Menu
Expat.com

What do "people" do with their valuables?

Last activity 28 July 2022 by goodolboy

qnbui
Just curious to know what other people do with their valuables. Not looking to know what you are doing, just what you heard "others" are doing in regards to passports, cash,... Please don't divulge anything that could make you a target.

Here in the US, I have a safe at my place for my documents. Guess I can put them in a deposit box but that's a hassle if I need to get to them. Don't know if that's a service that Vietnamese banks offer. As far as cash goes, I can withdraw what I need for a week or 2 and keep it in my wallet. Little tougher to carry tens of millions of dongs in my wallet in VN and ATM are not as readily available depending where you live. Also how do landlords like the rent paid? Let's just say the rent is $1000. Even if you have the money transfer to you or withdraw from the bank, do they want you to give them 23M in cash or is there a cleaner/safer way to pay? Everything is electronic here in the US or old school checks but pulling out cash from a Vietnamese ATM multiple times to pay for rent could be a pain.

Just curious.
Thanks
OceanBeach92107
Just curious to know what other people do with their valuables. Not looking to know what you are doing, just what you heard "others" are doing in regards to passports, cash,... Please don't divulge anything that could make you a target.

Here in the US, I have a safe at my place for my documents. Guess I can put them in a deposit box but that's a hassle if I need to get to them. Don't know if that's a service that Vietnamese banks offer. As far as cash goes, I can withdraw what I need for a week or 2 and keep it in my wallet. Little tougher to carry tens of millions of dongs in my wallet in VN and ATM are not as readily available depending where you live. Also how do landlords like the rent paid? Let's just say the rent is $1000. Even if you have the money transfer to you or withdraw from the bank, do they want you to give them 23M in cash or is there a cleaner/safer way to pay? Everything is electronic here in the US or old school checks but pulling out cash from a Vietnamese ATM multiple times to pay for rent could be a pain.

Just curious.
Thanks
- @qnbui
My landlord provides a safe similar to those in U.S. hotel rooms, where you can set your own password code.

If your prospective landlord doesn't provide that, you can negotiate it when agreeing on the rent.

Vietnamese landlords usually won't negotiate rent, but they are often willing to do simple upgrades in an apartment to meet your needs.

Those safes are very heavy, but not foolproof (can grow legs and can be reset externally).

Not sure what "readily available" means to you, but I've had to be far out in the countryside before I found it difficult to locate an ATM (Google maps usually knows where they are).

I use an MB Bank ATM because I can get up to ₫5,000,000 VNĐ per withdrawal, and I can do multiple withdrawals at one time up to the limit on my Schwab Visa debit card, with all fees rebated at the end of the month.

I get enough to cover 1 month's cash needs, then pay the rent, carry about ₫500,000 VNĐ in my wallet and put the rest in my apartment safe.

However, when my marriage is accomplished in August, I'll let my Vietnamese wife decide how to handle our monthly living expenses.

My landlord prefers cash, but I know some people do a bank transfer into the landlord's account.

In order to do that, you'd need a bank account in Vietnam, and those aren't as easy to get as they once were.

Even if you get a bank account opened in Vietnam, you might not be allowed to make transfers to another bank account in Vietnam, so if you think that's a necessity, make sure your clarify if that's possible before opening your account.

Otherwise you could wire them the money from your U.S. account, which could be free if you have enough funds in the right bank.

In my case, I get $15 wire transfers from Schwab, but "some people" don't have to pay for them...

In most good sized cities (i.e. Hà Nội, Huế, Đà Nẵng, Hội An, Tam Kỳ, Quảng Ngãi, Quy Nhơn, Nha Trang, Phan Rang–Tháp Chàm, Phan Thiết, Bà Rịa,  Vũng Tàu, HCMC and elsewhere; my experience) there is at least one major supermarket that sells groceries and household goods (Big C, Mega Market, Lotte Mart, etc) and takes credit cards.

However, cash prices are always much better in local markets and myriad types of household goods stores.

OceanBeach92107
Some people who get clothing made in Vietnam ask the tailor to include a secret money pocket inside the waistband.

