Vietnamese health insurance coverage

I do not have any medical insurance in Vietnam and thought at the very least I should get the Vietnamese government health insurance.  I was told that anyone can get it by going to a local post office and signing up.  That sounds too easy to me.  Can anyone confirm or deny?   I am 75 years old and have been living in HCMC for 10 years - most private carriers will not cover someone of my age.
I do not have any medical insurance in Vietnam and thought at the very least I should get the Vietnamese government health insurance.  I was told that anyone can get it by going to a local post office and signing up.  That sounds too easy to me.  Can anyone confirm or deny?   I am 75 years old and have been living in HCMC for 10 years - most private carriers will not cover someone of my age.
- @dlewis516

well, that begs the question.

if you have been in VN for 10 years, and now you are 75 (seems like you came straight after retrirement age. good decision!), why did you wait til NOW to worry about this???

like, duh.

anyway, you are right, i certainly could not find any after 70 or even earlier age. and of course the premiums become exorbinate anyway.

re VN Govt health insurance, i have never considered that expats, pretty much all of whom are not VN citizens/residents, would ever be eligible (quite apart from what that coverage actually gives you)
- @dlewis516

if you have been in VN for 10 years, and now you are 75 (seems like you came straight after retrirement age. good decision!), why did you wait til NOW to worry about this???

like, duh.

anyway, you are right, i certainly could not find any after 70 or even earlier age. and of course the premiums become exorbinate anyway.

re VN Govt health insurance, i have never considered that expats, pretty much all of whom are not VN citizens/residents, would ever be eligible (quite apart from what that coverage actually gives you)
- @wits3

Well I have full health insurance & have had it since I retired. I am 71 coming on 72 & was previously with Regency For Expats & changed this year to AXA health & got cover no problem. I have standard with out patient & it costs 6,800 usd PA.
@goodolboy

AT USD $6800 per annum, or $566 a month, wouldn't it be cheaper to just set that money aside and pay out of pocket as you need? I mean, if I'm a pretty healthy 69 year old, the cost of seeing a doctor or going to Thailand for a medical issue, etc., seems I could afford that if I can afford $6800/ year, year in and year out.

Thoughts?
@goodolboy

$6,800? Wow, that seems steep! Does that cover prescriptions as well?

Roger
- @dlewis516

like, duh.

- @wits3

Well I have full health insurance & have had it since I retired. I am 71 coming on 72 & was previously with Regency For Expats & changed this year to AXA health & got cover no problem. I have standard with out patient & it costs 6,800 usd PA.
- @goodolboy

In the year 2015 just as I retired I contracted Salmonella here in Vietnam which then caused my immune system to react & gave me Reactive Arthritis in 90% 0f my joints. (the most painful experience of my life)  I was lucky because my company carried on my private health cover with BUPA for 18 months after I retired. I was immediatly flown to BKK & checked in to Bumrungrad International Hospital . It took them 2 weeks to kill off the Salmonella & during this time I then went into a coma or was put into a coma before they could start treating the Reactive arthritis. To cut a long storey short after being an inpatient for about 4 weeks in a private room, going through all sorts on checks to my body & then progressing to an out patient & then visiting the hospital flying from Vietnam every month eventually my BUPA cover ran out. In that time the costs for my treatment, meds, expenses was in excess of 250,000 usd  & BUPA covered the lot & no questions asked. Lucky for me by that time I was on the mend but was still taking in excess of 10 expensive tablets a day & visiting Bumrungrad at my own expense. Luckily now I have been in full remission for 3 years & fit as a fiddle.

I often hear comments like this about what I pay for health insurance & the argument for just saving the money but my insurance covers in & out patient, private room, re pat of mortal remains, flights, hotel expenses for 1 family member to fly out here & take me back home in a jar,  world wide cover except USA etc etc etc the full monty.

Now thing is this, if you are over here living on a small budget & just getting by & think 6,800 usd is a huge part of your income thats fine. However I am not & 6,800 usd is a very small % of my yearly income & is small money if it gives me peace of mind!

@goodolboy

Roger
- @RTLisSB

You try to get any cover when over 70 & believe me 6,800 usd is reasonable. After 4 years with Regency For Ex Pats health they wanted to raise it to 10,000 usd for the same cover, thats why I went with AXA.
- @dlewis516

like, duh.

- @wits3

- @goodolboy

good to know. but i think i check all those before, BUT from what i recall, once you are OVER 70, they will not give you a NEW policy - depending on company, they will give you new policy if you under 7o, eg 65, but if you are already over 70.

and in any case, personally, i do not have $US6,800. lucky if i have $US680. :-)

hand to mouth these days, after heavy previous expenses, and supporting VN family.

