two new homes in 2025 in the San Sebastian area, love to hear what you will be doing.

@1041 Cecil

To avoid condensation look at adding insulation to all walls and ceilings.  Also an 8” block wall instead of the typical 6” will add an extra layer of protection. An additional benefit is that you will only need half of the recommended btus' for the split units, find an experienced a/c tech or engineer for calculations.  I built  a new home in San Sebastian PR, using this method , no condensation.

This is in response to the original question on price per sq ft for construction in PR. I have built a couple of new homes in Puerto Rico. There is new construction with new techniques such as in South Florida at $180+ /sq ft and new construction the old way, which is the prevalent style in Puerto Rico for $100+- /sq ft.  I would definitively add cement roofs to all construction.

Examples for new more efficient tech vs. old tech for new construction.

-Hurricane proof windows and doors vs security windows and doors.

-Proper electrical wiring vs a couple of outlets per room, typical in old style PR construction.

-Insulation for walls and ceilings vs None

-Professional workmanship vs hit or miss

-A/C, water pump and filter, solar panels or automatic switch power generator, etc. vs bare bones.

-etc, etc.

I will be starting 2 new homes in San Sebastian PR in 2025. I will try to share the experience via youtube.