Useful when traveling with larger sums of cash, especially if you need to open your wallet to show police you only have so much coffee money...
qnbui

@OceanBeach92107 Thank you for the detailed explanation. I have Charles Schwab but my main bank is a Credit Union right now. I'll get a second bank that refunds ATM fees like Charles Schwab before I retire and move to VN so I have 2 sources of funds. I don't use hotel and AirBNB safes because they have override codes or keys for when guests leave and the code have been changed.

goodolboy
came home to this one evening after going out for coffee, turns out safes are not that safe after all, better under the bed!

safe-1.png
Guest2023
I had a safe for 14-years, no problems. Just use an ATM card each week, that way you dont need to carry much cash. Pay your landlord by e-banking. Hide money in a place at home that is very hard to find, the first thing thiefs will look for is a safe.
goodolboy
I had a safe for 14-years, no problems. Just use an ATM card each week, that way you dont need to carry much cash. Pay your landlord by e-banking. Hide money in a place at home that is very hard to find, the first thing thiefs will look for is a safe.
- @colinoscapee

must admit, this was going back a bit 2009 & ATM's dont divy out gold & diamonds1f910.svg like I said, would have been better under the bed even worse some of the stuff was not hers as she was running a dodgy road side pawn brokers/money lenders from the house like all her family did! But hey, just part of the Vietnam storey & makes a good yarn over some beers!
jcsaunders
I thought about buying a cheap smaller ( more theift portable Safe ) ...
Fill with rocks and leave visible.
Then stash some cash elsewhere and in the bank.
Posted camera signs 24/7. 
Since I have a large garden compound  I posted a Caution Booby Traps sign
alexneoh
Pardon me if I'm wrong whereby never heard before in VN where ATM machine being hijack out from its foot print from the bank premises. Thief here is rather opportunistic than planned. By displaying a safe, it will be obvious that something is and will be important to be store inside. Unless for fire proof ( if you got one of these ), a safe is just a safe by its name and reality may not be the safe which it suppose to be. 

Important stuff, never leave your sight and bring along especially the passport as it can be use for identity verification should it happen to be stop by a Cong An. Could be inconvenience but staying vigilant is better to regret later. Leaving stuff at home, would deem the most dangerous place is the most safest place. Have it scattered around if you may. Rapport with neigbour / security guard is good as it will help to blow the primarily trumpet for potential break in. Not a fool proof though... but at least to mitigate at bare minimum.

Hard cash... nobody protect best than the ATM here in VN. Locality challenges, plan wisely. Pain in the arse occasionally is better than fallacious grievance even for that just 1 time. As for rent payment, believe the landlord is more than happy to receive a transfer payments. It will save him time and hell of fuel.

1f603.svg
Guest2023
Pardon me if I'm wrong whereby never heard before in VN where ATM machine being hijack out from its foot print from the bank premises. Thief here is rather opportunistic than planned. By displaying a safe, it will be obvious that something is and will be important to be store inside. Unless for fire proof ( if you got one of these ), a safe is just a safe by its name and reality may not be the safe which it suppose to be. 

Important stuff, never leave your sight and bring along especially the passport as it can be use for identity verification should it happen to be stop by a Cong An. Could be inconvenience but staying vigilant is better to regret later. Leaving stuff at home, would deem the most dangerous place is the most safest place. Have it scattered around if you may. Rapport with neigbour / security guard is good as it will help to blow the primarily trumpet for potential break in. Not a fool proof though... but at least to mitigate at bare minimum.

Hard cash... nobody protect best than the ATM here in VN. Locality challenges, plan wisely. Pain in the arse occasionally is better than fallacious grievance even for that just 1 time. As for rent payment, believe the landlord is more than happy to receive a transfer payments. It will save him time and hell of fuel.

1f603.svg
- @alexneoh

Your advice to take a passport everywhere with you is really, really ,bad advice.
alexneoh
@colinoscapee

Can enlighten on what could possibly goes wrong? Likewise was told to hold my passport whenever I go but now seems otherwise. Thanks in advance.
Guest2023
@colinoscapee

Can enlighten on what could possibly goes wrong? Likewise was told to hold my passport whenever I go but now seems otherwise. Thanks in advance.
- @alexneoh

Do I really need to enlighten you as to why carrying your passport is dangerous?

Carry a copy of your passport, thats all you need.
goodolboy
@colinoscapee

- @alexneoh

14+ years here & never carry my PP, knowing me I would have lost it or got it wet or something after a week max & that would worry me a lot more than being stopped & asked for it which to be honest I have never been. I do have a Vietnamese driving licence with me always though!
findgw

@OceanBeach92107  Correct. When I travel I have a thin moneybelt under my pants with cash, cards, Passport, IDP etc and a cheap knock off wallet in back pocket with USD 10 or 15 equivalent local currency. In Bali years back was pulled over by a local cop who said I failed to stop at the Stop Sign.  There was,  of course, no Stop Sign. I said, How much is the fine? And his answer, no kidding "How much you got?". So I pulled out my Decoy Wallet, opened it and he literally scooped out the 100,000 local and waved me on my way. Never argue. Never. I've had mates do 3 and 4 nights in a Kuta Cell for arguing and calling for their "rights". Collective GEESE!

gobot
Vietnam is still a cash society. Only about 27% adults have bank accounts. Valuables are squirreled away at home. It is easy, be clever.