Roger
- @RTLisSB
You try to get any cover when over 70 & believe me 6,800 usd is reasonable. After 4 years with Regency For Ex Pats health they wanted to raise it to 10,000 usd for the same cover, thats why I went with AXA.
- @goodolboy
The level of coverage and amenities sounds impressive, GOB.

Thanks very much for sharing that previous post.

Do you have any idea if they (or another company) offers major medical only, maybe even without coverage for pre-existing conditions?

Most of MY pre-existing risk factors are covered by the US Veterans Administration "Foreign Medical Program" (although I am required to pay for care up front).

So my primary need would be major payments for accidental injury care.

~~~~~

NOTE to others reading this: during my previous nearly 3 years in Vietnam, I had the need to seek urgent care in an emergency room 4 different times.

My total out of pocket expenses were less than ₫12,000,000 VNĐ.

Having good health insurance is definitely a very good idea.

However, basic urgent care costs are extremely affordable, especially if you can avoid the expensive places geared toward foreigners.

Always best to have a bilingual Vietnamese friend/sweetheart/spouse accompany you.
- @dlewis516

like, duh.

- @wits3

- @goodolboy

In the year 2015 just as I retired I contracted Salmonella here in Vietnam which then caused my immune system to react & gave me Reactive Arthritis in 90% 0f my joints. (the most painful experience of my life)  I was lucky because my company carried on my private health cover with BUPA for 18 months after I retired. I was immediatly flown to BKK & checked in to Bumrungrad International Hospital . It took them 2 weeks to kill off the Salmonella & during this time I then went into a coma or was put into a coma before they could start treating the Reactive arthritis. To cut a long storey short after being an inpatient for about 4 weeks in a private room, going through all sorts on checks to my body & then progressing to an out patient & then visiting the hospital flying from Vietnam every month eventually my BUPA cover ran out. In that time the costs for my treatment, meds, expenses was in excess of 250,000 usd  & BUPA covered the lot & no questions asked. Lucky for me by that time I was on the mend but was still taking in excess of 10 expensive tablets a day & visiting Bumrungrad at my own expense. Luckily now I have been in full remission for 3 years & fit as a fiddle.

I often hear comments like this about what I pay for health insurance & the argument for just saving the money but my insurance covers in & out patient, private room, re pat of mortal remains, flights, hotel expenses for 1 family member to fly out here & take me back home in a jar,  world wide cover except USA etc etc etc the full monty.

Now thing is this, if you are over here living on a small budget & just getting by & think 6,800 usd is a huge part of your income thats fine. However I am not & 6,800 usd is a very small % of my yearly income & is small money if it gives me peace of mind!

- @goodolboy

interesting to know; but whatever the premiums were for me (i wanted to exclude WW coverage), if i could get at all, they were still far too much to afford. if i got seriously sick, i would either let it play out, or go back 'home' for treatment, where unfortunately 'free' doe not mean 'free' anymore.
@goodolboy

Definitely something to think about!

R
- @dlewis516

like, duh.

- @wits3

- @goodolboy

- @goodolboy

interesting to know; but whatever the premiums were for me (i wanted to exclude WW coverage), if i could get at all, they were still far too much to afford. if i got seriously sick, i would either let it play out, or go back 'home' for treatment, where unfortunately 'free' doe not mean 'free' anymore.
- @wits3

Thing is Wits, if I did not have med cover in that instance I am pretty sure I would be a cripple now. I had the best care ever at Bumrungrad International I cant say enough good about that place. I also thought it would be best to go home for treatment & when they said they were struggling killing off  the Salmonella & the only way left they said was at a last resort to remove my Gaul Bladder & at that stage I said I better get out of here & back to the UK. So I contacted the BUPA doctor & explained the situation & you know what he said............OK goodolboy if thats what you want then we will fly you home......but think about it (1).....you are being treated in one of the best top 5 hospitals in SEA. (2) what happens if you get even more sick on the plane & it has to do an emergency diversion to somewhere in Africa for example what then? so I stayed right where I was & one day before they planned the Gaul Bladder op I got the results back that I was all clear of the Salmonella & they could start treating the Arthritis with a cocktail of drugs including  steroids & Arava (DMARD's )
Always remember, you never know what's waiting round life's corner & when living in Vietnam, every day is an adventure & there are things here health wise just waiting to get you if you are not careful.
Always remember, you never know what's waiting round life's corner & when living in Vietnam, every day is an adventure & there are things here health wise just waiting to get you if you are not careful.- @goodolboy
👏 😁

@goodolboy  What does PA stand for, sorry, is that per annual? Then that is pretty cheap if its for an entire year of insurance coverage.