There is ecommerce here, you can order online, but the sites often deliver COD!  I always paid rent with cash, living in smaller places. Maybe big complexes allow bank transfer, but you probably won't have a local bank account anyway. Paid cash for the motorbikes too. Grocery stores and mall stores take credit cards.

Keep your money in the states, yes good idea to have two accounts, two ATM cards. Cards break and expire.

You can buy safes too heavy to carry for $200, but most people just live in secure houses, iron doors, bars on windows etc, and their biggest asset is the motorbike, which, when they are out, they only park in guarded lots (Saigon anyway).
Mac68
Gee Whiz,
Just wondering why post what is supposed to be unknown. Years ago, Grandfather buried in mason jar in the garden, at night.
Mac
Guest2023
"Vietnam is still a cash society. Only about 27% adults have bank accounts. "

Depends whose statistics you believe. The State Bank of VN states that 70% of adults now have bank accounts.

According to the State Bank of Vietnam's statistics in 2020, 70 per cent of adults in Vietnam have a bank account, but nearly half of them do not have access to credit.
Travelfar

Depends whose statistics you believe. The State Bank of VN states that 70% of adults now have bank accounts.

According to the State Bank of Vietnam's statistics in 2020, 70 per cent of adults in Vietnam have a bank account, but nearly half of them do not have access to credit.
- @colinoscapee
I believe ALL of the larger companies are now REQUIRED to pay their employees via bank accounts.  Therefore, they have bank accounts even if they keep no significant money in them.  When I go past the ATMs on Friday evenings and Monday mornings, there are usually lines to get out cash.
gobot

- @colinoscapee

Corrected! It was a 2017 stat.
But, do you really believe 70%?  I say the State Bank is "misinforming". People in my hem are spending all the money they can scrounge every week. Anything saved is in a bag or box in the back.
Guest2023

- @colinoscapee

But, do you really believe 70%?  I say the State Bank is "misinforming". People in my hem are spending all the money they can scrounge every week. Anything saved is in a bag or box in the back.
- @gobot

Most workers are paid electronically now, to be paid electronically you need a bank account. If people dont like banks why are there over 40 different banks brands in Viet Nam. People also do a lot of online shopping, transfers, bill payments online, all these need bank accounts.
goodolboy

- @colinoscapee

- @gobot

yes & proof of that is the long queue's at all the ATM's outside the factories on pay day & I have seen some ATM's actually run out of money on pay days & holidays.

Most workers are paid electronically now, to be paid electronically you need a bank account. If people dont like banks why are there over 40 different banks brands in Viet Nam. People also do a lot of online shopping, transfers, bill payments online, all these need bank accounts.
- @colinoscapee

Articles to help you in your expat project in Vietnam

• Dating In Vietnam
    Dating In Vietnam

If you're considering moving to Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, the dating scene may be of interest to you. ...

• Making phone calls in Vietnam
    Making phone calls in Vietnam

The telecommunications sector in Vietnam has flourished throughout the past two decades. Like many foreigners, ...

• Moving to Vietnam with your pet
    Moving to Vietnam with your pet

If you are planning to move to Vietnam with a pet, there are a number of formalities that have to be completed ...

• Getting married in Vietnam
    Getting married in Vietnam

Have you met that perfect someone who you want to spend the rest of your life with? Luckily, getting married in ...

• Driving in Vietnam
    Driving in Vietnam

Vietnam is known for four categories of lush and diverse landscapes, and one of the easiest ways to see firsthand ...

• The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi
    The most popular neighbourhoods in Hanoi

Formerly known as Thang Long, Vietnam's present capital city was renamed Hanoi in 1831. This enchanting, ...

• Sports activities in Hanoi
    Sports activities in Hanoi

We know there's a lot of attention on the drinking culture in Hanoi, but what about the options for a healthy ...

• Internet in Vietnam
    Internet in Vietnam

Vietnam is currently ranked 39th internationally for internet connection and has an average download speed of ...

All of Vietnam's guide articles